How to write a proper killing intent.

SailusGebel

Continuing the topic of how to write different things. Today I ask you to give your insights about "killing intent" that is commonly used in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese works. For those who don't know what it is, here is a small explanation from TV tropes.

the idea that when someone intends to inflict pain or death, their "Killing Intent" can be felt as a slight pressure or chill, even to people unaware of their presence.

I hate this trope with passion. I think it's stupid, edgy, but most importantly, it's secondary. With the way authors commonly use it, killing intent is nothing more than an edgy intimidation. Yet I understand that something similar is possible and can be used. To write a proper killing intent, I should probably not exaggerate it, and that's it. But I want to hear your thoughts on the topic, since I saw a couple non-trivial advice in the previous thread. How to write a killing intent without making it look so stupid and edgy?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Basically, don't write from the emitter's point of view. Instead, write the receiver's sense.

Feeling cold, like having a cold knife gliding etc?

D

Deleted member 54065

The way I interpret 'killing intent', it's something I feel whenever someone I don't know comes uncomfortably close. There are a lot of times it happened to me, especially when I do commutes in public transports. Like yes, I'm aware people are close; but for some reason, these people do stand out.

Redemit

If you've ever back talked your mother or been around someone who has you know what it feels like
As my mother likes to remind me and my brothers "I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it" made the hair on my neck and arms stand up and a chill go up my spine that left a lingering tingle at the base of my skull till she'd calm down

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
If you've ever back talked your mother or been around someone who has you know what it feels like
As my mother likes to remind me and my brothers "I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it" made the hair on my neck and arms stand up and a chill go up my spine that left a lingering tingle at the base of my skull till she'd calm down
That is not a killing intent, that is a threat and it is the closest thing we get irl.

I think killing intent is just the chills of knowing someone is about to fuck you upside down and you pretty much have no way to deal with it.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Does this count?

She didn't really have the chance to say anything as she was grabbing at her throat, watching the bloodstain appear on her fingertips with fear and shock. She felt nothing, not even the pricking sensation of the skin being opened up. It was only a thin, minuscule cut, something that would be healed in a moment's notice, but it still bled onto her clothes. Before her, Aurora was holding a curved, black dagger, releasing black smoke made out of pure mana, its edges dripping with blood, watching her unblinkingly like a cat playing with its prey.

"You know…" Sion whispered, walking past the stunned woman down the stairs, "You would lose that fight."

Aurora was the last to leave, dispelling her dagger and smiling at her, but it was anything but a friendly gesture, reinforcing the chill she was feeling. Grabbing against her blue armband, she felt she couldn't stand up to her, not even with her own 4th-tier strength.

Hasu_Riri

Killing intent? You mean that "I've got this whole room under my thumb" vibe you emit with a mere glance. It's like telepathically sending a message "Bow before my supreme presence, for I am the ultimate ruler of this domain." Just a casual way to flex your invisible crown?

ACertainPassingUser

In that case, I have a proposal :

For English writer targeting International English webnovel reader, "Bloodlust" can be used as a better alternative of "killing intent".

"Bloodlust" is more oldschool, more defined and more well known, and it also can be used to show the side effect of certain power (like beast bloodlust, vampire bloodlust, demon bloodlust, etc.).

By mixing both unfortunate side effect, actualdesire to kill, and unknown factors, reader will have to wonder and think why the fuck a character is emitting bloodlust. Is it due to their power ? Their intent to kill ? Side effects ?

Alt idea :
Just use fucking AURA/MANA !!
Flare your supreme mana capacity and spread them into the room !!
Make it physical !!

An aura specific to show that you want and can kill the target is rather niche. It's only useful to keep bugs away.

Well, that's my idea.

Btw, If you're writing with Xianxia Cultivation trope, like those shitty CN please keep using "killing intent" and make so subversion of the trope.

SailusGebel

Killing intent? You mean that "I've got this whole room under my thumb" vibe you emit with a mere glance. It's like telepathically sending a message "Bow before my supreme presence, for I am the ultimate ruler of this domain." Just a casual way to flex your invisible crown?
For those who don't know what it is, here is a small explanation from TV tropes.

the idea that when someone intends to inflict pain or death, their "Killing Intent" can be felt as a slight pressure or chill, even to people unaware of their presence.
Does this count?
:blob_hmm_two: I'm not sure.

