I was invited. But I don't know if it's legit.

SadTuna

So this morning I received a message from Webnovel Editors. They say they want to publish my story in webnovel but I feel uneasy and I don't know what to respond. I don't know if it's legit or what. They also have a discord, facebook, whatsapp and instagram. Currently, I'm having fun here. The people's platform is so active and they really guided me and given their opinions yesterday regarding my story. So I'm really 50/50 about my story getting published on different platform.

AdLeto

Go with your feels, this way you are going to stay true to yourself

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
You joined this site yesterday, and your novel has been up for about 20 hours. It has two chapters (one of which is the prologue and is very short), very few views, and no reviews. While it's too early to speak about plot, your paragraphs are big enough that I lose interest in what they're saying half-way through, your grammar in places leaves things to be desired and your format of conversation can be difficult to understand who is speaking. Speaking bluntly, (in the opinion of a person who doesn't particularly enjoy almost any of the tags on your novel) the only things that might attract a potential reader to your novel are the title and cover.

And yet apparently in those 20 hours, these people have seen your novel, decided by a single chapter and no further information that it's going to be an excellent novel and have decided to publish it.

Why on earth do you think that it might be legit?

Monk_Origins

Jesus! An author that joined yesterday gets scammed, but someone who has been on top of the weekly trending doesn't,,, I love messing with scammers...

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
So this morning I received a message from Webnovel Editors. They say they want to publish my story in webnovel
Here's a quick tip: editor groups NEVER go out and find stories to edit themselves.

Its always the writers that go to them, never the editors.

What if one day a guy who claims to represent the bank knocks on your door and offers to keep your money? Would you trust that guy?

D

Deleted member 29081

Aren't you able to just to sign up and publish the story yourself? Why are they acting like an authentic publishing company?

Webnovel has been contacting writers in Wattpad to publish on WN through non-exclusives. It's not impossible they also start to do so here, but I haven't heard of it and I haven't read OP's story.

Jemini

So this morning I received a message from Webnovel Editors. They say they want to publish my story in webnovel but I feel uneasy and I don't know what to respond. I don't know if it's legit or what. They also have a discord, facebook, whatsapp and instagram. Currently, I'm having fun here. The people's platform is so active and they really guided me and given their opinions yesterday regarding my story. So I'm really 50/50 about my story getting published on different platform.

Don't trust Webnovel. Their site has been known for scamming writers, and this is far from the first time they have done this.

My recommendation, do not go with any of their premium packages. However, DO post SOME of your stuff on their site just to keep someone else from plajerising you over there. They have been known for plajerism as well, and you have to do something to shut it down if you can.

In my case, I posted the 1st book of my series and only the 1st book. That was enough, and it also gave me the opportunity to direct readers from Webnovel over to here.

kira

QUOTE="jinxs2011, post: 77361, member: 55"]
You joined this site yesterday, and your novel has been up for about 20 hours. It has two chapters (one of which is the prologue and is very short), very few views, and no reviews. While it's too early to speak about plot, your paragraphs are big enough that I lose interest in what they're saying half-way through, your grammar in places leaves things to be desired and your format of conversation can be difficult to understand who is speaking. Speaking bluntly, (in the opinion of a person who doesn't particularly enjoy almost any of the tags on your novel) the only things that might attract a potential reader to your novel are the title and cover.

And yet apparently in those 20 hours, these people have seen your novel, decided by a single chapter and no further information that it's going to be an excellent novel and have decided to publish it.

[/QUOTE]
I think you are being really harsh but@SadTuna I will say I received an email like that and investigated. It was legit but when I researched webnovel imo authors get screwed by them. So if you want to make money I think using patreon is good. ( haha I can't stockpile chapters but I have seen many authors make $ there.

How can you be so cruel to someone with that adorable avi?:blob_shock: @SadTuna Tbh my novel is amateurish but I received an email apparently legit I checked. But Webnovel is a quagmire..best to use Patreon to make $ ( I see ppl make $ not me lol I can't stockpile haha)

kira

Aren't you able to just to sign up and publish the story yourself? Why are they acting like an authentic publishing company?
I'm not sure but if you are under contract w/ Webnovel- not recommended! you make $ when ppl send you gifts and only contracted authors have that opportunity...might need a fact check but I think that is the case. They also showcase your story to attract readers. But it is an indentured slave contract imo haha:blob_pat_sad:

SadTuna

Thank you for this reply. I actually joined this group to enhance my writing skills. So I hope you'll send me more advices. Ah. You can email me about things I need to improve. You seem to be a good reader and a strict one as that. Can you somehow point out in the chapters on what I need to change so that I can reread everything. Btw. The group is legit and they have discord. ☺️

Wah! Thanks for the replies. I just started writing yesterday and just really want to enhance my writing skills. I don't have any experiences writing before so this is all new to me. I hope you guys will continue to guide a newbie 💛

QUOTE="jinxs2011, post: 77361, member: 55"]

I think you are being really harsh but@SadTuna I will say I received an email like that and investigated. It was legit but when I researched webnovel imo authors get screwed by them. So if you want to make money I think using patreon is good. ( haha I can't stockpile chapters but I have seen many authors make $ there.

