How would you feel about someone pointing out typos/grammatical errors in every chapter?

gadgaurd

First and foremost, apologies if this doesn't go here, my first time using these forums. Anyway, I have on multiple occasions come across stories I enjoy that have quite a few errors on them, and I'm unsure how authors generally feel about someone pointing out errors in potentially every single chapter. Particularly when this is all free and some people are just writing for fun. So I wanted to ask here where there are, apparently, quite a few authors. Naturally I'd not be rude about it.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I always appreciate it if they are not condescending. Any time someone points one out, I always fix them ASAP and let them know I did it.

Now, if I am being greeted with snarky comments while being corrected, then I still fix it but ignore the person and never answer his/her comments. Helping me fix the story to be a better read is very much appreciated. Doing it from a high horse is not, so it all depends on how the comment is worded.

If a writer can't take it, he/she should not have become one.

Feylin

XDD for me, i feel happy and honored that someone actually read the entire thing and is very observant, but that doesn't mean i dont appreciate the other readers. I just think of them as silent readers who just enjoys it so much that they didnt realize my mistakes. either way, its nice to have someone read ur story :DD

KuruKinaar

It helps if they are asking for or expecting feedback. I've encountered people who get really upset when you point out their errors on their works on comments and such without asking permission. Overall, DM them asking if you can make grammar suggestions to improve/clarify their work before doing so.

LilRora

Mostly formless
It'll depend on the attitude of the person. If those were all just pointing out objective mistakes and maybe ways to correct them, then sure. Always good to know. It's another matter if someone's complaining or explaining why I should have done something over something else that is not a mistake, but an intentional change on my part. One example I saw just yesterday was a person complaining about changing tenses across the chapter, not even realizing there was a flashback there. I've had both happen, and those are just annoying.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I like when they point them out. :p
I like when they point them out. :p
Also I don't think readers should ask for permission. It would be silly to recieve constant DMs asking if they could point out mistakes than people just pointing them out in comments.

Authors are free to delete comments on this site. If you don't like a comment you are free to delete, and I think blocking someone prevents them from commenting further.

Last edited:

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Happen to me. He/She was not condescending and even said sorry a few time to point the grammatical errors in my chapters. That was a bit hurting when he/she make an edit suggestion who look like a wall of words, but the more he/she advanced in the chapters, the less the edit suggestion appeared or it was small detail like writing he/she instead of it.

In the end it was a free editor, if you have some readers like that, thanks them, except if they tell you harsh words without a reason, they may not stay till the end of your story, but that help having a better beginning with less grammatical errors in it.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Particularly when this is all free and some people are just writing for fun.
You just answered it yourself. It is "all free and some people are just writing for fun." Most authors are, in fact, in DESPERATE SEEK of feedback. Some of them would probably be so grateful to you that they might shed tears at the end of the day just by receiving a few words of acknowledgment in the form of: "You wrote bstard, it should be bastard." It just proves someone actually cares for what they are writing.

AdOtherwise

Owl Who Reads · Hoot Hoot
First and foremost, apologies if this doesn't go here, my first time using these forums. Anyway, I have on multiple occasions come across stories I enjoy that have quite a few errors on them, and I'm unsure how authors generally feel about someone pointing out errors in potentially every single chapter. Particularly when this is all free and some people are just writing for fun. So I wanted to ask here where there are, apparently, quite a few authors. Naturally I'd not be rude about it.
I LOVE getting feedback. Actually, if you would be so kind and have the time, I would gratefully accept some grammatical and error feedback. Of course, the prerequisite is you actually enjoy what you are reading.

J_Chemist

I am thankful so long as they aren't trying to start an argument.

Grammar is a set of rules meant to allow for easy reading and comprehension, but you can play with grammar creatively to have fun with it. You also can utilize it as a tool to force a Reader to interpret your writing a certain way. Much. Like how if. You put periods. It causes you to generally. Stop. And pause. Doing it over and over makes. It choppy. And can make it seem. Like you're hiccupping in your. Head.

People who are stuck up will hate you for creative writing and throw pitchforks at you for not playing by the normal rules. They don't understand that I use rules as guidelines, not boundaries, and find some things I do annoying. There have been two or three that have tried to attack me for it but I just muted their comments/deleted them.

Typos, however, I fix ASAP and am very thankful when it's pointed out because boy is spelling hard. I also type at like 70-80wpm when I'm cooking, so I miss a lot.

Tsuru

Robot
Well.
Its nice to know you won't be like a certain author of a slave harem series (early first nsfw work on SH, despite trash BETA mc+old tropes was popular bc no nsfw competitors at the beginning)

that rashly criticized,
mocked,
spit on,
and asked to stop doing it,
and insulted people as "broke" "free users" "that should be satisfied because they arent paid users of HIS OWN VIP website"
while using the excuse "its pdf and its a pain to correct it"
despite the commenters trying to kindly point out the typos with a good intentions.
(comments deleted sadly)

ps : i love bashing corpses of bad guys. And sympathy is the mother of arrogance, for villains.

BlackKnightX

I'm truly grateful when the readers do that. Although I do revise and edit multiple times, there are some errors I haven't caught.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I think at least on RR they have the feature to suggest changes built into comments. If an author doesn't care about the quality of their work, how can they expect anyone to read it?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Before you point out errors, check with the internet to make sure it's actually an error and not just a preference. If you see a recurring issue, providing the author a link can be helpful.

Also, blond is an adjective and blonde is a noun.

People are also allowed to intentionally break grammar rules for effect, especially in dialogue.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Before you point out errors, check with the internet to make sure it's actually an error and not just a preference. If you see a recurring issue, providing the author a link can be helpful.

Also, blond is an adjective and blonde is a noun.

People are also allowed to intentionally break grammar rules for effect, especially in dialogue.
Such careful, very thoughtful.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
I’m always happy to get constructive feedback! It definitely helps clean up my chapters since I write them in ScribbleHub (I have no backups or anything I literally just write on the site) and usually publish my chapter same day (motivation and self doubt issues otherwise).