How does your IRL reflect in your writing?

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Did you decide to write about things you know, or run as far away from them as possible? Do you feel that your writing style has been influenced by school or work? I do scientific technical writing in real life and am trying to figure out how to make my characters more vivid and emotional.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I like to write about things that I know, I believe that most, if not all, of my characters, are a piece of me.
My writing style and taste has been influenced by the things I like and consume, that's why I like to have references everywhere I can.

It's really hard to write things that I don't know or am far away from, but it's better if you get an equivalent. Like Red said in
"You're probably not a highly-trained government assassin questioning their choice of career, but the odds are good that you've done unpleasant or boring work out of habit while mentally distancing yourself from your situation"

J_Chemist

I write about stuff I know and include my personal training, knowledge, first hand experiences, and information on subjects I've researched/learned. That way it comes across as more believable/realistic. If I don't know it, I take that extra step to figure it out so I write and not look like an idiot. But, honestly, sometimes I do just wing it and hope for the best. :blobtaco: Life's a party and I'm here to get drunk.

C_A_D_M_U_S

Mixed. I write things I already know and combine it with stuff I imagined out of nowhere (or things I recently learned & got inspired from). My writing style is heavily influenced by the paperbacks I read.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
literally run a blog
Everyone should read it.
Did you decide to write about things you know, or run as far away from them as possible? Do you feel that your writing style has been influenced by school or work? I do scientific technical writing in real life and am trying to figure out how to make my characters more vivid and emotional.
I write about things I know or don't know, but past experiences influence my writing.

miyoga

When I get the itch to keep writing (I'm really bad about this and probably need to change it if I want to do a series of shorts that may or may not culminate in a novel), things from the real world only serve as connection points. Mentioning popular tv shows/actors/actresses or taking relatively believable situations and putting them in an unbelievable world, all of it is just meant to keep someone reading. I'll put a lot of things in there where it's like "hey, I got that reference", just to make people smile a bit. I'm pretty sure that if a geologist read my only completed work that they'd have a good chuckle.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I try not to use any irl event that happen to me. I think the only thing that reflect on my writing are the fact that I'm introverted and not really sociable and that reflect in a lack of dialogues since I have a hard time making it to be casual.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
to be honest I just write whatever comes to mind. I juts have these damn vivid moments of thoughts about a story that could be interesting when im working or just listing to music. It's mostly vague but I use that as a draft and combine whatever I find on the internet or something relating to it.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
My MC is the opposite of me, she like what I hate and hate what I like.

Because I hate something, I know the reason why I hate it and why someone else would. The same as what I love, I understands them deeply so I know why someone else would hate it.

ACertainPassingUser

My writing is influenced by what I read.

That's how many people got inspired to start writing themselves.

And original writing is massively easier to write after someone experience the event themselves and tries to explain it into writing afterwards.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I usually write what I know but whenever it comes to certain subjects or topics that I'm not sure of I do tons of research so that I can know it. The library and Google are your friend whenever it comes to finding things out. That, and most of the stuff that I've experienced IRL have allowed me to write in a way that can be relatable to real people and their experiences.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
My world and my characters all derive from exaggerated pieces of me, or in contrast to me. Everything about how I think is used to build a gross, nasty, loathsome world full of characters with obsessions and needs to be more, to be happy, to be kind, to be hateful, and more.
It is all things I know, which I explore using the writing skills that my teacher (my mom) gave me to do fiction and to write AP essays on history and human geography. My style of writing probably takes strongest from a few books whose writing just resonated deeply with the writer side of me. I was like ‘Yes. These writing styles, this energy, is the best way for me to write.’ These books are: anything by my all-time favorite author Richard Roberts, who writes books such as “Sweet Dreams Are Made Of Teeth” and “Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m A Supervillain;” “Fly Trap” and “Fly by Night” by Frances Hardinge; “Chrysalis”; and “Nowhere Stars.” The themes I enjoy putting in my work are inspired by the themes of Danganronpa, of which I am a hardcore fan, but I have a sucky laptop and little money for gaming, so I can’t obtain as much as I want.

Mystic_Grasshopper

My world and my characters all derive from exaggerated pieces of me, or in contrast to me. Everything about how I think is used to build a gross, nasty, loathsome world full of characters with obsessions and needs to be more, to be happy, to be kind, to be hateful, and more.
It is all things I know, which I explore using the writing skills that my teacher (my mom) gave me to do fiction and to write AP essays on history and human geography. My style of writing probably takes strongest from a few books whose writing just resonated deeply with the writer side of me. I was like ‘Yes. These writing styles, this energy, is the best way for me to write.’ These books are: anything by my all-time favorite author Richard Roberts, who writes books such as “Sweet Dreams Are Made Of Teeth” and “Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m A Supervillain;” “Fly Trap” and “Fly by Night” by Frances Hardinge; “Chrysalis”; and “Nowhere Stars.” The themes I enjoy putting in my work are inspired by the themes of Danganronpa, of which I am a hardcore fan, but I have a sucky laptop and little money for gaming, so I can’t obtain as much as I want.
Every time i see you, I think of the game series Fear and hunger.