Writing How to Avoid Hiatus or Dropping

Stratothrax

Get the program Cold Turkey and use it to block distracting sites like reddit, twitch, facebook, forums, Instagram, anime/manga/serial sites. It makes writing so much easier and you can still do research with google and use google docs.

Building up a backlog of chapters can also cover you during your down times.

fullbios

I recently went on a 3-month hiatus to write my 2nd book of the same series. (Had to research and all) And man, hiatus was difficult. There's this constant stress about people dropping my book cause they might get tired of waiting. I'm back now though lol. And I must say... IT'S STILL DIFFICULT! Man, I love writing but writing is depression. There's nothing I can do but persevere and move on :/ (I shall wait for my next hiatus, to write book 3, next year)

D

Deleted member 29316

I recently went on a 3-month hiatus to write my 2nd book of the same series. (Had to research and all) And man, hiatus was difficult. There's this constant stress about people dropping my book cause they might get tired of waiting. I'm back now though lol. And I must say... IT'S STILL DIFFICULT! Man, I love writing but writing is depression. There's nothing I can do but persevere and move on :/ (I shall wait for my next hiatus, to write book 3, next year)
Yeah, it's really unnerving to see readers drop your work just because you took the break off your series.

But then, consider this. What's the use of a great story if you as an author couldn't continue anymore because of burn-out? Or the next books you write are full of inconsistencies in an effort to run after tight deadlines?

Authors are humans too. You're absolutely right to continue writing. Just enjoy it and the readers who stayed with you. 😉

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I don't really understand the concern of readers dropping your book because of a hiatus, wouldn't that still stand if you were talking about the few days time between releases? Why would they drop it after a long time rather than a little? I suppose they could do it out of spite because you're not updating, but I thought people were worried because they feel like the readers will get tired of waiting and slowly flake away? It's not like they read the book constantly right? After they finish the latest chapter they "drop it" and go read something else, wouldn't it be the same for a hiatus?

MasterHiatus

I am back
I don't really understand the concern of readers dropping your book because of a hiatus, wouldn't that still stand if you were talking about the few days time between releases? Why would they drop it after a long time rather than a little? I suppose they could do it out of spite because you're not updating, but I thought people were worried because they feel like the readers will get tired of waiting and slowly flake away? It's not like they read the book constantly right? After they finish the latest chapter they "drop it" and go read something else, wouldn't it be the same for a hiatus?
I wouldn't use the drop it words. I mean, they wait if the story is good. They wait, they do read other books but they sure wait.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I wouldn't use the drop it words. I mean, they wait if the story is good. They wait, they do read other books but they sure wait.
Well I meant "drop it" like leave and then come back. I was wondering, isn't that what readers do when you go on hiatus, except for a longer period of time? Why are people so worried? Is it just because you're afraid the reader would drop it out of spite? If so, then I understand, but I assumed people were worried because they thought the reader would just get bored of waiting. Isn't waiting what they always do between releases? Why would they get bored just because it's a longer period of time? It's not like the reader just hides in closet waiting for an update and gets frustrated when they're late. I suppose the reader might forget about the book, but isn't that concern valid for any period of time, just a little more dangerous after long ones?

Is there another reason a reader might drop a book on hiatus, is what I was wondering, because the current reasons seem to me like worries that one would feel anytime between releases. Maybe I'm underestimating the panic because I haven't felt it?

Ral

As a reader myself, I had been able to wait for months for the story I'm following to update before giving up. I read other stories or just do other stuff meanwhile. But, even then, don't expect me and other people to wait a year, or two, or a decade. You are not George R. R. Martin. And even if you are, you still have fans that are running out of patience.

If writers are human, so are the readers. Don't expect them to have infinite patience.

Though, if you want to go into a hiatus, at least end the story somewhere where there is closure, maybe an end of an arc or end of book 1. Don't just break in the middle leaving people unsatisfied.