Last edited:

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I like the Hunter x Hunter way that the killing intent is part of the power system, instead of being a sixth sense thing

Hasu_Riri

:blob_hmm_two: I'm not sure.

Killing intent isn't just some fantasy mumbo-jumbo. You can put your science goggles on and actually see it in action. Here's the scoop: shoot a death glare at a random Joe, and boom, they suddenly feel like you're their worst enemy. It's like telepathically telling them, "Hey, guess what? I'm not your number one fan."

But wait, there's more! It's like you've got this sixth sense for emotional roller coasters. You're casually vibing, and suddenly you know if someone's having a crummy day or riding the happiness train. No need for Sherlock-level deduction – you just feel it in your bones or vibes, or whatever you wanna call it.

Oh, and if you want to dive into the deep end, it's all about evolution. We humans, social animals, and all that jazz have this knack for reading and broadcasting emotions. It's like we're broadcasting stations, and our feelings are the radio waves. Call it emotional Wi-Fi – we're all connected, man. So, there you have it, the not-so-mysterious magic of "killing intent" explained in layman's terms.

Alright, let's talk about crafting that killing intent. It's like you're sending a text message, but instead of emojis, it's more of a "hey, death threat incoming" kind of vibe.

SailusGebel

Killing intent isn't just some fantasy mumbo-jumbo. You can put your science goggles on and actually see it in action. Here's the scoop: shoot a death glare at a random Joe, and boom, they suddenly feel like you're their worst enemy. It's like telepathically telling them, "Hey, guess what? I'm not your number one fan."

But wait, there's more! It's like you've got this sixth sense for emotional roller coasters. You're casually vibing, and suddenly you know if someone's having a crummy day or riding the happiness train. No need for Sherlock-level deduction – you just feel it in your bones or vibes, or whatever you wanna call it.

Oh, and if you want to dive into the deep end, it's all about evolution. We humans, social animals, and all that jazz have this knack for reading and broadcasting emotions. It's like we're broadcasting stations, and our feelings are the radio waves. Call it emotional Wi-Fi – we're all connected, man. So, there you have it, the not-so-mysterious magic of "killing intent" explained in layman's terms.

Alright, let's talk about crafting that killing intent. It's like you're sending a text message, but instead of emojis, it's more of a "hey, death threat incoming" kind of vibe.
"I'm not sure" was directed towards Corty. My replies got merged.

WaterFish

Killing intent is shown through expression, gripping a knife threateningly, or just perceiving another person’s actions as dangerous. It can be done purposefully, but most who feel it usually have pre-established fears beforehand.

What some writers lack is understanding of what killing intent is due to seeing it as some sort of aura or hallucination. People don’t ‘emit’ killing intent, that’s just how a person can perceive it.

You can’t ‘unknowingly feel’ killing intent from someone. That’s just a fantasy. Real killing intent is born from feeling ‘that person is going to kill me’ or ‘that thing is dangerous’.

You can’t fear something you didn’t see.

overall: I think it’s fine as long as the writer uses it right. Not suddenly bringing it up for nothing.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I found a tutorial on how to do it:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Continuing the topic of how to write different things. Today I ask you to give your insights about "killing intent" that is commonly used in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese works. For those who don't know what it is, here is a small explanation from TV tropes.

I hate this trope with passion. I think it's stupid, edgy, but most importantly, it's secondary. With the way authors commonly use it, killing intent is nothing more than an edgy intimidation. Yet I understand that something similar is possible and can be used. To write a proper killing intent, I should probably not exaggerate it, and that's it. But I want to hear your thoughts on the topic, since I saw a couple non-trivial advice in the previous thread. How to write a killing intent without making it look so stupid and edgy?
Eh. I like killing intent. It’s cool in Naruto and Unintended Cultivator.
The best way, I believe, is to go into depth on what type of death the individual is promising you. Will it be an endless inevitable chase as you world detonates around you and turns against you in a desperate attempt to give you up to the person with this sheer power? Or what about feeling light seams opening up on your skin because the killing intent is so powerful that paper cuts are forming where the killer will dismember your. This will naturally be colored by their mental fortitude (which you can describe by comparing to geological forces and formations or if you wanted to go extra edgy, use animals, which I’ve always found cool) and their personality (Orochimaru’s malicious personality is incredibly different from the intent that a justice-obsessed maniac would form).

