How to gain traffic for your stories | Does Scribblehub have its own preferred "Niche"?

Nocturnis66

I would like to hear some thoughts on this, I'm the author of https://www.scribblehub.com/series/662389/the-devil-assured-me/ (pardon me for this shameless plug), and of course, like any other author would like to know about how the algorithm works on this platform. I've seen many stories with a lot of views, but only have one chapter, which kind of confused me, I presume mainly because of my lack of knowledge about this platform as a whole.

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
Hi! So if you didn't know, Scribblehub has a nickname. Smuthub. That should tell you everything you need to know :blob_popcorn:

No, but seriously, Mystery and Historical novels aren't really as well-received as things like Girls Love, Boys Love, Smut, or Gender Bender. If you put either one of those in your story, you're guaranteed to get more traffic than you usually would.

That's just what the most of the reader base likes to read, much to authors like myself's displeasure :blob_whistle_two:

But keep going! Who knows, maybe you'll get recognized for your hard work and get into trending. :blobtaco:

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Yandere, Smut, Girl Love, FFM, Gender Bender. Very VERY VERY fast plot, only slowness acceptable is fluffy hugs for catgirls.
Title must have the word "Transmigrated" since "Transported" and "Reincarnated" is out of date now

SailusGebel

The best way to gain traffic is to upload either daily or 3-4 days a week. You gain the most amount of views through the latest updates. Uploading multiple chapters in quick succession in 1 day will reduce your time on the latest updates as the antispam system will hide your story. Also, adding more tags and genres will help with visibility. A good cover is a must-have.

No one knows how the algorithm works. It's a secret so that no one will abuse it.

The most popular genres on SH are Fantasy, action, adventure, romance, and LitRPG. The second most popular are smut, harem, GL+GB, and GL.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Advertise.

That's it.

There are things that will be more popular, and things that will be less popular. But what tags you add is far less important than writing well and consistently. Every chapter you release is another chance for people to see your work.

The most popular stories on the site are things like Fantasy, Isekai, Comedy, Romance, and Slice of Life. The least popular are Sports, Horror, and Mecha.
You can check for your favorite genres by using the search and only including searches for what you want. Just click the gears in the top right and make the genre you want a green check and the genres you don't want a red x.
Then look at the number of pages at the bottom and multiply by 25(?) for the number of stories that fit. Keep in mind number is not = popularity. For that, you'll need to see how many pages it takes for the viewcount to drop off.

FaustVoncleave

I would like to hear some thoughts on this, I'm the author of https://www.scribblehub.com/series/662389/the-devil-assured-me/ (pardon me for this shameless plug), and of course, like any other author would like to know about how the algorithm works on this platform. I've seen many stories with a lot of views, but only have one chapter, which kind of confused me, I presume mainly because of my lack of knowledge about this platform as a whole.
I've only been posting stuff for three months, but from my observations there's usually a couple reasons for something to have a ton of views without much being there. 1 is time, if it's been on the site a whule it'll have mote views than you'd think even with no uploads. 2 is smut, smut is very popular here. 3 is certain tags draw a crowd, I'm talking gender bender and girls love, they draw views comparable to smut, and if they have smut with them then ohhhhhh boy, it's like watching a rocket take off. 4 is that it's not always the author's first work. And lastly, it's a fanfic. Those are usually the reason something will have an unwittingly high view count, other works are pretty standard in their chapter to time to views formula for the most part.

As for what YOU can do to raise views for your own story, there's a couple tips. 1 is post somethings over the weekend, view counts are higher then. 2 is post everyday if you can, that way you get more time on the home page. 3 is find a tag that's fairly unique to your story, less competition in that niche will help with the ranking on the side. right now yours says 266 th ranked under the abandoned children tag, you're gonna want to find a tag where you're ranked higher than that. I'm not saying lie, but there's a bazillion tags on this site, you can definitely find some less used ones that can apply to your story after looking around. Note that this is all just to get people to look at your story, whether you can retain any readers depends on the quality of your work. That's pretty much it for my knowledge of three months, good luck mate.

Excadrill420

Hello, I just read your first chapter. I don't know anything about the algorithm, however I would like to comment on your first chapter.
________
"Dante... Dante..., Dante!"
*Gasp*, "Mother..."

"It is time to wake up, Dante..."

