How many paragraphs do you write?

So what's your paragraphs number?

• Massive blocks of text

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every paragraph is a sentence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
Or more specifically how often do you make new paragraphs with you wrote your novel.

Novels are massive blocks of text, but usually divided it into multiple paragraphs when the story veered into a different topic, timeframe, and other factors. But how often is a matter of preference.

Do you usually wrote like:

So I walked on the sidewalk and going about my day seeing that for whatever reason the cars seems to be speeding up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about today to warrant people speeding like they're on a race track, maybe everyone collectively overslept and running late to their jobs, or something is going wrong with the world today. How in the world should I know? It definitely feels like someone is gonna get into an accident with everyone speeding around like delinquents. Seriously it doesn't feel safe at all despite not intending on crossing the road with how fast they're driving around like there's no speed limit. Is there no speed limit sign around here or something? I know this is a little backwater town but there are still roads and shite and it's not like this is a lawless place as far as I know. Whoa! Think I saw... What the hell that guy's head is ripped cleaned off after tripping down the road and got his head ran over by a speeding car, which I'm pretty sure that 'tripping' was him getting shot in the head then falling down said road and got his head crushed. What has this world came to? Seriously. It feels like everything has gone down hill as time passes. Haven't we had a pretty good track records of advancing our society as a whole since the stone age or whatever? Why is things getting worse in the current age? There's no way of telling without looking at politics and all that nonsense that I honestly have no time for. I'm just someone who wants to take a stroll and breath in fresh air which is probably hoping for too much with how polluted the world is. I just wanna have a nice day off and I just witness a murder! Why can't things just go right for once!? Also the fact that there was a shootout in the local convenience store yesterday is also not helping! Have to go extra far than usual if I wanna get any groceries which is not helping how much of a bad day I am having right now!

So I walked on the sidewalk and going about my day seeing that for whatever reason the cars seems to be speeding up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about today to warrant people speeding like they're on a race track, maybe everyone collectively overslept and running late to their jobs, or something is going wrong with the world today. How in the world should I know? It definitely feels like someone is gonna get into an accident with everyone speeding around like delinquents. Seriously it doesn't feel safe at all despite not intending on crossing the road with how fast they're driving around like there's no speed limit. Is there no speed limit sign around here or something? I know this is a little backwater town but there are still roads and shite and it's not like this is a lawless place as far as I know.

Whoa! Think I saw... What the hell that guy's head is ripped cleaned off after tripping down the road and got his head ran over by a speeding car, which I'm pretty sure that 'tripping' was him getting shot in the head then falling down said road and got his head crushed. What has this world came to? Seriously. It feels like everything has gone down hill as time passes. Haven't we had a pretty good track records of advancing our society as a whole since the stone age or whatever? Why is things getting worse in the current age? There's no way of telling without looking at politics and all that nonsense that I honestly have no time for.

I'm just someone who wants to take a stroll and breath in fresh air which is probably hoping for too much with how polluted the world is. I just wanna have a nice day off and I just witness a murder! Why can't things just go right for once!? Also the fact that there was a shootout in the local convenience store yesterday is also not helping! Have to go extra far than usual if I wanna get any groceries which is not helping how much of a bad day I am having right now!

So I walked on the sidewalk and going about my day seeing that for whatever reason the cars seems to be speeding up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about today to warrant people speeding like they're on a race track, maybe everyone collectively overslept and running late to their jobs, or something is going wrong with the world today. How in the world should I know?

It definitely feels like someone is gonna get into an accident with everyone speeding around like delinquents. Seriously it doesn't feel safe at all despite not intending on crossing the road with how fast they're driving around like there's no speed limit.

Is there no speed limit sign around here or something? I know this is a little backwater town but there are still roads and shite and it's not like this is a lawless place as far as I know.

Whoa! Think I saw... What the hell that guy's head is ripped cleaned off after tripping down the road and got his head ran over by a speeding car, which I'm pretty sure that 'tripping' was him getting shot in the head then falling down said road and got his head crushed.

What has this world came to? Seriously. It feels like everything has gone down hill as time passes. Haven't we had a pretty good track records of advancing our society as a whole since the stone age or whatever? Why is things getting worse in the current age? There's no way of telling without looking at politics and all that nonsense that I honestly have no time for.