How can you be so cruel to someone with that adorable avi?:blob_shock: @SadTuna Tbh my novel is amateurish but I received an email apparently legit I checked. But Webnovel is a quagmire..best to use Patreon to make $ ( I see ppl make $ not me lol I can't stockpile haha)
[/QUOTE]
It's actually a legit site. I'm also new. I just started yesterday. So I'm really glad to receive comments and suggestions for my story 😂💛

I'm not sure but if you are under contract w/ Webnovel- not recommended! you make $ when ppl send you gifts and only contracted authors have that opportunity...might need a fact check but I think that is the case. They also showcase your story to attract readers. But it is an indentured slave contract imo haha:blob_pat_sad:
I see. So I'm gonna leave it as that. Thanks for this 💛

Jesus! An author that joined yesterday gets scammed, but someone who has been on top of the weekly trending doesn't,,, I love messing with scammers...
I know right. But they're actually a legit group. But I didn't join because I'm just new. Somehow they said that they'll help me with my writing and that they can teach me more about writing.

Here's a quick tip: editor groups NEVER go out and find stories to edit themselves.

Its always the writers that go to them, never the editors.

What if one day a guy who claims to represent the bank knocks on your door and offers to keep your money? Would you trust that guy?
But they are a legit group. They even have discord and already have 15k members. I didn't sign up tho. Cause I'm new and had a lot to learn. But I'm having second thoughts cause they said they can help me with my writing.

Don't trust Webnovel. Their site has been known for scamming writers, and this is far from the first time they have done this.

My recommendation, do not go with any of their premium packages. However, DO post SOME of your stuff on their site just to keep someone else from plajerising you over there. They have been known for plajerism as well, and you have to do something to shut it down if you can.

In my case, I posted the 1st book of my series and only the 1st book. That was enough, and it also gave me the opportunity to direct readers from Webnovel over to here.
Finally! You've been in that site so I trust you. Thank you for the advice ☺️☺️☺️

Oh same here!
But I declined :blob_evil_two: It's because I have some friends who published their novel in webnovel, their story had been copied by some writers, which is a nightmare for us(writer).
And they(my friends who experienced it) said the contract didn't really benefit the writer.
Well, it's now up to you! If you feel like it, just do it😁

SadTuna

Oh same here!
But I declined :blob_evil_two: It's because I have some friends who published their novel in webnovel, their story had been copied by some writers, which is a nightmare for us(writer).
And they(my friends who experienced it) said the contract didn't really benefit the writer.
Well, it's now up to you! If you feel like it, just do it😁
I pass. I believe people who have such experiences in it. So thanks really 💛💛☺️

Kaguro

I know they have a contract that basically forces you to write 1.5k words daily or something like that. Which is honestly a lot if you're just writing part time. I would avoid signing any of their premium author deals, briefly skimming through some of the terms it seems like you forfeit most of your ownership of the story when you sign that.

Not sure if there are any negatives to posting to their site for the non-contract versions. Seems like another potential income stream or source for viewership, but the whole thing looks kind of sketchy to me. Their contract thing kind of scares me and the site doesn't have a great reputation in the translation community to begin with.

Nanakawaichan

My advice
1. If you want to expand your reader and post your novel there, that's fine, but once you post your novel you will have a hard time deleting it because there is no delete features there. You have to edit the contents of your chapters one by one.
2.That platform's features is much worse than here. There is no italic, bold, underline, let alone uploading images.
3. The platform is intensively recruiting new writers and always says that they want to offer contracts but once you join, you actually have to meet certain conditions before getting it. But one for sure the contract cannot be obtained just by posting 2 chapters. At least you have to post every day with at least 1k -1.5k words, have lots of readers, lots of power stones before you get them. And if you take it you are not allowed to post the next chapter on another platform (it will appear as a locked chapter there). So it's still depend on your readers, are they want to buy it or not. Well in my Personal opinion I think it's not that different from using patreon cause it base on readers.
4.Their Discord in 5 minutes slowmode. Their conversation is dominated by top writers, and you only have a few opportunities to ask questions and talk. And newbie writers only have 1 channel to talk to. Which is dominated by the words "Hi, I'm from the A / B / C platform. I was contacted by the editor of this platform regarding the contract." and the other (blue writer) will say "Read the pin message.".Sometimes there are complaints from the writer being scam by one of the editors (At first, I doubted the complaint but it happened every 2-3 days so I started to be caution). For me, try to join this platform discord server. I get a lot of lessons from other authors on discord.
5. Their platform view isn't real count.
6.And yes, as soon as I posted there was a 3rd party website that posted my novel by copying and pasting everything there even including the announcement.

