Writing How would you describe your writing style?

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Just as the question says. And I'm just curious. Like, this site is ostensibly for novels written in the light novel style/ranobe style you see in Japanese light novels and cellphone novels and Chinese and Korean web novels. I know there's a major difference in sentence structures and scripts used in different languages, but how do you interpret the "light novel" style in English for your novel on SH?

On the other hand, do you just not worry about that and write it like a YA novel in English? Or do you like to experiment with your style based on other fiction books you've read besides light novels? Do you like writing in long winding sentences of literary prose? Or do you like writing in short and clipped minimalist sentences?

I'm just curious, is all. I want to pick you brains a little. Not literarily, of course. Just figuratively. I may be a fluffy butt-stabber, but I'm a nice fluffy butt-stabber.

TachimeSan

I think light novels are more heavily focused on the dialogue between the characters? Whereas traditional English novels rely more on descriptions?

Fox-Trot-9

Yeah, I figured as much, but the LNs I've read tend to be on the wordier side (i.e.: Nisio Isin's Monogatari books). Btw, which style do you lean more into for your story?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Just as the question says. And I'm just curious. Like, this site is ostensibly for novels written in the light novel style/ranobe style you see in Japanese light novels and cellphone novels and Chinese and Korean web novels. I know there's a major difference in sentence structures and scripts used in different languages, but how do you interpret the "light novel" style in English for your novel on SH?

On the other hand, do you just not worry about that and write it like a YA novel in English? Or do you like to experiment with your style based on other fiction books you've read besides light novels? Do you like writing in long winding sentences of literary prose? Or do you like writing in short and clipped minimalist sentences?

I'm just curious, is all. I want to pick you brains a little. Not literarily, of course. Just figuratively. I may be a fluffy butt-stabber, but I'm a nice fluffy butt-stabber.
My writing?
"The words of God flow through my fingertips"

EternalSunset0

I personally do a bit more descriptions and action narration than the standard LN, but I try to at least make my work and prose flow like an actual LN. I think this results in me generally having a higher word count than the typical LN but not long enough for the long Western fictions.

For interpreting the style, I have actual PDFs and physical copies of LNs with me, the Yen Press translated stuff like NGNL, Black Bullet, or Mahouka, and try to learn how their sentences get structured. Not sure if you saw that from what you've read of my work.

I think I would prefer to go the actual LN route and have a lot more dialogue instead of descriptions, but I can't really find myself comfortable in writing without the "action narration" part or the sensory perceptions or monologues that (hopefully) help bring out my characters' personalities.

My vocabulary is shallow though. Or at least the word bank when writing. In a sense that when I look at a word, I easily know what it means, but when I'm actually writing, the exact same word doesn't come up in my mental library of sorts, so I end up using a lot of blanket terms instead of more precise, descriptive ones.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
Me just write ma thoughts while trying to somehow compilate it into something readable. Not sure if dat could be called style at all but welp, dats how it is. Result is questionable.

Fox-Trot-9

Yeah, after reading your work, it's definitely got that light novel feel with more words in it like Nisio Isin. The thing I've noticed about LNs (well, the ones that are written in 1st person, at least) is that they're very focused on the thoughts of the narrator MC. Like, their opinions on stuff happening in front of them without actually engaging in what's happening, very opinionated and observant, I've noticed.

Fuck. Forgot to click the reply button.

Last edited:

Fox-Trot-9

Me just write ma thoughts while trying to somehow compilate it into something readable. Not sure if dat could be called style at all but welp, dats how it is. Result is questionable.
I see.

Fox-Trot-9

I personally do a bit more descriptions and action narration than the standard LN, but I try to at least make my work and prose flow like an actual LN. I think this results in me generally having a higher word count than the typical LN but not long enough for the long Western fictions.

For interpreting the style, I have actual PDFs and physical copies of LNs with me, the Yen Press translated stuff like NGNL, Black Bullet, or Mahouka, and try to learn how their sentences get structured. Not sure if you saw that from what you've read of my work.

I think I would prefer to go the actual LN route and have a lot more dialogue instead of descriptions, but I can't really find myself comfortable in writing without the "action narration" part or the sensory perceptions or monologues that (hopefully) help bring out my characters' personalities.

My vocabulary is shallow though. Or at least the word bank when writing. In a sense that when I look at a word, I easily know what it means, but when I'm actually writing, the exact same word doesn't come up in my mental library of sorts, so I end up using a lot of blanket terms instead of more precise, descriptive ones.
Yeah, after reading your work, it's definitely got that light novel feel with more words in it like Nisio Isin. The thing I've noticed about LNs (well, the ones that are written in 1st person, at least) is that they're very focused on the thoughts of the narrator MC. Like, their opinions on stuff happening in front of them without actually engaging in what's happening, very opinionated and observant, I've noticed.

Zelthias

My style is definitely literary, but I’m trying a blend of the LN and Western styles with my current work. I switch between longer prose when it fits, but try to keep the style in line for the tone of the scene’s setting. I’m also new here^^

EternalSunset0

Yeah, definitely. I think the big advantage of first person LNs is that their opinions as observers are very detailed.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Mine has been inproving a lot more compared to the past.

It should be a good thing but its the main reason why i periodically update due to how i tend to rewrite mistakes and even erasing them to fit into the narrative.