I'm just someone who wants to take a stroll and breath in fresh air which is probably hoping for too much with how polluted the world is. I just wanna have a nice day off and I just witness a murder! Why can't things just go right for once!?

Also the fact that there was a shootout in the local convenience store yesterday is also not helping! Have to go extra far than usual if I wanna get any groceries which is not helping how much of a bad day I am having right now!

I usually go for the middle option, maybe breaking things into smaller paragraphs if it's an action scene where from the character's pov things moved quickly and don't have time to monologues on one topic for too long without getting themselves killed (Unless they're a spectator)
Also breaking into a new paragraph when a character is talking.
Edit: Since my novels are very dialogue heavy its structure is more similar to the third example. It's more like example 2 if there's not a lot of characters talking.

Talk about your paragraphs shenanigans.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Or more specifically how often do you make new paragraphs with you wrote your novel.

Novels are massive blocks of text, but usually divided it into multiple paragraphs when the story veered into a different topic, timeframe, and other factors. But how often is a matter of preference.

So I walked on the sidewalk and going about my day seeing that for whatever reason the cars seems to be speeding up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about today to warrant people speeding like they're on a race track, maybe everyone collectively overslept and running late to their jobs, or something is going wrong with the world today. How in the world should I know? It definitely feels like someone is gonna get into an accident with everyone speeding around like delinquents. Seriously it doesn't feel safe at all despite not intending on crossing the road with how fast they're driving around like there's no speed limit. Is there no speed limit sign around here or something? I know this is a little backwater town but there are still roads and shite and it's not like this is a lawless place as far as I know. Whoa! Think I saw... What the hell that guy's head is ripped cleaned off after tripping down the road and got his head ran over by a speeding car, which I'm pretty sure that 'tripping' was him getting shot in the head then falling down said road and got his head crushed. What has this world came to? Seriously. It feels like everything has gone down hill as time passes. Haven't we had a pretty good track records of advancing our society as a whole since the stone age or whatever? Why is things getting worse in the current age? There's no way of telling without looking at politics and all that nonsense that I honestly have no time for. I'm just someone who wants to take a stroll and breath in fresh air which is probably hoping for too much with how polluted the world is. I just wanna have a nice day off and I just witness a murder! Why can't things just go right for once!? Also the fact that there was a shootout in the local convenience store yesterday is also not helping! Have to go extra far than usual if I wanna get any groceries which is not helping how much of a bad day I am having right now!

So I walked on the sidewalk and going about my day seeing that for whatever reason the cars seems to be speeding up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about today to warrant people speeding like they're on a race track, maybe everyone collectively overslept and running late to their jobs, or something is going wrong with the world today. How in the world should I know? It definitely feels like someone is gonna get into an accident with everyone speeding around like delinquents. Seriously it doesn't feel safe at all despite not intending on crossing the road with how fast they're driving around like there's no speed limit. Is there no speed limit sign around here or something? I know this is a little backwater town but there are still roads and shite and it's not like this is a lawless place as far as I know.

Whoa! Think I saw... What the hell that guy's head is ripped cleaned off after tripping down the road and got his head ran over by a speeding car, which I'm pretty sure that 'tripping' was him getting shot in the head then falling down said road and got his head crushed. What has this world came to? Seriously. It feels like everything has gone down hill as time passes. Haven't we had a pretty good track records of advancing our society as a whole since the stone age or whatever? Why is things getting worse in the current age? There's no way of telling without looking at politics and all that nonsense that I honestly have no time for.

I'm just someone who wants to take a stroll and breath in fresh air which is probably hoping for too much with how polluted the world is. I just wanna have a nice day off and I just witness a murder! Why can't things just go right for once!? Also the fact that there was a shootout in the local convenience store yesterday is also not helping! Have to go extra far than usual if I wanna get any groceries which is not helping how much of a bad day I am having right now!

So I walked on the sidewalk and going about my day seeing that for whatever reason the cars seems to be speeding up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about today to warrant people speeding like they're on a race track, maybe everyone collectively overslept and running late to their jobs, or something is going wrong with the world today. How in the world should I know?

It definitely feels like someone is gonna get into an accident with everyone speeding around like delinquents. Seriously it doesn't feel safe at all despite not intending on crossing the road with how fast they're driving around like there's no speed limit.

