How To Motivate A Writer

DeviousColony69

It's been a month since the last time I've written a new chapter, but because of IRL issues, I suddenly stopped writing. Now I have the time to pick up my writing but this time, I don't have the power to continue it. Have you experienced this before, and if so, how do you usually deal it?

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
It's been a month since the last time I've written a new chapter, but because of IRL issues, I suddenly stopped writing. Now I have the time to pick up my writing but this time, I don't have the power to continue it. Have you experienced this before, and if so, how do you usually deal it?
Imagine my loyal reader would be sad. The guilt would motivate me to write.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
How to self-motivate:

Tell yourself, "NO ONE LOVES YOU! YOU ARE A WASTE OF SKIN! YOU ARE ONLY WORTH SOMETHING WHEN YOU DO SOMETHING! IF YOU AREN'T DOING SOMETHING, WHAT GOOD ARE YOU? EVERY MOMENT YOU WASTE NOT DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, A BABY KITTEN DIES! IF YOU ONLY TRIED HARDER, THERE WOULD BE LESS DEAD LOVED ONES IN YOUR LIFE! EVERYONE YOU EVER LOVED THAT DIED IS YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WORK HARD ENOUGH!"

Then I get back to writing.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
You want to know the truth about writing? Waiting for motivation and inspiration is fickle. It's even you want to write, or don't want to write. You can eliminate all distractions by getting off the internet and putting on your favorite music to write away without anything getting in your way. But the truth is, if you write for a hobby, you should only do your hobby when you are in the mood to do it.

D

Deleted member 54065

I stopped thinking about how my readers see my works, and just focused on writing for the sake of completing what I started, and writing good novels.

Not only did I manage to write 16 volumes of 300+ chapters with an average of 4k words each chapter, my readers--though few--liked what I wrote. It isn't that popular though.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
How to self-motivate:

Tell yourself, "NO ONE LOVES YOU! YOU ARE A WASTE OF SKIN! YOU ARE ONLY WORTH SOMETHING WHEN YOU DO SOMETHING! IF YOU AREN'T DOING SOMETHING, WHAT GOOD ARE YOU? EVERY MOMENT YOU WASTE NOT DOING SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, A BABY KITTEN DIES! IF YOU ONLY TRIED HARDER, THERE WOULD BE LESS DEAD LOVED ONES IN YOUR LIFE! EVERYONE YOU EVER LOVED THAT DIED IS YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WORK HARD ENOUGH!"

Then I get back to writing.
I understand the sentiment here, but this type of motivation doesn't help everyone. Some people need a boot, and others need tenderness.

ArrogantYoungMaster

Humblest Cultivator 🍵🫖
Some people need a boot, and others need tenderness.
Yes, such as constantly telling yourself that if you write a great enough vampire webnovel, a very sexy lesbian vampire will seductively whisper into your ear, "bleh, bleh-bleh," sweep you off your legs and fly you to Romania.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I struggle with motivation but my characters keep bugging me to write, plus I don't want to disappoint the small handful of readers I have too much. Still can't stay consistent though, sadly.

Aiyoki

I'm not sure if I've experienced this yet... I too have paused due to IRL stuff going on that's been demotivating me from writing, but I think I'll be on top of it once I actually do get back to writing? :blob_hmm:

LORD_SHAXX

Tbh I set goals and imaginary competition with other writers. Right now im competing for the number 10 place in the "insect" category. It's not much but it helps

Darkcrow.

Tarnished
Maybe listen to a writer's podcast (I listened to Mark Greaney on Joe Rogan), It worked for me.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I am surprised nobody wrote this yet:

Money.

(and this is only an answer to the title of this topic, not how to self-motivate... but... you can pay off yourself too)

ArrogantYoungMaster

Humblest Cultivator 🍵🫖
I am surprised nobody wrote this yet:

Money.

(and this is only an answer to the title of this topic, not how to self-motivate... but... you can pay off yourself too)

Succubiome

I'd make yourself write-- but not that story specifically.

Go write a short story, or some poetry, or the first chapter of another novel.

Then after your brain has gotten used to the fact that not wanting to write that one thing won't let it stop writing entirely, play with ideas that used to get you excited about your old story, and see if it gets you excited again.

Alternately: skip ahead to writing the next part of your story that you are motivated about, if that exists.