Once you read my old work, you can see the vast changes i have improved my english writing skills over the years.

I began to put commas, watch the sentences, make more clear tones and even having to use formal sentencing to make my grammar at least better than in the past.

However, i lost the sense of tone, character diversity and even the speed releases due to caring for how i writing things than basically writing a novel.

I basically compared to two novels which were my own works but in different timelines and i can say that my current writing skills are more clean but isn't as popular as my old writing skills. Yet, i can never return to my old writing style because my grammar skills had improved so much that i tend to watch out for what i write.

Fox-Trot-9

My style is definitely literary, but I’m trying a blend of the LN and Western styles with my current work. I switch between longer prose when it fits, but try to keep the style in line for the tone of the scene’s setting. I’m also new here^^
Ah, intersting. I tend to lean more towards literary and experiment with stuff, which is pretty much atypical for a site like this. Oh, and welcome to SH! :giggle:

Fox-Trot-9

Yeah, definitely. I think the big advantage of first person LNs is that their opinions as observers are very detailed.
Yeah, I've noticed. In that way, the style is very modernist, b/c the narration puts you inside their heads. My style's definitely not as cerebral as that, though. Mine's more action-oriented with action beats and setting details and stuff like that.

Fox-Trot-9

Mine has been inproving a lot more compared to the past.

It should be a good thing but its the main reason why i periodically update due to how i tend to rewrite mistakes and even erasing them to fit into the narrative.

Once you read my old work, you can see the vast changes i have improved my english writing skills over the years.

I began to put commas, watch the sentences, make more clear tones and even having to use formal sentencing to make my grammar at least better than in the past.

However, i lost the sense of tone, character diversity and even the speed releases due to caring for how i writing things than basically writing a novel.

I basically compared to two novels which were my own works but in different timelines and i can say that my current writing skills are more clean but isn't as popular as my old writing skills. Yet, i can never return to my old writing style because my grammar skills had improved so much that i tend to watch out for what i write.
Yeah, we tend to slow down our updates as we focus on improving our writing over time. It just comes with the territory, I guess. But what do you mean by 'isn't as popular as my old writing skills'? Doesn't the popularity of a story usually increase as the quality of the prose improves? Or is b/c is sounds a bit too formal and isn't as popular, b/c it sounds a bit stiff?

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
I'm always on the side where I would like to describe the actions and what goes through my characters' heads. Since I'm using First Person POV, I would like to describe what they are feeling in terms of emotions or arguments inside their mind. Dialogues are also a part of interaction in which the characters tend to use their head. I mean, when we encounter someone, something must have gone through our minds at some point as we talk along.

So I tend to describe it in long paragraphs and sentences in order to explain what is going on. I think it would likely give the character more depth and connection between their people and the readers who can feel the same thing they have gone through. Including some flashbacks also gave some more emotional connection in seeing how the characters interact with each other. In bad, good, or both ways, it influences how the character extends their way of thinking logically and mentally.

Here are some examples of it from my chapter:

Exhibit A :

I have to be strong, Al's going to be alright! But then again, what if dad's too late? W-what if the same thing happened to him? And all that I can do is sit here and wait for them to return. What am I going to do? What am I going to do?

Exhibit B :

I shut my eyes tight as my body trembled in fear of what’s to come. A course of coldness flowed from the top of my head down to my fingertips. I can almost hear my heartbeat beating unrhythmically, jumping out of my chest if it could. I clenched my teeth when I heard a tap on the floor close to my right.

So these are two examples of how I write about my characters' feelings and thoughts. I don't really know the difference between LN and other kinds of writing styles, so I'm just describing how I usually write.

Fox-Trot-9

I'm always on the side where I would like to describe the actions and what goes through my characters' heads. Since I'm using First Person POV, I would like to describe what they are feeling in terms of emotions or arguments inside their mind. Dialogues are also a part of interaction in which the characters tend to use their head. I mean, when we encounter someone, something must have gone through our minds at some point as we talk along.

So I tend to describe it in long paragraphs and sentences in order to explain what is going on. I think it would likely give the character more depth and connection between their people and the readers who can feel the same thing they have gone through. Including some flashbacks also gave some more emotional connection in seeing how the characters interact with each other. In bad, good, or both ways, it influences how the character extends their way of thinking logically and mentally.

Here are some examples of it from my chapter:

Exhibit A :

I have to be strong, Al's going to be alright! But then again, what if dad's too late? W-what if the same thing happened to him? And all that I can do is sit here and wait for them to return. What am I going to do? What am I going to do?

Exhibit B :

I shut my eyes tight as my body trembled in fear of what’s to come. A course of coldness flowed from the top of my head down to my fingertips. I can almost hear my heartbeat beating unrhythmically, jumping out of my chest if it could. I clenched my teeth when I heard a tap on the floor close to my right.

So these are two examples of how I write about my characters' feelings and thoughts. I don't really know the difference between LN and other kinds of writing styles, so I'm just describing how I usually write.
Ah, I see. It's been awhile since I wrote in 1st person POV, but I definitely get what you're saying about going into people's heads and describing their physical actions. I usually write in 3rd person, so I tend to lean more on actions with a smattering of interiority (going into people's heads) based on whose's POV the scene's in my writing, but I can also apply it to 1st person. Thank you for showing some examples of it in your writing.