Is there no speed limit sign around here or something? I know this is a little backwater town but there are still roads and shite and it's not like this is a lawless place as far as I know.

Whoa! Think I saw... What the hell that guy's head is ripped cleaned off after tripping down the road and got his head ran over by a speeding car, which I'm pretty sure that 'tripping' was him getting shot in the head then falling down said road and got his head crushed.

What has this world came to? Seriously. It feels like everything has gone down hill as time passes. Haven't we had a pretty good track records of advancing our society as a whole since the stone age or whatever? Why is things getting worse in the current age? There's no way of telling without looking at politics and all that nonsense that I honestly have no time for.

I'm just someone who wants to take a stroll and breath in fresh air which is probably hoping for too much with how polluted the world is. I just wanna have a nice day off and I just witness a murder! Why can't things just go right for once!?

Also the fact that there was a shootout in the local convenience store yesterday is also not helping! Have to go extra far than usual if I wanna get any groceries which is not helping how much of a bad day I am having right now!

I usually go for the middle option, maybe breaking things into smaller paragraphs if it's an action scene where from the character's pov things moved quickly and don't have time to monologues on one topic for too long without getting themselves killed (Unless they're a spectator)

If you picked anything but the third example, you are losing readers.

No one like to see a wall of text. It is like sitting me down at the table and give me a mountain of food and said "dig in".

Succubiome

First is definitely not enough broken up IMO, unless you're doing extremely specific things with it, like a run-on sentence for the sake of comedy or someone panicking in a claustrophobic way. I use a variety, though-- sometimes there isn't a good point for pausing, so paragraphs get a bit on the longer side as the MC ponders a single topic for a bit.

Sometimes I use a single sentence for emphasis.

Or one word.

Like, paragraphs are one of the biggest ways you influence the pacing of your reader moving between different parts of the story -- although sometimes punctuation makes a big difference too -- and sometimes you want your reader to consider all of a thing together, or linger a little on a moment, sometimes you want a something faster paced, and sometimes you want to break up the action with just a brief moment or break up the action by "zooming in" on something and using a big paragraph to describe something important.

Single shot films work much better than single paragraph books, so it's not a perfect comparison, but if you were making a film, you wouldn't swap between different cameras at an even pace no matter what was going on.

...right?

The_3rd_Book

Pedagogical Cannibalism?
I usually write five-paragraph essays in formal settings for public speech although the number can vary. For that reason, I'm number two, but I enjoy novels with number three the best.

Last edited:

melchi

What is a custom title?

Edit: Since my novels are very dialogue heavy its structure is more similar to the third example. It's more like example 2 if there's not a lot of characters talking.

Every character gets their own paragraph.

ACertainPassingUser

Massive block of text ❌❌❌
Big block of text ❌❌❌
Every paragraph is sentence ❌❌❌

Many paragraph with two or three sentences ✔️✔️

In Webnovel, reading big block of text is very-very annoying to read. Especially when the author is inexperienced, the whole paragraph feel like word vomit on a massive disguting wall of text.

And if every paragraph is sentence, that will force the reader scroll too much just to read a bothersome loose sentences that should've been grouped to a single paragraph.

But, I still don't know how some estabilished author managed to make big block of text doesn't feel like a pain to read tho. Maybe it's about paragraph-ing or formatting ? Idk.

TotallyHuman

3rd. But my sentences are pretty long. Judging by sample text from one of the novels I've written.

It was quite nice to return to it, in fact, because I remembered how I was writing them:
At around 12 O’clock, Lachersia came and explained the change in her treatment: apparently the king of the country she was summoned to has decided to forgive her offences against the crown on the account of her special circumstances and the uniqueness of her identity as the champion of the Goddess of Fate and because of it, he was willing to allow Jennifer to have a private audience with him in order to explain her situation and discuss their future relationship thereafter. The audience was scheduled for tomorrow’s morning.

After Lachersia had relayed the message, she swiftly left as she had a lot of duties of her own… not. She comfortably sat down on the chair that was offered to her by one of the maids and with a smile, began looking around the new room, as if checking if it was good enough.

