How To Motivate A Writer

CRimson5

Music, music helps me a lot, when I hear music, new scenes in a story flash through my head and it gets me motivated

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
I have two reasons, one that's pleasure focused and one that's avoidance-focused.

The pleasure side is my love of storytelling. I write for myself because I have fun creating and exploring the story that I make. I like what I write. It entertains me.

Beyond that, I write because I don't want to live a life with regrets. Think about it: there are so many people who go through life having ideas for things they want to create, but they don't. There are more critics than creators for a reason. I have no clue if I'll ever reach success or make money or anything like that, but I'd rather die knowing I did the thing I love most instead of wondering what if.

There is a lot of things I can live with, but I can't live without creating stuff I find beautiful in some manner or another.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Hear me out, this is important:
Writing is an addiction. Yes, you might say: I do it for (insert a reason here).
You don't.
You do it because your hands begin to shake when you skip a day.
You do it not because of the readers, but for yourself. So, that, after a couple of months, after you have completely forgotten what the story is about, you can read it, feed your ego, and smile...
But if you are not addicted, then, you are lucky.
Life is more important than writing.

Missivist

You do it because your hands begin to shake when you skip a day.
Go write an amusing, fluffy one-shot, and stop there. See if the need to write is back. Let fluff be the gateway drug to whatever serious writing you have been doing.
Or don't. We probably shouldn't encourage addictions.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Write to spite those who said you can't.

3guanoff

Whenever I feel my sanity slipping, I start writing. It is a need rather than a choice.
Consider why you write. Why do you need to write? If you do no need to, then don't.