How to overcome Writer's Block?

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft

What Is Writer’s Block?​

Writer’s block is a phenomenon experienced by writers that is best described as an overwhelming feeling of being stuck in the writing process without the ability to move forward and write anything new. While overcoming writer’s block is usually a different process depending on the individual, there are ample tools to help writers along the way.

Have you ever found yourself staring at a blank page for long periods of time, trying to write but being unable to find the right words? You’re not alone. This is writer’s block, and all writers struggle with it, from journalists to novelists.

Overcoming writer’s block is a delicate process that is often highly subjective and depends on each individual. But, at the end of the day, it is about conquering self-doubt and knowing that hard work will pay off.

However, instead of presenting different ways to overcome writer's block myself. I've come to ask every author out there about their perspective, making them share their ideas and helping different writer's out there that are currently experiencing writer's block. So, do you have an idea on overcoming writer's block?

“Hmm… oh, oh! I know.” My sister gleefully wagged both of her hands, gaining my attention.

“What?” I beamed at her, perplexed.

“You know, since writer’s block is a phenomenon where writers can’t produce new work or experiences, I then thought.”—the corners of her mouth curved upward—“Wouldn’t it be better if they stopped writing entirely so that they can also stop experiencing writer’s block?”

“Are you stupid? If they stopped writing entirely, wouldn’t that mean they also lose their work?”

“Uh, yeah…”—she starts to laugh—“But that was just an idea, okay! An idea! I-D-E-A!” With both cheeks flushed in red, she immediately turned behind me.

“I understand, so shut up.”—I turned back to my computer—“If you’re embarrassed because you’re wrong then why not stop giving me useless ideas.”

“That wasn’t useless!” She threw a pillow at me and walked away.

It was, though... I seriously don't understand little sisters.

D

Deleted member 45782

Eat pizza

No jk. Do something productive that is on your priority list. Then while you are starting to dread doing all of that, you're gonna wonder and get that itchy feel to write or imagine far far away...And here it comes back. :D

Ofc, you can also just watch interesting music that makes your mind do an epic somersault before you go into a battle and fight dragons...

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
they said some physical exercise could help you release endorphin. so if you did it regularly, it might help you to clear your mind and you'll automatically proceed your thought of process on your own.
you can search googleplay or applestore to look for some in-home exercise app, to look some recommended exercise list then schedule your own training menu.

not that i know tho, i'm a lazy bum and hardly doing exercise myself.

Legi0n

There are two kinds of writer blocks, at least for me: when I can't find any ideas to write and when I do (more or less, depending on the scene) know what to write but can't really do it.
First thing is something you have to resolve yourself as it depends entirely on you (it's your story, after all!). Second thing may depend by you being tiried/not in the mood to write. I usually experience it when I write a lot (for my standards) without taking breaks. After a bit of experiments I found out that for me, one of the most efficent ways is to write for about an hour and then take a quarter of hour of break when I do other things, generally also walking a bit and then laying down on the bed. As a rule of thumb, when I feel I am not making any progress I generally stop, walk a bit and then do a few other things, maybe listening to a song or watching a video on youtube about a completely different thing (planes. i love planes. and trains too!). Point is: you have to relax your mind and not focus entirely on the same thing again and again.

You have to understand your body in order to be productive. All in all, it's just finding a way that allows you to enjoy writing; if it becomes a weight it's not beneficial.

Edit: i.e. I listen to this when I need to motivate myself to write. Awesome music is good way!

Edit: Sometimes the block comes because you haven't set the proper conditions to write. Mine are silence and a constant, low background noise like this one.

Last edited:

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
Give yourself the privilege of writing garbage, writer's block is fear that your writing will be criticized or make fun of. If your story is trash in the first place you don't have to be afraid of criticism.

Reisinling

1. Go away from writing for a moment
2. If that doesn't help, or I'm in a hurry (for example have only X hours a day for writing) I just skip the part I don't know how to write, type general points how I want the plot to progress, and fill it with trash-quality writing. At some point I get the flow back, and start writing normally. The "trash" part still has to be rewritten at the end though.

LotsChrono

What Is Writer’s Block?​

Writer’s block is a phenomenon experienced by writers that is best described as an overwhelming feeling of being stuck in the writing process without the ability to move forward and write anything new. While overcoming writer’s block is usually a different process depending on the individual, there are ample tools to help writers along the way.

Have you ever found yourself staring at a blank page for long periods of time, trying to write but being unable to find the right words? You’re not alone. This is writer’s block, and all writers struggle with it, from journalists to novelists.

Overcoming writer’s block is a delicate process that is often highly subjective and depends on each individual. But, at the end of the day, it is about conquering self-doubt and knowing that hard work will pay off.

However, instead of presenting different ways to overcome writer's block myself. I've come to ask every author out there about their perspective, making them share their ideas and helping different writer's out there that are currently experiencing writer's block. So, do you have an idea on overcoming writer's block?

“Hmm… oh, oh! I know.” My sister gleefully wagged both of her hands, gaining my attention.

“You know, since writer’s block is a phenomenon where writers can’t produce new work or experiences, I then thought.”—the corners of her mouth curved upward—“Wouldn’t it be better if they stopped writing entirely so that they can also stop experiencing writer’s block?”

