How many of you have used video games as inspiration for your work?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
A videogame insipred me to begin rewriting my story. It's still not a videogame story but it was affected by one.

SailusGebel

One of my novels is directly inspired by a game. I have a lot of stuff already written and planned, but I don't have the time to continue writing it right now.

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Oh definitely, I plays around with Lobotomy Corp. and Library of Ruina currently, they definitely have influences on my stories.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You think Boardwalk Empire was inspired by monopoly?
Yeah. That's how all my games with my family ended.

Domoviye

Necromancer Unmanned came about due to a video game, Total War: War Hammer 3.

For a few months in VS. matches, the meta had the undead factions do very well against everyone even the Demons of Chaos, because they'd swamp the objectives. So I got to thinking, in a fantasy world where demons are attacking, maybe the saviour wouldn't be paladins, light wizards, or a chosen one, but a necromancer and their army of the dead.

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
My main antagonist was directly inspired by one glyph representing one character in a rhythm game.

That one glyph indirectly led me, along with some other shit I was working through, to start my book.

And then the music inspired me to continue.
Then it inspired me to continue again.

beast_regards

My story wasn't inspired by any specific game, but it was inspired by the specific game mechanic, so it counts.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Something I haven't uploaded on here (but might someday) was influenced by Dark Souls and Elden Ring with heavy mood, some ambiguity and such. I'd say a bit of Diablo is in there as well when it comes to some religious stuff I use.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yes. I've got a Yu-Gi-Oh! themed MOBA in my story. First link in my signature.

Jemini

I'd have to say mine are more inspired by table-top games than they are video games.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Warcraft 3 is my favorite game of all time, and Arthas is probably my favorite protagonist/antagonist (nostalgia pilled, there are probably hundreds of better-written characters out there.) Warcraft 3 affected the world and the story I write.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Yes. Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina are the biggest inspirations to my stuff.

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
I feel like Modern video games have such great stories that it's hard to be inspired in some way.

Bobple

Not yet, games have inspired me for when it comes to making tabletop stories but not for anything written yet... Hmmm... Maybe indirectly, playing and watching others play games, now that I think about given me some ideas, but no whole story or even its fundamentals, just some small things here or there. But maybe one day that will change.