MasterHiatus

I am back
Well I meant "drop it" like leave and then come back. I was wondering, isn't that what readers do when you go on hiatus, except for a longer period of time? Why are people so worried? Is it just because you're afraid the reader would drop it out of spite? If so, then I understand, but I assumed people were worried because they thought the reader would just get bored of waiting. Isn't waiting what they always do between releases? Why would they get bored just because it's a longer period of time? It's not like the reader just hides in closet waiting for an update and gets frustrated when they're late. I suppose the reader might forget about the book, but isn't that concern valid for any period of time, just a little more dangerous after long ones?

Is there another reason a reader might drop a book on hiatus, is what I was wondering, because the current reasons seem to me like worries that one would feel anytime between releases. Maybe I'm underestimating the panic because I haven't felt it?
They're not the ones who are afraid, it's the readers. They'll be disappointed.

Yeah, you're underestimating it. It will start as a writer's block at first ya know.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
They're not the ones who are afraid, it's the readers. They'll be disappointed.

Yeah, you're underestimating it. It will start as a writer's block at first ya know.
Well, clearly it’s the writer talking about a hiatus and the readers troubles aren’t really what I was referring to.
I understand the sentiment if the author fears disappointing or letting down the reader, but I keep hearing it like “I’m afraid they’ll drop it” and I understood it in a more technical way and was confused because the risk of a reader dropping your book is present all the time. If it’s more of a responsibility towards the readers, then, nevermind you can ignore my question.

MasterHiatus

I am back
Well, clearly it’s the writer talking about a hiatus and the readers troubles aren’t really what I was referring to.
I understand the sentiment if the author fears disappointing or letting down the reader, but I keep hearing it like “I’m afraid they’ll drop it” and I understood it in a more technical way and was confused because the risk of a reader dropping your book is present all the time. If it’s more of a responsibility towards the readers, then, nevermind you can ignore my question.
Writers are divided in 3 ways. The shameless, the newbie, and the confident. Shamless writers like me can either drop the series or hiatus it with no remorse. The newbie writers are worrywarts, they worry about readers. While the confident ones are those who don't hiatus or drop.

For readers, they either get disappointed or they just leave it with a meh.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Hey folks, your neighborhood MasterHiatus here. It's so ironic seeing a boy named MasterHiatus teaching how not to press the drop or hiatus button. No worries, I am here, and I have a lot of experiences in hiatus and dropping.

Here's some tips you can either ignore or use.

-I recommend not mass releasing after reaching 50+ chapters. That is where it all goes wrong.
-Time is sometimes the problem. Try to schedule.
-I am listening some podcasts and also based on my experience, find your comfort place or do your hobby, this actually helps you to think.
-Pause, stop for a while. Been posting one chapter a day and your brain is tired? Stop, no one cares if you stop and rest for a day or two. Just don't take a rest for months, that will lead to Hiatus.
-Research stuff. Research was a foreign word for me back then but trust me, to avoid running out of ideas, research.
-Hiatus and Dropping is not caused by lack of ideas alone. Time and motivation are the other factors. It's important to know that to avoid that. It is said that "to fight your enemy, you must know your enemy."

Okay, I am done. I am out. Peace! Feel free to ask me stuff
Oh here ye mortals. No one knows it better than @MasterHiatus. :blob_evil: :blob_evil:

Kirbyisgreen

My 2 cents.

Create something you want to read yourself. If you write something and you look back and dislike it, then you won't be able to sustain it.

KyoruS

Lol, I basically did almost all of the things you've recommended and in the end, I took almost a month hiatus. :blob_teary:

Terok

As someone who just came out of a hiatus, and who the universe refuses to allow to adhere to their schedule, I can 100% say that these tips are completely useless to me lol.

Almost every time I have a hiatus or miss a scheduled chapter, it's been due to me being sick or for external reasons.

However, in all seriousness, these are some solid tips. Well done MasterHiatus!