“Are you stupid? If they stopped writing entirely, wouldn’t that mean they also lose their work?”

“Uh, yeah…”—she starts to laugh—“But that was just an idea, okay! An idea! I-D-E-A!” With both cheeks flushed in red, she immediately turned behind me.

“I understand, so shut up.”—I turned back to my computer—“If you’re embarrassed because you’re wrong then why not stop giving me useless ideas.”

I overcome writer’s block from taking a break from writing whatever I’m stuck on, and just reading other people’s works. Usually, at some point, seeing amazing stories pushes me further.

Michuyu

Well, your sister was onto something xD

I get over writer's block by surrounding myself with other writers of different genres or the same genre. Then I read a bit of their works, like maybe one or two chapters, and give feedback or just enjoy myself. Then I will usually feel really inspired to get back into my story. When I go back to the docs, I just write whatever comes to mind, not caring whether it's perfect or not. ^^ You can always edit later anyways!

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds

What Is Writer’s Block?​

My advice:

WRITE.

Writer's block is a demon to be slain, a mountain to be bored through. Taking moments of rest from the battle is advised, but you cannot simply evade the obstacle.

We have a tendency to fear just writing when we have writer's block. We are afraid our writing will be crappy. I've got news for you - the whole first draft will suck.

But by pushing through it, even if you don't like the direction you take, you may end up with a wealth of ideas you hadn't considered.

Most importantly, allot yourself time to write, optimally, a few hours maybe once a week, in a single block where you can just write. You'll start to feel the concept of "flow" take hold, and you'll be amazed at how quickly worlds and people come to life before you.

You can always go back and correct things you didn't like. Brute forcing the writer's block will at very least, give you practice writing. Maybe by the time you finish the draft and look back, you'll have improved so much as to rewrite a bunch of things to be much better.

In the times that you're not writing, live life. Socialize. Get to know people well. Study how they act, talk, and view the world. Learn about the world around you, and what makes it tick.

Read the works of great authors and take inspiration.

You cannot create new lives and worlds if you have not experienced one of your own. That is what will bring you the core of your creativity.

Then, supplement this with study on how to be a better writer. Whether taking a class, reading up on it, or watching videos, there are many resources that can help you.

March on my friend, I bid you good fortune in the conflict you face.

HappyVainGlory

For me, I get over writer's block by building momentum to get the writing gears rolling. Usually I'll take a favorite scene and rewrite it from memory for a few minutes. That's usually enough to get the ball rolling to write. And then when that ball is rolling, I just type as fast as I can like I'm desperately running away from the last word.

-This has been a message from your local happy and vain writer.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Write out my wet dreams?

No joke that I have created another account and post stroke stories somewhere else. In times with a block at your original path, take a break, have a wank.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member

What Is Writer’s Block?​

Just completely stop trying to force yourself to write. Go outside, smell the roses(Literally, I shit you not. Smell is a powerful sense that triggers all sorts of nostalgia and memories throughout your life), take in the scenery and relax. While you’re out there observe some ants on the side of the road and just mindlessly zone out. When you get back home, watch some anime or read some manga or novels to replenish your creative reserves. Often other’s ideas will inspire ideas of your own.

Once you’ve taken your break, write something completely random unrelated to the story you’re working on. Let random ideas pop in and out of your head and just write a bit at a time as they come to mind every day. Slowly, you’ll get back into your groove and the ideas will flourish on their own.

Last edited:

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
If I have any energy to write in the first place and have a writer‘s block I write something else (Either that or drawing)

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I've come to ask every author out there about their perspective, making them share their ideas and helping different writer's out there that are currently experiencing writer's block. So, do you have an idea on overcoming writer's block?
You're in luck, because boy do I have a solution tailored just for you!

Step 1: Walk towards a mirror
Step 2: Look into the mirror
Step 3: Step into the sea of your own handsomeness
Step 4: Make a kissy face at the mirror
Step 5: Feel your block unblock itself with your weaponized handsomeness

@HandsomeProtagonist, you're forgetting you've got one asset a lot of people don't, and that's your handsomeness. Rather than looking at a blank page for ages and drawing nothing from it, you've got a very nice face to look at.

In all honesty though, I've found writer's blocks to mostly be a symptom of burnouts. What makes it worse is that anxiety you get when you know you're scheduled to update at a certain date.

Not a bad idea to take a step back and breathe for a little while if that's the case! Cheers!

D

Deleted member 45782

You're in luck, because boy do I have a solution tailored just for you!

Step 1: Walk towards a mirror
Step 2: Look into the mirror
Step 3: Step into the sea of your own handsomeness
Step 4: Make a kissy face at the mirror
Step 5: Feel your block unblock itself with your weaponized handsomeness
shameless.png
In all honesty though, I've found writer's blocks to mostly be a symptom of burnouts. What makes it worse is that anxiety you get when you know you're scheduled to update at a certain date.

Not a bad idea to take a step back and breathe for a little while if that's the case! Cheers!
(y)

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
@HandsomeProtagonist, you're forgetting you've got one asset a lot of people don't, and that's your handsomeness. Rather than looking at a blank page for ages and drawing nothing from it, you've got a very nice face to look at.
What nice blarney! And I could say the same to you too. It's not all day for two handsome internet novelists to compliment each other. You have my thanks and smile.