Writing How would you describe your writing style?

iamaducklingwriter

Just as the question says. And I'm just curious. Like, this site is ostensibly for novels written in the light novel style/ranobe style you see in Japanese light novels and cellphone novels and Chinese and Korean web novels. I know there's a major difference in sentence structures and scripts used in different languages, but how do you interpret the "light novel" style in English for your novel on SH?

On the other hand, do you just not worry about that and write it like a YA novel in English? Or do you like to experiment with your style based on other fiction books you've read besides light novels? Do you like writing in long winding sentences of literary prose? Or do you like writing in short and clipped minimalist sentences?

I'm just curious, is all. I want to pick you brains a little. Not literarily, of course. Just figuratively. I may be a fluffy butt-stabber, but I'm a nice fluffy butt-stabber.
My writing style is heavily influenced with CN novels. I also used their slangs and terms a lot.

But thinking further, I can also be influenced by other writing styles. I'm very flexible he hehe I just found CN novels' writing structure fun.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
My writing style is heavily influenced with CN novels. I also used their slangs and terms a lot.

But thinking further, I can also be influenced by other writing styles. I'm very flexible he hehe I just found CN novels' writing structure fun.
It's good to be flexible in your writing style and have more than one influence for your style. It makes for a more flexible style that you can use better for your own writing. Oh, and I'm not as familiar with the acronyms, so what's CN novels? Cellphone novels or Chinese web novels? Sorry for my ignorance.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Yeah, we tend to slow down our updates as we focus on improving our writing over time. It just comes with the territory, I guess. But what do you mean by 'isn't as popular as my old writing skills'? Doesn't the popularity of a story usually increase as the quality of the prose improves? Or is b/c is sounds a bit too formal and isn't as popular, b/c it sounds a bit stiff?
Mainly for the character interactions. I lack basic english writing skills but i tend to give more personalities to my character, even without any description on them. Making them feel more real and alive. Now? I basically put formal tone in my wording that i basically confused people whose who? Also, while my grammar skills in the past was kinda awful, due to my constant release chapter rate(probably 5-6 chaps per day), it gained traction due to my unique writing style and even innovative ideas which even for my standards, i suddenly got hooked into reading my own novel and thought 'Piece of sht author, why won't you update already?!' basically insulting myself.

I never knew what kind of charm i bring whenever i read my works but i tend to blame myself of not updating when i realize i tend to get hooked whenever i read my own novel.

Fox-Trot-9

Mainly for the character interactions. I lack basic english writing skills but i tend to give more personalities to my character, even without any description on them. Making them feel more real and alive. Now? I basically put formal tone in my wording that i basically confused people whose who? Also, while my grammar skills in the past was kinda awful, due to my constant release chapter rate(probably 5-6 chaps per day), it gained traction due to my unique writing style and even innovative ideas which even for my standards, i suddenly got hooked into reading my own novel and thought 'Piece of sht author, why won't you update already?!' basically insulting myself.

I never knew what kind of charm i bring whenever i read my works but i tend to blame myself of not updating when i realize i tend to get hooked whenever i read my own novel.
Oh, and I see. Try not to put yourself under too much pressure, though. You might burn yourself out doing that. Have you read other books to help you improve your writing, though? Reading other people's books can help you improve your own writing, as it lets you soak in how other writers do things in their writing.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Imagine a verbose, Shakespearean esque composition told through intricate construction of rare verbs and nouns presented one paragraph after another in a feverish passion almost felt through your screen.

And then you remember that the one telling that composition is a crack pot high to his eyeballs on coke.

That would be how I'd describe my writing style.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Wow! Care to give some example excerpts? :blob_wink:
Here's a short clip of a character making steak:

Finally, with much satisfaction, the cub dropped the meat into the pan and immediately pressed it down with the spatula. The sizzle that came with it popped in the cub’s ear like orchestral music, bringing a phantom taste into his mouth courtesy of his childlike imagination and expectation of the extravagant flavour he’d be able to savour after. It took every fibre in the cub’s being to keep himself from drooling as he flipped the meat, watching the pork blade blaze within the golden grease. Every swirl he made with the steak in the pan carried with it the smoking scent all too irresistible to carnivores like him. The cub, if he were to lose all sense of self-restraint, would have thrown himself at the pan and gulped it down. The pain from the burning oil would be a concern for an irrelevant time, too unimportant to ponder on during that hypothetical moment.

Kldran

I write almost entirely in dialogue and internal monologuing. As a result, which characters I use as the point of view, has a big impact on what parts of the story get told. There've been a number of instances where I had to use side characters viewpoints to bring up things the main character would just not bother to mention.

Fox-Trot-9

Here's a short clip of a character making steak:

Finally, with much satisfaction, the cub dropped the meat into the pan and immediately pressed it down with the spatula. The sizzle that came with it popped in the cub’s ear like orchestral music, bringing a phantom taste into his mouth courtesy of his childlike imagination and expectation of the extravagant flavour he’d be able to savour after. It took every fibre in the cub’s being to keep himself from drooling as he flipped the meat, watching the pork blade blaze within the golden grease. Every swirl he made with the steak in the pan carried with it the smoking scent all too irresistible to carnivores like him. The cub, if he were to lose all sense of self-restraint, would have thrown himself at the pan and gulped it down. The pain from the burning oil would be a concern for an irrelevant time, too unimportant to ponder on during that hypothetical moment.
Very Shakespearean indeed!

