Writing How much time do you spend writing a chapter?

Malonymous

For example, if your goal is to write something like 1-2k words per chapter, do try to write for a few hours at a time and finish a first draft in one go?

And do you set personal goals for yourself like "I'm going to write [x] number of words a day no matter what"?

Monk_Origins

My chapters are around 1.8k long, and writing one takes about 3-5 hours. But planning the conversations and interaction in my head tends to take 1-3 days. As for "Writing X in X", I allowed myself to not to worry about that until I open a monthly donation service- Supscribestar or Patreon

namio

My main story (ie. the one I actually like the most... I'm biased even towards my own children) is about 3.5k-5k words and if I'm lucky I get it done in 5-8 hours. If I'm not, I'm up at 3 am eating chicken katsu and one day late. Still writing. I have a once a week release schedule. (Is that what I'm doing right now? Yeah. Am I reading up on bazi instead? Yeah.)

Accounting for research and plotting, I've long since lost track of how much hours I've spent on it. Way too much time also goes for me on keeping track of details and past subplots that pick up later; frankly speaking, given that I write for free, I don't feel too guilty being late a day or two LOL Part of it is also so I don't burn out midway... Writing a webnovel with 5 arcs isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. I've done NaNoWriMo and its sister events for over 5 years, and it's just not a strategy that works for me in the long haul.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
I'm the type that write a few then take a break and then continue, that's the way I do it. My minimum words is 1k, mostly around that or sometimes above if I'm in a good mood. I used to write a lot daily, but got burn out fast so I dropped it.

As for personal goal, I wanted to keep 5 or more chapters on my patreon page ahead of the public release, and it seems I can still keep up with it despite how lazy I can be sometimes.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Depends on the story.

For BIAW, I usually spend from 8-10h in one sitting for ~6-7k words. For TWS, I usually spend 4-6h for ~2-3k words. I found out that I have a much easier time writing in the first-person present than third-person past. It all depends on the writer in the end. In the past, I had to spend the same time to write 2-4k words, but with experience, it gets much easier and more comfortable. And yeah, I usually complete it in one sitting. That feels the best for me. Then comes rereading at least twice or thrice and fixing stuff and then re-reading again before release and such.

And no, goals like X per day are not for me. They feel too forced. I sit down and write. How much comes out of it depends on the mood and day. I don't want to drop quality because I'm trying to meet some self-imposed quota. I do keep the number of released chapters constant and regular though.

Farok

I write approximately 1.5k words per day, so my chapters take me around 2 days to make. For the edit, it's about an hour or two at most.
The time it takes me to write (at least) 1k really depends on the day, and the time I have at my disposal. I've found out that when I don't have much time, I'm quicker.

Valmond

My chapters range from a starting range of 3k to 5k, to a minimum range of 10k, to a maximum range of 20k(may or may not go pass this at some point).

Starting off, 3k to 5k. It will take me about three to five hours.

10k to 15k will take me about two to three days.

15k to 20k. This can take me about a week.

As the story progresses, the chapters becomes longer. Which will influence how much time is necessary to spend on it.

DubstheDuke

For lets say 2k words I would probably take about an hour and a half, maybe an hour if I already had a scene fully planned out.

I do write 3k word chapters each day, and I would say that I spend around 1.5 to 2.5 hours a day writing (Depending on how far much planning I've done for a given scene)

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Varies for me greatly since I don't sit and write straight through for the first draft. I'll have to interrupt it sometimes to refer to certain things in past events or continuity stuff. Most of my chapters are usually around 3k-5k words. A chapter without too much complexity will probably take a little over an hour per 1k. Harder chapters can take significantly longer. Add an extra few hours to that usually.
Editing is done over the course of many days, hours varying.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Varies a lot, especially from novel to novel. All my novels have 1 - 1.2K words/chapter but...
Darkest Hour takes me days to write a single chapter.
Dungeon on the other hand takes me a couple of hours if I'm concentrated. Same with Necro.
Dream Life is a mess... Depends on how I'm feeling that day. Writing soothing romance never was my forte.

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Well since writing is my hobby, usually it takes about 30 minutes to indulge in several hundreds of words for me. But I tend to write it on anonymous hours so it's no consistent. If I actually have a clear mind and some motivation I would have finished 1-2k words in one hour

DreamOfRen

Generally I can write 2 chapters in about an hour and 20 minutes. (so about 3,000 words in that time frame)
If I edit or revise then, about 1.5 hours.

YeetusFeetus

For example, if your goal is to write something like 1-2k words per chapter, do try to write for a few hours at a time and finish a first draft in one go?

And do you set personal goals for yourself like "I'm going to write [x] number of words a day no matter what"?
Depends on how I'm feeling, if I'm energetic and inspired I can write 2k words in one hour or less, If I'm feeling bad or under the weather, I might not make one at all or it'll just take me longer.

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
On a good day I'll spend an hour or three and make a couple chaps to edit later.

But since those good days are pretty much bi-monthly, I usually just pay a monkey a few bananas to draw something that looks like art to laugh at. It doesn't help me write, but it makes me happy.

Kaguro

400 words an hour, so about 3 hours for an average length chapter. If I'm writing fluff then I can probably do a full thousand in an hour.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't keep track of it since I write before bed, put the notebook down and try to sleep, and sometimes pick it up again if I have more ideas I need to get out . . . if I even have the energy for that these days. My fetus makes moving around in bed a chore, so these days I just write as much as I can, put the notebook down, and then it stays down.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
My chapters are around 600-700 words, so it takes me around 1-2 hours to write and edit a chapter. And I usually write around 2-4 chapters a day at least.

D

Deleted member 29316

An hour to half a day, depending on the mood. And lots of distractions in between. I'm not a daily writer, but when I'm in my 'writing mode', I usually write within the span of a month.