I need to test and discuss this new writing method

Were you able to read the text in the image with more focus and speed?

• Yes

• No

• I didn't read it

Results are only viewable after voting.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Are you able to read the following with more focus and speed than how you normally read?
View attachment 25736
If so, I want to discuss if this could be an alternative writing format for future and past writings. If not, it was a good test nonetheless.
it grabbed my attention, yeah, but more grating to the eye and made me wanna punch you tbh.
Hard to tell (which should be an option in the poll), for a proper analysis you'd need at least two texts of comparable length, half of them set up like this and half without the bold letters, and time a bunch of people on how long each text takes them.
Maybe even randomize which texts are emphasized like this and which are not, just to remove potential bias based on the text lengths.

Or in the setting of this forum, at least have the multiple text samples and leave the timing to people's gut feeling.

Definitely would need some getting used to if people started formating their texts this way.
they do this in comics alot too, i've noticed, but it also feels grating because the bolded words they choose often feels unimportant so it makes me annoyed. Like, "they should've bolded this word instead, would've made the text flow better." Also, sometimes they do it too much in general and it gets annoying

Vnator

I zoomed through it, but it requires you to trust yourself to am extent. There were times I slowed down and reread a sentence to double check if I read it correctly, but that was only once or twice. I feel that the sentence was easy to predict though, in prose or a moving plot it won't be as much and thus won't work as well imo

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Thank you all for your feedback. Either it worked and I now have a list of some of the neurodivergent forum members or 13 of you read slower and 11 of you faster because of personal preferences. Either way, I need more data.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I would need to test it more extensively to know for sure. Also, the words in the image are larger than the font size I normally read, so that helps me pay attention when my son is climbing on me.

I am not saying skimming make me bad at spelling... but I skim a lot....and I am really bad at spelling... it's like I skip a step... when i am reading most of the time...

J_Chemist

Would need a control to tell you whether or not I read it "faster" but I read it relatively quick.

I know how to speed read, though, so that helped.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
I feel like it hinders me on some words.. and it slows me down in a way.. it's much faster but at the cost of fumbling at words and trying again

prognastat

I had to change how I read. I started out way slower because I was trying to read the words. Then I switched to something more akin to skimming and it indeed went faster while retaining more of it than skimming usually does, but I didn't enjoy reading it.

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
Are you able to read the following with more focus and speed than how you normally read?
View attachment 25736
If so, I want to discuss if this could be an alternative writing format for future and past writings. If not, it was a good test nonetheless.
When I am speed reading, I usually make one or two focal verticals and follow them instead of going horizontally.

While I found this a little faster than normal reading, it is still considerably slow in comparision to the vertical method, and does take some practice and getting used to before it's efficiency increases.

I would suggest making central syllables bold rather than starting ones, or perhaps it would be more optimal to make the first letter and central syllable bold.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I don't know if I'm reading faster because I have "bionic reading makes you read faster" in my mind or if it really makes me read faster

DarkDuck09

Yeah I DNF'd the paragraph to go make myself another drink just thinking about the amount of work one would have to put in to format this.

FebyA

I think because I'm not used to it, it made me more focus/alert. But I can see that it's also easier to read somehow.

Is it faster? Probably not until I, and most of your reader, get used to it. Which means they might feel annoyed and turn away before then.