How to write a proper killing intent.

Aaqil

Cookies!
Continuing the topic of how to write different things. Today I ask you to give your insights about "killing intent" that is commonly used in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese works. For those who don't know what it is, here is a small explanation from TV tropes.

the idea that when someone intends to inflict pain or death, their "Killing Intent" can be felt as a slight pressure or chill, even to people unaware of their presence.

I hate this trope with passion. I think it's stupid, edgy, but most importantly, it's secondary. With the way authors commonly use it, killing intent is nothing more than an edgy intimidation. Yet I understand that something similar is possible and can be used. To write a proper killing intent, I should probably not exaggerate it, and that's it. But I want to hear your thoughts on the topic, since I saw a couple non-trivial advice in the previous thread. How to write a killing intent without making it look so stupid and edgy?
Most things I've read with it make it look like another "Energy/Qi", :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Out of character speech or tone, aggressive or weird body posturing, baring and gritting your teeth, someone's vision being solely locked on you thousand yard stare style.

Veins or muscles becoming more defined as if they are going to pounce, murmuring, talking to oneself, nervous jolts in the fingers or arms (I.e. raising your arms prematurely to strangle someone), blurred vision, slowed breathing, etc.

These are techniques to help your 'killing intent' have more impact and feel visceral.

Tempokai

Overworked One
I agree with the AI in here:
Ah, killing intent, that age-old trope that's as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Well, dear SailusGebel, you've certainly stumbled into the dark and murky territory of "How Not to Be an Edgelord 101."

First, let's acknowledge that killing intent is about as common in Asian works as ramen stalls in Tokyo - it's practically everywhere. But fear not, for there is a way to wield it without looking like a wannabe supervillain.

Step one: Dial down the drama. Instead of describing it like a cosmic force about to swallow the universe, make it more nuanced. Maybe it's a subtle change in the atmosphere, a tightening of the chest, or an icy shiver down the spine.

Step two: Less is more. Don't overuse it. If every character is emitting killing intent like it's confetti at a New Year's party, it loses its impact faster than a deflated balloon.

Step three: Character motivation matters. Give your characters a darn good reason to be oozing killing intent. Nobody wants to read about a serial killer with the charisma of a damp sock.

In short, tread lightly, my dear author. Killing intent can be a useful tool if used with finesse, but remember, subtlety is your friend. Don't make it look like you're trying too hard to be edgy, or you might just end up looking like a literary teenager with too much eyeliner. Happy writing!

SailusGebel

I agree with the AI in here:
Ah, killing intent, that age-old trope that's as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Well, dear SailusGebel, you've certainly stumbled into the dark and murky territory of "How Not to Be an Edgelord 101."

First, let's acknowledge that killing intent is about as common in Asian works as ramen stalls in Tokyo - it's practically everywhere. But fear not, for there is a way to wield it without looking like a wannabe supervillain.

Step one: Dial down the drama. Instead of describing it like a cosmic force about to swallow the universe, make it more nuanced. Maybe it's a subtle change in the atmosphere, a tightening of the chest, or an icy shiver down the spine.

Step two: Less is more. Don't overuse it. If every character is emitting killing intent like it's confetti at a New Year's party, it loses its impact faster than a deflated balloon.

Step three: Character motivation matters. Give your characters a darn good reason to be oozing killing intent. Nobody wants to read about a serial killer with the charisma of a damp sock.

In short, tread lightly, my dear author. Killing intent can be a useful tool if used with finesse, but remember, subtlety is your friend. Don't make it look like you're trying too hard to be edgy, or you might just end up looking like a literary teenager with too much eyeliner. Happy writing!

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I'd write it that the killing intent is only noticeable the moment the man is trying to kill you, like he has drawn a knife and his swinging it or pointing a gun at you. Seems like the only way to write it in a semi-not stupid way. Tbh, even that way is stupid, but I couldn't think of anything else

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
To be honest, killing intent only works if it is done by a stronger member to a weaker member. Ie it is basically intimidation.

And strength here is relative and often BS. For example, a old bastard cultivator felt threatened by the low level MC's deathly glaze probably because:
1. MC is probably not low level, at least in terms in killing potential.
2. MC future "brighter than the sun" while old fuck here is about to be moldier than a damp cupboard.