Last edited:

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
Thank you for this reply. I actually joined this group to enhance my writing skills. So I hope you'll send me more advices. Ah. You can email me about things I need to improve. You seem to be a good reader and a strict one as that. Can you somehow point out in the chapters on what I need to change so that I can reread everything. Btw. The group is legit and they have discord. ☺
I can't help you with stuff relating to your novel's genre, as I've never really written anything in that sort of genre, but I can give you some general writing advice and things you could improve. Keep in mind that I'm not exactly an expert, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Tenses are important, and easy to accidentally slip up in. Pick a tense and stick with it. You seem to be writing mostly in past tense, but here and there you have sentences in present tense.

Conversations. Although you sometimes do, you tend not to specify who is saying what, instead implicitly alternating the person speaking. This way is fine - if, and only if, there are only two people in the conversation. Once a third or fourth person enters the conversation, it'll become really difficult for a reader to keep track of who's saying what. I find personally, although I couldn't speak for other people, that it's much easier to follow if you put a simple "xxx said" at the start or end of the sentence. You can also use this to give extra meaning or inflection to what is being said. I use this list fairly often.

Repetition. I find that it sounds/looks much better if I avoid repeating words or phrases too often, particularly at the start of paragraphs. For instance, 'I missed you so much. I have a lot to tell you" I hugged her so tight.' Now, I'm not saying that it's some cardinal sin to repeat the starts of sentences/paragraphs - two in a row is not so bad, so long as it's not happening all the time. Above that, though (say three or four in a row), I shy away from doing unless I really have to. The example before I would recommend changing to something along the lines of, 'I missed you so much. I have a lot to tell you." Wrapping my arms around her, I hugged her tightly.' Strictly speaking it isn't much different, but it has a bit of a break in the middle of the repeating 'I's.

Repetition also ties into what I was mentioning about conversations. If every line in a conversation was to start with 'xxx said' or 'yyy said'? Not great. Try to switch it up between starting and ending with that, even putting it in the middle sometimes, e.g.
"This is some sample conversation." He said. "Nothing interesting here."
And don't just cycle between the three options, just use what feels best for each particular line or whatnot.

In terms of spelling, I didn't notice any problems. Grammar is pretty good too, just the occasional missed full stop - or in one case, an extra full stop. I also notice that you don't use commas very often, generally using lots of short sentences. There's nothing wrong with short sentences, but you want paragraphs to feel natural, to flow. In terms of speaking, a full stop is just that, a pause in speech, an end of the line. For example, this is how this paragraph will be read:

'I need to sort out everything [PAUSE] One thing for sure [PAUSE] As of this day, I'm 17 [PAUSE] Studying in St. Jeanne's School of Magic [PAUSE] Although it is entitled as school for magic, the school also have a system called 'The Knights' [PAUSE] Just like the system is called they taught students swordsmanship and magic [PAUSE] They apply magic to their swords unlike mages who use wands or staff or gems [PAUSE] Almost all the students under this system are guys [PAUSE] If you are talented enough and graduated in a university with a high distinction then you can gain advantage and title all to yourself and help the family name [PAUSE]'

It makes it sound like she has to stop and think to remember each detail individually, rather than as a cohesive whole. Basically, it makes it seem like she's slow. Mentally. Still, I'm not saying you should use as few full stops as possible or anything like that - that would make it seem like the character was extremely talkative and flits between topics like a verbal train rapidly switching tracks. If the character is actually like that, then there's no problem. But it's something to be aware of.

On another note, the whole part in your chapter where she's in the back garden thinking about things, I could understand none of that because it says at the start of that bit that she's thinking about the present, and it's all in present tense... It mentions that she is married to this person, but five minutes later she's asked if she's agreed to go out with him? Was she thinking about the past life after all? But in the middle she's thinking about school and advanced technology so it makes me think she's thinking of the present? That whole part confuses me massively.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
@kira

If you think that is a harsh review, than you are not ready to post publicly online. That was an extremely tame review citing problems in his/her story. You're not going to do well with your first negative review I think.

Last edited:

SadTuna

I can't help you with stuff relating to your novel's genre, as I've never really written anything in that sort of genre, but I can give you some general writing advice and things you could improve. Keep in mind that I'm not exactly an expert, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Tenses are important, and easy to accidentally slip up in. Pick a tense and stick with it. You seem to be writing mostly in past tense, but here and there you have sentences in present tense.

Conversations. Although you sometimes do, you tend not to specify who is saying what, instead implicitly alternating the person speaking. This way is fine - if, and only if, there are only two people in the conversation. Once a third or fourth person enters the conversation, it'll become really difficult for a reader to keep track of who's saying what. I find personally, although I couldn't speak for other people, that it's much easier to follow if you put a simple "xxx said" at the start or end of the sentence. You can also use this to give extra meaning or inflection to what is being said. I use this list fairly often.

