Hypothetical: What if.... you are being groomed, but secretly you are....

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Continuing with a vaguely biennial event of Strange High Pathetic Co. started by my good archnemesis @Generic.Archdemon, here is another new and exciting question!

Ok imagine!

You are a fully grown mature adult, that does a lot of adulting, and you are both body and soul that of a 40 to 60 year old person!

Whilst online you choose to take on the vibe of a 10 to 12 year old, because.... er... I dun know.... let's not unpack that. in this scenario...

Over time, you created a fun, role play for yourself with lore and back story of who "you" were. And you'd get surrounded by wholesomeness and cute animal memes.

It was then one of your acquaintances online, Mr. X , that you had known for about 3 months that started to act suspiciously... in ways, you had never experienced before...

This Mr. X had been suggesting that they were in a similar geographic location as you and that they too enjoyed the same things "you" do. They seem to shower you with compliments at times and at other times they'd try to get you to push boundaries... often ending with them telling "you".... how mature you are. And then the DMs started... and it hit you.

Gasp! You realized you are being groomed, and not the good kind like manscaping or going to the saloon.

No~ it's not.... Apply Make-Up Reasonably. ... Dress Wisely. ... Smell Nice. ...
But it is.... Gaining Trust and Access. ... Gradually Isolating the Target... Creating a Secret Relationship. ...

You know you have to shut it down... or do you?

Do you? Shut it down? How? FBI?
Do you keep going... coz it's nice to be wanted?
Do you see how far they will push it?
What would you do when they start asking for pics?
Fully catfish them for money?

ABCGUY

The German Idiot
The one on the otherside is surely the same age as myselfthen (40-60) so im going to shut it down

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨

I... Both situations are equally as dodgy, there isn't a single logical decision with the ones you provided. I mean if you're pretending to be an underage kid on the internet... You too have issues :blob_catflip:

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Well, pretending to be someone you aren't, especially a kid... makes me think that you are just as weird as the pedo

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
i feel like if i were to make any rational decision in this scenario I would've pulled the brakes at this very point
I will be honest with you ben, the entire piece pivoted around me wanted to write the line

"Gasp! You realized you are being groomed, and not the good kind like manscaping or going to the saloon."

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
I will be honest with you ben, the entire piece pivoted around me wanted to write the line

"Gasp! You realized you are being groomed, and not the good kind like manscaping or going to the saloon."
Understandable. that's quite a good line :)

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I.....

I think I've been groomed guys...

And I'll just excuse myself to not say my circumstances and just tell that I use to be a catholic person who never swears, highly motivated and full of depression yet still dreams of having fun on the internet. I'll leave at that since never in my life did I get used to catcalling people(mostly guys) on the internet and pretend to be a gu-gir-blade on the internet.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Continuing with a vaguely biennial event of Strange High Pathetic Co. started by my good archnemesis @Generic.Archdemon, here is another new and exciting question!

Ok imagine!

You are a fully grown mature adult, that does a lot of adulting, and you are both body and soul that of a 40 to 60 year old person!

Whilst online you choose to take on the vibe of a 10 to 12 year old, because.... er... I dun know.... let's not unpack that. in this scenario...

Over time, you created a fun, role play for yourself with lore and back story of who "you" were. And you'd get surrounded by wholesomeness and cute animal memes.

It was then one of your acquaintances online, Mr. X , that you had known for about 3 months that started to act suspiciously... in ways, you had never experienced before...

This Mr. X had been suggesting that they were in a similar geographic location as you and that they too enjoyed the same things "you" do. They seem to shower you with compliments at times and at other times they'd try to get you to push boundaries... often ending with them telling "you".... how mature you are. And then the DMs started... and it hit you.

Gasp! You realized you are being groomed, and not the good kind like manscaping or going to the saloon.

No~ it's not.... Apply Make-Up Reasonably. ... Dress Wisely. ... Smell Nice. ...
But it is.... Gaining Trust and Access. ... Gradually Isolating the Target... Creating a Secret Relationship. ...

Oh I did that

yawarakai_heather

I am an adult and sometimes it feels good for me to watch kids cartoons. And I watched the ones made for young children. Probably because it brings me back to the time when I am happier. I can imagine the character pretending to be a kid online for the same reason.

TotallyHuman

Ok imagine!

I'd call the CPS on that beach. Like, immediately. Who knows if he(she for gender equality but let's be real here, it's a he) is grooming other (real) kids?

Amok

grblbrbl
The thing with going to the authorities is that technically no felony has been committed. On the chance that the groomer is attempting this with actual children tho or has kids of their own, as Trashy said, the feds can still end up saving someone. That said, you will definetely then be put on a watchlist yourself for impersonating a child online, regardless of how innocent your intentions were.