How long does it take you to write a chapter?

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Took me about 20 min to make a outline and about 4 hour to write out a chap, but since ihave this tiny problem where i think what i have written down is trash i'll just write it over and over while adding and taking things out of it.

2k words in 4 hours on a good day, assuming I know what I'm trying to write. most of the time is spent figuring out details, coming up ideas and dialouge.

now double that for editing and polishing.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
If it's about writing itself, I typically get a 3k word chapter done in 3-6 hours. Usually spread across two or three days, but that's only usually. I can do 2 chapters a day or one chapter per 2 weeks sometimes.

After that though comes a lot of edits, most of them as I write the next few chapters and realize I haven't added something obvious that should have been there. Those can take up to months, sometimes even after the chapter in question has been published.
Then I'm in the "getting distracted by hearing foxes and raccoons spectrum."
I just have to go out and see them whenever I hear them.
That and opening my email every 30 minutes for some reason.

MajorKerina

Used to be much faster but now I'm slowing down due to later series complexity and cultural details. Also though I love dictating on my phone, it makes for a lot of necessary error correction. So it's around 500 to 1000 words an hour.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
Some chapters, 2 hours for 1.5k words.

Most chapters, 4-5 hours for 1.5k words. This includes research time for various topics covered in the chapter, gotta love trying to stick to realism in a fantasy story.

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
Normally, maybe 1-2 hours a chapter (2-3K) for the rough draft and double to make it a chapter...editing however long is needed.

Right now.....ehhhh....forever since I have barely any time for writing currently.

AuthorsDread

Used to be that way, but after filling out the story Bible for my stories I felt a need to change up the program. Every chapter is a self contained story arc, that each will link up to a overall season arc, which will contribute to the volume arc. A volume will contain 3 seasons, each season will have 10 chapters.
Very methodological, keep up the good work!
Normally, maybe 1-2 hours a chapter (2-3K) for the rough draft and double to make it a chapter...editing however long is needed.

Right now.....ehhhh....forever since I have barely any time for writing currently.
You'll get back to writing when it is the right time, no pressure. Got to find balance in life first.
Took me about 20 min to make a outline and about 4 hour to write out a chap, but since ihave this tiny problem where i think what i have written down is trash i'll just write it over and over while adding and taking things out of it.
Do you make outline for one chapter alone then go ahead and type it up, or several? Maybe 5, 10 or so?
2k words in 4 hours on a good day, assuming I know what I'm trying to write. most of the time is spent figuring out details, coming up ideas and dialouge.

now double that for editing and polishing.
For me, editing eats up most of the time, because i'm not just reading for the fun of it, i'm searching for errors and even after a lengthy time of editing, i still appear to miss something, like the simplest words spelt wrongly and so on...

Last edited:

JustTheBlips

I work a full-time job and it takes me a lot of on-and-off writing sessions, but probably about 5-8 hours total over the course of a week.

cristigon

Between 30 minutes to an hour for 900-2k words. Editing is just reading through it and correcting mistakes and issues. About 15 minutes per read totals to ~30 minutes editing.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Wow! You guys are so fast! It takes me between 2 and 3 MONTHS to write a new chapter. My chapters are all no shorter than 5K words so it takes me a while. I usually write between 300 and 500 words in a good day but most days I can only write a sentence. Between work, editing, and other stuff, I have little time left, and in most cases, I spend my writing time doing research so what I write is somewhat accurate.

cristigon

Wow! You guys are so fast! It takes me between 2 and 3 MONTHS to write a new chapter. My chapters are all no shorter than 5K words so it takes me a while. I usually write between 300 and 500 words in a good day but most days I can only write a sentence. Between work, editing, and other stuff, I have little time left, and in most cases, I spend my writing time doing research so what I write is somewhat accurate.
There’s a difference between writing well and writing fast. I’m 210% sure that my editing leaves behind mistakes I’ll only catch a year from now.

zephyrzane

I write 1000 words a day, no matter what. So, I can usually update my story once every one or two weeks, since I mostly work on my novels. The serial is more just a fun breaktime activity.

tatsuya

ken not gonna lie it's time consuming 1plus edit and adjustment and reread the chapter 3times to make sure it's presentable

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Anywhere between 2 hours and 2 days to write my first draft (usually about 3k words long).

Then if Im iffy about what I wanna write then I give it a pass through, ideally the next day.

Then I do one pass with Free Grammarly, in particular scanning the red and blue underlines. I dont have the pro, and I often find I like how I phrased a sentence better than how Grammarly would. That said I'm writing in first person so I get a lot of leeway with that. Third person I'd have to be more flowery.

Then copy it back into SH editor and do final revisions.

At the end of it all, a new chapter is born, whereupon it will be seen by 5 people and get 1 heart xP (I am extremely grateful for thosecwho continue reading my work, it lets me know I am positively affecting someone's life.)

I should start looking up random words in English to see if I can add anything new on the vocab front, but I find a more conversational style works too.