Repetition. I find that it sounds/looks much better if I avoid repeating words or phrases too often, particularly at the start of paragraphs. For instance, 'I missed you so much. I have a lot to tell you" I hugged her so tight.' Now, I'm not saying that it's some cardinal sin to repeat the starts of sentences/paragraphs - two in a row is not so bad, so long as it's not happening all the time. Above that, though (say three or four in a row), I shy away from doing unless I really have to. The example before I would recommend changing to something along the lines of, 'I missed you so much. I have a lot to tell you." Wrapping my arms around her, I hugged her tightly.' Strictly speaking it isn't much different, but it has a bit of a break in the middle of the repeating 'I's.

Repetition also ties into what I was mentioning about conversations. If every line in a conversation was to start with 'xxx said' or 'yyy said'? Not great. Try to switch it up between starting and ending with that, even putting it in the middle sometimes, e.g.
"This is some sample conversation." He said. "Nothing interesting here."
And don't just cycle between the three options, just use what feels best for each particular line or whatnot.

In terms of spelling, I didn't notice any problems. Grammar is pretty good too, just the occasional missed full stop - or in one case, an extra full stop. I also notice that you don't use commas very often, generally using lots of short sentences. There's nothing wrong with short sentences, but you want paragraphs to feel natural, to flow. In terms of speaking, a full stop is just that, a pause in speech, an end of the line. For example, this is how this paragraph will be read:

'I need to sort out everything [PAUSE] One thing for sure [PAUSE] As of this day, I'm 17 [PAUSE] Studying in St. Jeanne's School of Magic [PAUSE] Although it is entitled as school for magic, the school also have a system called 'The Knights' [PAUSE] Just like the system is called they taught students swordsmanship and magic [PAUSE] They apply magic to their swords unlike mages who use wands or staff or gems [PAUSE] Almost all the students under this system are guys [PAUSE] If you are talented enough and graduated in a university with a high distinction then you can gain advantage and title all to yourself and help the family name [PAUSE]'

It makes it sound like she has to stop and think to remember each detail individually, rather than as a cohesive whole. Basically, it makes it seem like she's slow. Mentally. Still, I'm not saying you should use as few full stops as possible or anything like that - that would make it seem like the character was extremely talkative and flits between topics like a verbal train rapidly switching tracks. If the character is actually like that, then there's no problem. But it's something to be aware of.

On another note, the whole part in your chapter where she's in the back garden thinking about things, I could understand none of that because it says at the start of that bit that she's thinking about the present, and it's all in present tense... It mentions that she is married to this person, but five minutes later she's asked if she's agreed to go out with him? Was she thinking about the past life after all? But in the middle she's thinking about school and advanced technology so it makes me think she's thinking of the present? That whole part confuses me massively.
Thank you so much for all of this. Now I can revise my work!! 💛 I'm so glad I came to this site. I hope that you will help me with my story since I have a lot of mistakes. If you want, can you read my drafts before I post it? I also seek someone to read my drafts and he said okay but with two people giving me advices I think that I can actually improve ☺️💛

SadTuna

My advice
1. If you want to expand your reader and post your novel there, that's fine, but once you post your novel you will have a hard time deleting it because there is no delete features there. You have to edit the contents of your chapters one by one.
2.That platform's features is much worse than here. There is no italic, bold, underline, let alone uploading images.
3. The platform is intensively recruiting new writers and always says that they want to offer contracts but once you join, you actually have to meet certain conditions before getting it. But one for sure the contract cannot be obtained just by posting 2 chapters. At least you have to post every day with at least 1k -1.5k words, have lots of readers, lots of power stones before you get them. And if you take it you are not allowed to post the next chapter on another platform (it will appear as a locked chapter there). So it's still depend on your readers, are they want to buy it or not. Well in my Personal opinion I think it's not that different from using patreon cause it base on readers.
4.Their Discord in 5 minutes slowmode. Their conversation is dominated by top writers, and you only have a few opportunities to ask questions and talk. And newbie writers only have 1 channel to talk to. Which is dominated by the words "Hi, I'm from the A / B / C platform. I was contacted by the editor of this platform regarding the contract." and the other (blue writer) will say "Read the pin message.".Sometimes there are complaints from the writer being scam by one of the editors (At first, I doubted the complaint but it happened every 2-3 days so I started to be caution). For me, try to join this platform discord server. I get a lot of lessons from other authors on discord.
5. Their platform view isn't real count.
6.And yes, as soon as I posted there was a 3rd party website that posted my novel by copying and pasting everything there even including the announcement.
Thank you for your advice!!!

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠

Done that!