How to deal with creative block?

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
So, I may or may not have wrote myself into a corner. Now I can't figure out what's the next event in my story steming from the last one. Just asking for advice since IRL is really not helping with this blocm.

AYM

Reading what the fuck you've just wrote
No specifics were given, so this daoist will point out several paths to take.
  1. Revise the event and plan the way out of it.
  2. Write whatever dogshit is needed to get yourself out of the corner.
  3. Like it is an illegitimate child, refuse to acknowledge the plot hole and progress the story.
  4. Write a series of very cool scenes and hope readers forget about plot holes.
  5. Visit the Gymnasium Sect to browse their special Spirit Grass. Hopefully when fellow daoist returns from your trip, you will have more ideas.

Obsoleteness

1. Like it is an illegitimate child, refuse to acknowledge the plot hole and progress the story.
I will frame this and hang it on my wall. The amount of time I spend to patch the most minor of things that might be perceived as a plot hole is ludicrous... and then I miss the obvious one.

Praybird

Visit the Gymnasium Sect to browse their special Spirit Grass. Hopefully when fellow daoist returns from your trip, you will have more ideas.
Wasn't this sect just a myth? I thought spirit grass went extinct with the industrial revolution.

Jokes aside, if you have an event that's in plan much further down, try to note the differences between said event and where the story currently is. If you can see the differences concisely, you might be able to play with them and figure out what you need to do to get there.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
So, I may or may not have wrote myself into a corner. Now I can't figure out what's the next event in my story steming from the last one. Just asking for advice since IRL is really not helping with this blocm.
What are your passions that have driven you to write? Anime? Novels, comics, video games? Music?
When I'm stuck, I go to nourish myself with art and what inspires me.

Do something relaxing like a warm shower, treat yourself well like a good cup of hot matcha tea :s_wink: , and think about your story in your head.
Go through the events, the interactions between characters, how they would behave, and what the final destination would be.

Also, if you want more specific help regarding the plot, you can try asking for advice here on the forum, specifying the details of your story

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
What are your passions that have driven you to write? Anime? Novels, comics, video games? Music?
When I'm stuck, I go to nourish myself with art and what inspires me.

Do something relaxing like a warm shower, treat yourself well like a good cup of hot matcha tea :s_wink: , and think about your story in your head.
Go through the events, the interactions between characters, how they would behave, and what the final destination would be.

Also, if you want more specific help regarding the plot, you can try asking for advice here on the forum, specifying the details of your story
I'll mark it as spoiler.

So basically my story is all about a gunsmith getting Isekai'd. In chapter 98, she crafted a new rifle (Lebel model 1886). The issue i have now though is how would her companions react, or what is next after the rifle is finished crafting. I was thinking or her making a scope for it so it would be a proper sniper rifle, but i need to put some more thought to it.

Reactions: AYM

SurfAngel_1031

I have had this a few times.
Now fortunately for me, I write entire book chapters and split them into parts before I upload to the site.
I do not type directly into the editor.
If I see a problem that is coming up, I try and back up to where I saw the issue or tangent - Cut it from the document - put it in a "cut items" page - then simply start from where I think I messed up taking a different direction.
To gain perspective on what you are thinking, simply go back and read your own work and picture where and what you had going on, that usually pushes my memory back in place so I can continue.
If its a block where you can't write - simply take some time to yourself and relax.
When you are ready to write again, you'll get through the block :)

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Lebel model 1886
  • Give a chapter for them marveling at the invention or cursing it as the thing from hell
  • Make them wonder if warfare will ever be the same or not
  • Make them have a competition to see which is better, bow, magic, or this new weapon
  • Make the MC flex on them with it
  • Make the MC lay out what her plans are for the future and what she plans to do next.
  • Throw in some enemies to have a live test of the weapon where every party member finally realizes what this thing means for the battlefield.
Just the few that came to mind.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I'll mark it as spoiler.

So basically my story is all about a gunsmith getting Isekai'd. In chapter 98, she crafted a new rifle (Lebel model 1886). The issue i have now though is how would her companions react, or what is next after the rifle is finished crafting. I was thinking or her making a scope for it so it would be a proper sniper rifle, but i need to put some more thought to it.
Huh?

Where is the Corner?
SOMEONE STEALS IT.

Ask yourself when you don't know what's next...
What's the worst thing that could reasonably happen here?

Do that.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Take a walk, take a shower. Give yourself some space to think about it. Whatever you do, don't procreate! If you have sex, do it carefully. Use condom.

Jaymi

Gamer / Astronaut / Idol / Author / Vampire
write multiple stories with different genres so u can feed of off ur own ideas

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Plot the next chapter scene by scene. At least that is what helped me the most.
Scene 1
Setting the doorway/living room
Characters Garry and the letter
Goal Show that Garry is confused, and him reading the letter. Also establishes what the letter is about.

Scene 2
Setting the street & outside of the factory
Characters Don and Nate
Goal Show how this began. Also give the description of the factory and Nate.

Scene 3
Setting The first & second floor of the factory.
Characters Don
Goal To give a rough layout of the floors. To make the reader suspicious, also a bit of foreshadowing.

Scene 4
Setting The stairs & the nearby room.
Characters Don
Goal Establish without a fact that this place is not friendly and that something supernatural is afoot.

Scene 5
Setting escape
Characters Don
Goal Show a bit of the strength and methods that the Dead Butterfly. Give a vision that the world is bigger than it seems.

Scene 6
Setting Living room
Characters Garry
Goal Show his reaction to the letter, and a bit of how he plans to go forward.

Scene 7
Setting Doorway
Characters Phel and Garry
Goal Show their relationship, give a small break on the tension. Foreshadowing how he gets distracted.

Scene 8
Setting Living room
Characters Garry and Phel
Goal Give more backstory before setting up the next chapter, and the tension/guilt Garry feels about hiding the letter.

FatElf

This is my own way of dealing with block, and might not work for you, but here is what I do:

• Create a bullet point list with the previous major events.
  • List the next events I want to happen in the story (not the small details, just an overview of things).
  • Based on what happened decided: What needs to happen to reach the next point, and immediately ask as well:
    • Is what needs to happened forced?
    • Does it feel unnatural?
With that, the answer is usually update where I want things to do and let events play out. Unless it leads directly to character's death, you can work with anything else, even if in the moment might not be what you want.

BlackKnightX

Write down all of the options you can think of, then choose the best one. Don't trust your head too much, especially when your mind is muddled (a writer's block is a great sign of that). It's way easier when you have it all laid out in front of you.