Fox-Trot-9

I write almost entirely in dialogue and internal monologuing. As a result, which characters I use as the point of view, has a big impact on what parts of the story get told. There've been a number of instances where I had to use side characters viewpoints to bring up things the main character would just not bother to mention.
Interesting. Sounds like a very cerebral kind of writing, I think.

Jessie_Emilyn

I am more a light novel style I guess and I do write just in the first person more. I like the control of a main character while having pretty fleshed out characters. The idea that you get a single character that you share what they know more and only get their inner thoughts and not the thoughts of others so you can see the story through them and even get some hints of what they have worked out even if they are wrong. Description I am pretty lacking with at times keeping it basic. It isn't that I can't do descriptions it just sometimes feels like a telling instead of showing aspect that can slow down the story. I am writing more for the story and characters than to describe the world.

I also feel my style is still adapting and growing. I am dyslexic and english (my primary language) has always been a weakness but it is still my prefered method of creativity. I feel I can make characters that I can understand and write through pretty well, my best moment in writing is where I didn't see a plot twist and had to write around it adding a chapter or so to it just to get the story on track and plot point that came up resolved. That story was a pretty planned out one for the basic story plot and while I had multiple possible love interests I have pretty much settled on making the main character ace instead of lesbian or at least open to those interactions (so could have been bi or pan etc). One of my friends described me as a walking paradox because I could be aromantic but come up with some way too romantic ideas (however that wasn't from my story writing but a little fun idea about 2 characters in fiction).

I think I do a bit of "writing what you know" a bit more which makes me avoid romance a lot. I have never felt love and such so writing that kind of thing through first person feels problematic but other emotions like embarassement, shyness, anger, fear I know very well and can make them more real. Heck my main story I have posted here (written a lot before finding this site and releasing it here has made me work on it more again) was basically taking parts of me and fragmenting them into different characters, the main traits of them but then fleshing them out massively to feel real and making backstories to fit some as to why they are like that, details vary a lot and a lot of characters have had more normal lives than extreme stuff.

Also my signature really describes why my forum posts are like this :p

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
My writing is the bible itself

The_Long_Serpent

Eccentric Creator
My prose has been described as short, stark, and simple. The chapters are very short, one to two pages long, and the descriptions are brief but specific. Most of my human characters get very little description.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
My style depends on the character's mood, the tone of the story, the genre, and the world's setting. Something less serious will be more like a light novel. A more depressing world has less dialogue, moodier writing, and a mix of sentence fragments when writing first person.

JayDirex

minimalist- third person limited/omni.

I've been told that I need to have characters reflecting more but that's bullshit. They reflect they, joke they're interesting, and have motives. They just don't go into full on monologues every chapter.

the things my characters do and say, and the little moments of reflection are more than enough for the reader to know what the heck is going on in their head.

Read the first two paragraph of my chapter one you'll see clearly what I'm talking about.

minacia

perpetually sour
Oh?? I get to dump writing samples as well?

I have several, but I'm partial to experimental stuff.

Ready for some cringe???

It was a white space.

Pure white.

A giant elevator that was slowly descending through space-time.

Xuelan was sobbing. Tears streamed uncontrollably down her face, and she clung to Kien's unconscious body like a widow grieving over her dead husband's corpse.

Of course, she knew he wasn't actually dead forever, but knowledge of that fact didn't make it any less worse. She didn't exactly understand why she was still with her ex-boyfriend, but she felt simultaneously relieved yet devastated. The massive tumbleweed of emotions inside of her heart had spilled open out of her fragile exterior shell, and it bled all over the floor together with all of her sadness, solace, scars, spirit, and scoured soul.

It was her fault.

Although it only comes out like that if I have a surge of inspiration.

Other times I do 100% dialogue with no description.

"How are you doing?" The priest asked.

"Fine."

"You are clearly not fine."

"I am fine as I'm ever going to be."

"Fayola, please. I want you to know that I care about you. You can talk to me. You can trust me."

"There is nothing wrong and nothing I want to talk about."

"How are your dreams?"

"You can read the reports. Didn't the council decide that I am supposed to write them all down and submit them for review? You get my summaries on your desk every day."

"That is different. I want to know how you are feeling."

Occasionally, I alternate between description paragraphs and the telegraphic stuff.

It was fluffy.

And warm.

I was confused yet somehow totally okay with this.

This place was dark and poorly lit, and I was pressed up against a massive wall of fur that seemed at least five times my size. The musky scent was inviting, familiar, and wonderful. Rushes of oxytocin and dopamine coursed through my brain, and I felt relaxed in ways I never had experienced before.

Instinctually, my brain processed this giant wall of fluff as my lover.

My partner. My mate.

Huh.

I didn't know I was married to anyone.

I had always been single for most of my life, but this felt nice.

He was warm and I could feel his powerful heart beating pressed up against his soft fluffy back.

Okay, I'll stop spamming now, but I think that gives the idea!

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
My writing was mediocre, I just write what I thought. I didn't think about show or tell, or any type of deep vocabularies that you'll have to search in dictionary or whatever. I just write, my writing was influenced by web novels and light novels... So yeah. Anyway, I just wanted to say advance merry Christmas!!!! 🎅🎄🎄

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
I write like I'm speaking English. I'm not going to try and make my writing worse or bad grammatically just to make it seem like a translation. That seems lazy to me.

Also, with good English writing, sentences vary in length in order to prevent monotony and keep the reader interested.