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
Killing intent is hard to describe, it's a feeling you know something is wrong about a person. Think of it as a reaction that triggers your fight or flight response, your instinct telling you someone is dangerous.

I usually describe it like some invisible force choking you slowly, looking at you like a predator stalking its prey. Or something that make you stress out.

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
I will just share my favorite quotes that I created.

You can make the killing intent terrifying for the enemy. Make it sounds like an opera.

"Darkness is nothing but somewhat a special trick of demons to play the human hearts. To fall into the abyss and blame God for everything.
Only the heretics fall. The true zealots should form a wall. Ask him for blessings for salvation, seek for his forgiveness against temptation."
Hermes extended a hand on his right, calling forth a small figure at his side.
The Root God stepped back as he sensed a disturbing force - coming out from his palm.
'What is happening? Why is he alive? This doesn' t make any sense at all. No humans shouldn still believe in rapture!' whined Rooter God as he raised a sword - trying to overcome his fear.
"Fear not, remember this, heretic. You are thick. You have a sharp mind and very quick. But you are just nothing but a stick."
The eyes of the young Don was devoid of light. His aura was overwhelmed with purple and white mystique force. The force was beating soundly on his rough shoulders.
'Just what the fuck is this guy? [Status]'

<System: Failed to see the opponent's stats>
"You are a fellow man from the past, original, old world. You are gifted with a cheat abilities, presented with a new look, new environment, new life, and you literally, presumably enjoyed your love life. Forming a harem like the other bastards who read a lot of fantasy books in the internet. Believing the world will revolve around you because you are bless with the cheat system. But dear son, you commit a big mistake. You have to retake. You commit a lot of sins that only God knows how terrible human being you were in the past."

Hermes adjusted his gloves and placed a hand on his lips, smiling with a devious face.

The devoid eyes slowly regained a light, but the color was different.

The Root God gasped upon seeing his somewhat terrifying eyes: a lonewolf shaped and glowing purple neon gaze.

"You are a poor soul who was possessed by a demon system. Deceiving yourself that you are a God. But you are not. Yes, you are no human anymore, but a devil in a summoned body. But you are just an unfaithful, raptured man who abandoned his faith from the Almighty Father. Oh, hero of this world. Call me a vermin, demon, godless villain of all villains. I, Mura, Emperor of the Golden Ratican Empire. Your Isekai life shall ends here, devil."

This is spoiler lol.

Wake Up As Mafia Boss Arc 1 Volume 3.

Last edited:

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds

Depending on what you write it can be described differently, but generally killing intent is a presence/energy that emanate from a person who intent to harm or kill. Depending on the amount of people/beast this person have killed in his life, his killing intent will grow stronger.
Killing intent can be described as an invisible and intense pressure or atmosphere that surrounds the person emanating it. It's often likened to a palpable force, sending shivers down the spines of those who encounter it. This energy can evoke fear, anxiety, and a sense of danger in those who perceive it, regardless of their level of experience.

And while this thing can be "edgy" it's kind of a real thing when you face a soldier or a killer, it's in our instinct but are less see in humans compared to other animal, it's called "thanatosis" which consists of a total stiffening of the body (catalepsy) in the presence of a danger, or as a simple contact reaction, in order to simulate an apparent state of death.

To have more impact in this type of scene you have to write it in the receiver side, while be in a deafening silence and like someone said before you can said they feel a chill down their spines, or you can write about their hearts who start to beat madly without them possibly able to restrain it, sweat start to appear on their palms, a shiver invade their body, they can't shutter any words, their mind become blank and can't think straight.

I said earlier that depending on what type of story you write you can use it differently, an exemple is like creating illusion through your killing intent to let the victim fell into a nightmare of blood everywhere his/her eyes fell. Another way is the selftaught training, by using your own killing intent you use an illussion on you to let you experience countless death fights.

Generally killing intent are not hard to get but hard to control and even more to master and can't really be taught since each one have another perception of it.
You can’t fear something you didn’t see.
Can't you? Cause a lot of fear people have you can't see it.
This is what I dislike.
You don't have to make killing intent invisible, a lot of novel make it into a bloody aura. Some even create a power system around it.

Last edited: