I'm curious which POV you guys enjoy the most as readers and writers

which POV you guys enjoy the most as readers and writers

• Total voters

Thief

I enjoy reading all povs!! As long as it's written properly!!!
As a writer, it's easier to write third pov but I like to write first pov

Jemini

Honestly, this poll is lacking in several areas and shows something of a lack of understanding of how POV should be used.

1st and 3rd person POV are the only viable options. 2nd POV only works in choose-your-own-adventure style stories, and it's a little tiresome and off-putting in any other format.

Mixing POVs should NEVER be done unless it's accompanied by a change in character POV. It is a viable option to have the MC's POV be 1st person, and side character POVs be in 3rd person, but that's the only time you should ever mix them. It's also an option to do both in 1st or both in 3rd. If you're going to mix them though, then only the MC should be 1st person and ALL of the side characters should be 3rd person (for the sake of consistency.)

There are also the omniscient and deep sub-categories that should be added, for a total of 4. There is also an in-between state called "limited omniscient" which increases it to 6. So, the actual list of options should look like this.

1st person deep
1st person limited omniscience
1st person omniscient
3rd person deep
3rd person limited omniscience
3rd person omniscient

(Of those 6, 1st person omniscient is not recommended and 1st person limited omniscient is difficult as well)

StrongArm

As the bad guy, I can confirm this is 100% correct.
real bad guys dont feel remorse.

anyhow, i like both 3rd person & 1st person (as long as the perspective of the guy in 1st person isnt a douche, which they often are)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Feel free to explain your opinions
i enjoy first person more cuz my main book's MC i just like so much, but i switched to third person because it just offers so much more freedom in terms of showing how characters react and feel in the moment in response to dialogue or events.
Honestly, this poll is lacking in several areas and shows something of a lack of understanding of how POV should be used.

1st and 3rd person POV are the only viable options. 2nd POV only works in choose-your-own-adventure style stories, and it's a little tiresome and off-putting in any other format.

Mixing POVs should NEVER be done unless it's accompanied by a change in character POV. It is a viable option to have the MC's POV be 1st person, and side character POVs be in 3rd person, but that's the only time you should ever mix them. It's also an option to do both in 1st or both in 3rd. If you're going to mix them though, then only the MC should be 1st person and ALL of the side characters should be 3rd person (for the sake of consistency.)

There are also the omniscient and deep sub-categories that should be added, for a total of 4. There is also an in-between state called "limited omniscient" which increases it to 6. So, the actual list of options should look like this.

1st person deep
1st person limited omniscience
1st person omniscient
3rd person deep
3rd person limited omniscience
3rd person omniscient

(Of those 6, 1st person omniscient is not recommended and 1st person limited omniscient is difficult as well)
I think of it in terms of 1st pov for immersion and 3rd for freedom.

All others get too complicated and you dont REALLY need the subcategories. They're good to know, but not really needed since most stories are for entertainment. Any statement the author wants to tell through their story coming secondary. Since no one really likes a story heavy into political views or some such thing unless the story itself is good and engaging.

Last edited:

OP1000

When reading a story, I mostly prefer stories that use the 3rd pov because they give me a better view of the world that the story is placed in. But I don't mind reading a story that uses the 1st pov more, as long as it is done well. I really don't like stories that use the 2nd pov, because they can be hard to follow at times where the protagonist is having a conversation with someone else.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
This has been thread before, but I'll answer.

It's more of a need for me. If I want to portray emotions and objectives of my characters, I go 1st Person POV.

If I want to focus on action, I go 3rd Person POV.

For short, a combination of 1st and 3rd person POVs.
Same

StainedGlassThreads

I have a special fondness for the first person. It makes it easier to both to dig into a character's emotions and thought process, and to turn them into unreliable narrators.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
This has been thread before, but I'll answer.

It's more of a need for me. If I want to portray emotions and objectives of my characters, I go 1st Person POV.

If I want to focus on action, I go 3rd Person POV.

For short, a combination of 1st and 3rd person POVs.

I couldn't said it better myself

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
3rd Person gives the most narrative flexibility. There is less chance of telling a bland story in 3rd. 1st Person is alluring to many authors because it is easier to create a connection with the narrator. This is both the strength and weakness of 1st person. A 1st Person narrative is a One Course Meal. And no matter the depth, it is primarily a singular note in concerns of connecting the reader to characters. That isn't to say there are not great and compelling 1st Person stories, there are hundreds of them. I'm trying to illustrate, that all things being equal, 3rd Person give more options for an author to use if they have the skill to use them.