The maids by that time had prepared lunch that consisted of many dishes with things like a vegetable soup, dishes of meat that looked very appetizing, pies of various shapes and colors, salads, fish and a lot of desserts. The quantity of food was overwhelming, so Jennifer naturally put on a confused expression. Seeing Jennifer acting like this, Lachersia explained that it was a buffet-styled lunch, so she could pick whatever she wanted and the rest would be taken away once they were done.
The scene with the buffet was done because I wasn't sure how a royal guest would be treated.
Jennifer would naturally not be called to dine with His Majesty, and the audience would be scheduled for next day, and she was important enough for that her dietary preferences, while unknown, had to be catered to to their best abiluty, thus buffet-style lunch where she could pick and choose what she liked.
But because I didn't really understand what kind of food would be served anyway, I had to go and do reasearch and ended up, I think, with a short article excerpt about what they served to the Washington family.
In hindsight, I should've maybe used the real names of some high-class dishes to drop some characterisation for Jennifer as well as a subtle dark joke ("oh, I know how all these are called and how they taste - how strange! My previous life suuuure musta been cushy" lol no u made a wrong conclusion), but it did not occur to me back then.
I also should've made them get Jennifer more than a room - but didn't think of it.
I am still satisfied with however, because I kind of enjoyed what I had written.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

third is the only correct way to write webnovels, and thats a fact. The second can also be acceptable depending on the reader, but the first is atrocious. Its okay in hardcover format, but its isnt good with webnovels because a webnovel chapter is just one long continuous screen. In hardcovers, physical books, its cut up between two page with four or five paragraphs each depending on page length. Its basically like the second example. Its divided into parts that is easier to read.

"Then you can further make it more distinguishable whenever dialogue comes," Like i just did here.

But you cant do that in the third example. Its literally a WALL of text with few to no indentations to differentiate new paragraphs. "And then you have dialogue being used like this," in the middle of that giant wall. And that makes it harder to know who is talking. Your eyes are used to dialogue skipping a line.
"Like how I'm doing now."
"And here," Whenever someone else is talking.

Now imagine those two dialogues being side by side. "Like this, for example." "And this." Sure, you can sorta tell its different lines of dialogue here but thats because this paragraph is short. If it went on and on with five paraphraphs behind it and dozen more after in a continuous sequence, "With more dialogue scattered here and there," then eventually it get VERY difficult and your eyes grow tired and you grow impatient and fucking hell writing all this shit is annoying me. I'm gonna stop now.

ForestDweller

I go with the third one.

I'm essentially writing a JP webnovel. Might as well write it like one. :s_smile:

KrakenRiderEmma

The third one is obviously the best. But other than "focus of action / thought / dialogue switches to a different character," which I can automatically remember to break into a new paragraph, I usually write in paragraphs that are big but not massive (option 2) then split them up carefully afterwards.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on what the situation calls for. I remember in 6th grade being trained to write a 14-sentence paragraph for papers. That helped a lot in university, but I had to unlearn that urge to write long paragraphs for fiction.

MouseDestruction

Pretty sure I read somewhere that 98% of people use scribblehub on mobile.

Big block of text takes up the whole screen and hard to read.

Also keep pictures small if you use them.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
It can vary depending on what I'm going for. If I want to get in-depth at what it is I'm talking about, I'll do it in as lengthy of a paragraph as I need. Rarely do I have a word salad, but if the topic that I'm discussing needs the length that a word salad provides, I'll write it with as much gravitas and flair as I need. Usually, these involve character emotions, large-scale plot twists/reveals, or philosophical discussions. I'll use every trick under the book from personification, metaphor and simile, and I'll break standard grammar rules if need be. Especially if I'm writing in first person since people don't normally think in proper grammar.

However, if I'm just describing something like scenery, character looks, or just basic actions, then just a three-sentence paragraph is needed. An amateur writer will write exclusively three-sentence paragraphs. An experienced writer will write word salads. The greatest of the great writers will shift paragraph length depending on the situation.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I did the second one a lot, but I have diversified my paragraphs. It depends on what I am trying to achieve with the paragraph. Sometimes it is only one sentence for a dialogue/impact. Other times it is 7-8 sentences.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I fall just about between 2 and three. Just depends on what I'm writing about.

ViviRosee

It depends on the paragraph tbh. Sometimes it's massive, like 5 sentences (or more). Other times it's only 3 or 4. Sometimes it's just 1 sentence.