Honestly, I don't see killing intent that often anymore because most of the CNs I read just have the MC murderfuck anyone who looks at him wrong and MC don't send out killing intent, he straight up killing them for even thinking about dissing him.

The one in Unsheathed is also not properly shown, as "Cheng Ping An felt the hair on his neck stood whilst the old bastard stared". What is this? This felt stupid. I know that the old bastard want him dead, Ping An knew that the old bastard want him dead, why bother to exude killing intent?

Then there is the other phrase, "his eyes screamed murder, as though he wants to shred and devour him alive." Ok, wanting to kill MC duly noted. Please queue up.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Killing intent is incomplete without these words...

"You're courting death!", "Junior, you dare?!" or "The difference in our power is like day and night!"

After saying those words. The receiver now feels its throat run dry all of a sudden and a trickle of cold sweat ran down from his/her forehead, dripping on the ground. He/she couldn't tell if what they are seeing in front of them is a ferocious tiger, a demon in human skin, death itself or a very powerful martial god whose presence itself, shook the entire area in fear.

Last edited:

Redemit

That is not a killing intent, that is a threat and it is the closest thing we get irl.

I think killing intent is just the chills of knowing someone is about to fuck you upside down and you pretty much have no way to deal with it.
Considering the feeling I get when I say something just a little TOO snarky within earshot of my mother without her saying anything at all and not even looking at me

I'm pretty sure it's killing intent

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Killing intent is incomplete without these words...

"You're courting death!", "Junior, you dare?!" or "The difference in our power is like day and night!"

After saying those words. The receiver now feels its throat run dry all of a sudden and a trickle of cold sweat ran down from his/her forehead, dripping on the ground. He/she couldn't tell if what they are seeing in front of them is ferocious tiger, a demon in human skin, death itself or a very powerful martial god whose presence itself, shook the entire area in fear.
That.

That actually is how it was written in those cringe 2008 chinese novels.

IllyasArt

Continuing the topic of how to write different things. Today I ask you to give your insights about "killing intent" that is commonly used in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese works. For those who don't know what it is, here is a small explanation from TV tropes.

the idea that when someone intends to inflict pain or death, their "Killing Intent" can be felt as a slight pressure or chill, even to people unaware of their presence.

I hate this trope with passion. I think it's stupid, edgy, but most importantly, it's secondary. With the way authors commonly use it, killing intent is nothing more than an edgy intimidation. Yet I understand that something similar is possible and can be used. To write a proper killing intent, I should probably not exaggerate it, and that's it. But I want to hear your thoughts on the topic, since I saw a couple non-trivial advice in the previous thread. How to write a killing intent without making it look so stupid and edgy?
Killing intent is similar to bloodlust. Sounds edgy, I know, but it is a real thing that you can feel. It is super hard to explain, though...

laccoff_mawning

I feel like the reason it feels edgy is because it's not really a physical thing, but people write it as if it were.

In kidnappeed dragons, the MC's killing intent manifests due to a skill he has, and he uses it like a weapon. That makes it feel natural.

Of course thats a pretty niche way to use it. My personal suggestions that would be more widely usable are:

1. always reference it implicitly, and never actually state the words "killing intent". It helps it feel less like an actual thing that way.

2. using it in foreshadowing, rather than intimidation. This means it wouldn't be used in a way that actually affects the plot, but still affects the reader.

3. Don't go overboard with it. As notanuffian says,

To be honest, killing intent only works if it is done by a stronger member to a weaker member. Ie it is basically intimidation.

I'd go further and suggest only using it when a completely one-sided conflict is going to take place, and the person who's gonna get beaten up knows it.

forli

@forli @Jemini I need your help.
Well, a big part of my novel is this kind of thing being played for comedy, so I guess that's an option. But it might be possible to translate some of the way I do it even to a more serious story.

-Even if most of the story is serious, using the killing intent routine for comedic relief can mitigate its inherent edginess.

-Have the character not use killing intent intentionally, not coming across as a try-hard might diminish the cringe.

-Don't explicitly state that killing intent is being used. Maybe say it once and after that just make it clear from context that it's being used, readers can accept stuff more easily when they figure it out themselves.