How ruthless are you when it comes to DNFing stuff?

BlackKnightX

I have a nasty habit of accumulating stuff I wanna see—movies, shows, novels, anime, manga, etc.—but ending up not seeing any of them. I feel like I have to wait for the right moment to watch the show I find the most interesting, so in the meantime I'd better get the "lesser" things over with.

This ends in me finding myself bored and wanting to quit, but guilt kicks in and tells me I have to finish it. Lots of these stuff are classics or stuff lots of people regard as good, and I wanna see what the hype is about only to find out it's not for me. After a certain point, I just drop it and move on.

Are you the same? Do you save the best stuff for last or do you just watch or read whatever you want to right away? And if something doesn't suit your taste even though it's considered good by many, how ruthless are you?

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
I've learned that in most cases when I leave something to read/watch/whatever later, I end up never doing it or not enjoying it at all. Be it because I lose the bit of interest I had, I forget about it, or something else, I've maybe had five cases when I actually really enjoyed something I put off. Now, since I've got college, I sometimes leave things for weekends if my week is packed, but past that I read without putting off whenever I find something I like.

SailusGebel

Ok-ok, you earned this.
Are you the same?
When it comes to books and games, yes.
Do you save the best stuff for last or do you just watch or read whatever you want to right away?
Not really saving stuff. When it comes to games, I want to commit to the game and play it 24\7. Obviously I don't have time to do it. Same with books, but to a lesser extent. Manga and web or light novels chapters are bite-size, so there is no problem with reading it.
And if something doesn't suit your taste even though it's considered good by many, how ruthless are you?
What do you mean by ruthless?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I save the physical books for when I'm going to be stuck waiting somewhere (bathroom, doctor's office, power/internet outage) or on a train. For digital stuff, I'll abandon it quickly or enjoy it when my toddler is napping or being watched by husband or my parents. It doesn't pile up much because I have very selective tastes. I'd like to read more physical books when my son exhibits more independent play or starts reading on his own.

Sweetmeat

I never finish novels that I like. If I don't read the last chapter then my brain can believe that the story goes on forever. But if I read a definitive ending, my soul becomes a little more empty.

BlackKnightX

What do you mean by ruthless?
Like, the moment you get slightly bored, "I'm out."
I never finish novels that I like. If I don't read the last chapter then my brain can believe that the story goes on forever. But if I read a definitive ending, my soul becomes a little more empty.
I can relate to this. That's why I love reading those thousands chapters long web novels; when you're really into a story, you can just dwell in that world forever until you grow out of it.

Though, it's better if a story has a satisfying ending.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Like, the moment you get slightly bored, "I"m out."
When it comes to games, almost immediately. Movies? I'll watch it till the end since movies are short. Books, light\web novels and manga? It depends on who said it is good. Anime? I don't watch anime anymore, so can't say. But probably same as books, manga, and light\web novels.

There is also spite modifier. If someone on the internet is wrong, I will finish whatever it is to 100% completion, be it game, book, manga, or whatever just to explain and show how utterly wrong they are.

BlackKnightX

There is also spite modifier. If someone on the internet is wrong, I will finish whatever it is to 100% completion, be it game, book, manga, or whatever just to explain and show how utterly wrong they are.
You, sir, have done your research~ :blob_salute:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I discover that I should not stock too much chapters and binge read them.

What is too much? More than 20 chapters or more specifically, waiting for more than 2 weeks.

Because I have stupid smooth brain, I cannot recall the plot well and I always dislike reread old chapters for context. Wait too long and I will disconnect with the MC and plot (if too complex).

I would occasionally skip to the latest chapter to see if it still vibes with me, it is a double edge sword because spoiling.

Vnator

Oh my goodness, I'm the exact same. So many stories, tv shows, and comics left unfinished so I can pretend they're still going.

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.
It's a problem with video games for me. I have a lot of games that still have the cellophane wrap on my stuff.

And that goes for some digital games as well.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I am not that ruthless, sometimes I push through really bad stuff. I would say it is like a 50-50 chance for me to insta drop depending on what it is.

Tempokai

Overworked One
I usually finish what I begin to read, but when I met with an ending (usually lack of translated chapters (or simply an ending)) or just insufferable tropes where the story halted to execute it (like doormat MC done wrong or cliche faceslapping), I drop it

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I am not that ruthless, sometimes I push through really bad stuff. I would say it is like a 50-50 chance for me to insta drop depending on what it is.
The only caveat is if it's in my feedback thread, since many of the stories aren't my taste and not something I would usually read. I have no qualms with dropping those.

Shyuurin

I'm pretty ruthless. I don't have much time between work and other things, so I want to spend the time I have doing/reading/playing/eating the things that I like. If I find myself losing interest in something I'll drop it. If I really like something, I will rabidly consume it until I've finished it.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I have a nasty habit of accumulating stuff I wanna see—movies, shows, novels, anime, manga, etc.—but ending up not seeing any of them. I feel like I have to wait for the right moment to watch the show I find the most interesting, so in the meantime I'd better get the "lesser" things over with.

This ends in me finding myself bored and wanting to quit, but guilt kicks in and tells me I have to finish it. Lots of these stuff are classics or stuff lots of people regard as good, and I wanna see what the hype is about only to find out it's not for me. After a certain point, I just drop it and move on.

Are you the same? Do you save the best stuff for last or do you just watch or read whatever you want to right away? And if something doesn't suit your taste even though it's considered good by many, how ruthless are you?
I accumalte stuff I want to consume oneday and I consume whatever I want to see whenever I want to. I only consume stuff I don't enjoy when I know that later I will start enjoying it. It helps that I have an amazing brain that can remember the story for me.