________
I felt that your story is not gripping enough for me continue read it. You've wrote the dialogue, but to me it seems like it lacks some description regarding the background, and the scene of the dream.

It doesn't seem dreamy enough like a dream, It seems like a normal conversation between a mother, and a son.
_________
"Father, I am not feeling well..."
_________

I felt like after the dialogue above, you could write descriptions to make it look real for example, " "The tinge of dizziness has caught me, causing me to slightly fell to the floor." (sorry for my example, I'm sure someone else can do better.)

Well I think that's all, I personally the first chapter, is not interesting enough, for me to continue read on as a normal reader.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
The best way to gain traffic is to upload either daily or 3-4 days a week. You gain the most amount of views through the latest updates.
Totally this. If you are doing it regurarly, views will start coming in. (if you are also writing in the most popular genres mentioned by others above).

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I have written historical fantasy mystery stories and they've done pretty well. Yeah, they aren't well received but it's not bad.

ACertainPassingUser

It's always Isekai+ LitRPG with bunch of characters that should've been a "weak ass wimp pushover" that suddenly get strong and change personality because author's plot influence has been kicked in Yo.

While the fact is, the MC didn't get "smarter" or "mature". their soul just been replaced with old Mature Chad with superb social skill, battle proficiency, and acting skill to fool their family, friends, and relative.

All in order to appease the reader that grow tired of depresed weak ass MC and their whining, since it makes them remember their real self and broke the "feel good" effect when the MC they self inserts to beat and slap enemies like nothing.

And after series of events, it's all Mary Sue or Gary Stu all over again since the author lack competency to write decent story in long term.

Should've put some Good planning for the story and don't just write the story as it goes. At least it will help with writing consostency to near last chapter.

Notlost

The best way to gain traffic is to upload either daily or 3-4 days a week. You gain the most amount of views through the latest updates. Uploading multiple chapters in quick succession in 1 day will reduce your time on the latest updates as the antispam system will hide your story. Also, adding more tags and genres will help with visibility. A good cover is a must-have.

No one knows how the algorithm works. It's a secret so that no one will abuse it.

The most popular genres on SH are Fantasy, action, adventure, romance, and LitRPG. The second most popular are smut, harem, GL+GB, and GL.
Do you know how I might get or create a cover for my book?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
If you are a good artist, make one yourself and upload it on your novel's page.

If you have money, commission an artist to make the cover for you.

If you're poor, use an AI art program (Waifulabs is a common one, and it's free, but there are others) and get some anime-style art on your cover. It won't perfectly fit what you want, but it should be good enough.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Smut, gender bender, and girl's love are the cheap and easy ways to get views

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
You can try promoting it on Twitter or something but I'm not too sure how far you'll get. The ones with one single chapter and many views have probably been linked somewhere and clicked on from an external site.

Basically updating every few days or week will push your works to the top of the updates list - that's where views come from, I suppose. The longer your novel, the more views you'll get. Unlike fan stuff, original stuff can be harder to promote.

I'm not sure how many people actually visit ScribbleHub to read stuff...

SailusGebel

What Alice said. To add to that list, you can use stock images to create a cover. Actually, you can also take a random image from Google. But you should know that simply using a random pic without any changes can be very hit or miss. Even a hot chick as a cover can earn you fewer views than a proper cover. It depends on your luck. Also, if you simply take some random art, you can't earn money as it's illegal, I think.

Notlost

What Alice said. To add to that list, you can use stock images to create a cover. Actually, you can also take a random image from Google. But you should know that simply using a random pic without any changes can be very hit or miss. Even a hot chick as a cover can earn you fewer views than a proper cover. It depends on your luck. Also, if you simply take some random art, you can't earn money as it's illegal, I think.
Thank you for your advice! I used an AI art generator in the end, there are a few sites that let you generate a few for free
If you are a good artist, make one yourself and upload it on your novel's page.

If you have money, commission an artist to make the cover for you.

If you're poor, use an AI art program (Waifulabs is a common one, and it's free, but there are others) and get some anime-style art on your cover. It won't perfectly fit what you want, but it should be good enough.
Thank you I did just that and I'm super happy with my cover!

Wkppp

I think its your tag or just your story...most of the readers here wants an op mc or a journey of an mc from the weakest to the strongest...
Another thing, most of them loves clever mc. So yeah, 👍