I'm losing hope

Meeeeee

I've noticed a severe increase in harem-smut novels and it's annoying when they all have a common theme. A protagonist with a dumb think with your dick mind who has endless amounts of plot armor with pretty much the same plot. I can barely find any novels with a protagonist that's OP from the start that doesn't involve harems and smut or either an extremely dumb MC or an MC who has an ungodly amount of power restrictions.

SailusGebel

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
If the characters are not dumb, how are they going to make the harem? The percentage of chance to find a woman or man for reverse harem that are mentally capable of thinking who accept to share her/his partner are near the percentage of chance to find another planet like earth.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.

MAKE WAY, MAKE WAY, MY TIME HAS COME TO PROVIDE LINKS

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I've noticed a severe increase in harem-smut novels and it's annoying when they all have a common theme. A protagonist with a dumb think with your dick mind who has endless amounts of plot armor with pretty much the same plot. I can barely find any novels with a protagonist that's OP from the start that doesn't involve harems and smut or either an extremely dumb MC or an MC who has an ungodly amount of power restrictions.

MAKE WAY, MAKE WAY, MY TIME HAS COME TO PROVIDE LINKS

This, and not only this, but having harem with an OP MC is a reasonable conclusion if you think about it. OP MC is the writer's power fantasy, so naturally sexual power fantasy can come into play.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
:blob_neutral: Shameless self promotion. Try my stories. Click on links or banners.

Jerynboe

So… what is your point? I wrote a story like that, mostly on accident. Hell I’m still writing that story, though it should be done within a month or so. I’d like to think I went interesting places with it, but it is absolutely just a smutty story about a guy with an op cheat taking over the world with an ever expanding harem.

It was the first story I ever wrote, and I posted it for the sake of proving to myself that I could write something. I gave a guy who wasn’t excessively moral a power, decided how it worked, and had it consistently work the same way throughout. It was self indulgent and stupid and rambling, written from the seat of my pants and playing with anything I thought sounded like fun and seemed like it logically followed. I have no pretensions that it was anything great, but it got a modest audience and I’ve enjoyed talking to my readers (mostly not on scribblehub).

What *should* my first ever story that I posted online, done for practice and to get myself into the habit of writing have been about? I’ve started a second story, and I think I learned a lot, but I’m still learning and it’s probably still a bit crap. What’s the plan, chief?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Harems, unless the members are fighting each other make little sense.

Even less sense if the members are attractive unless society has oppressive laws for different classes of people.

In general, harems don’t work realistically in fiction unless it’s a socially forced situation with specific incentives, a poly… or the harem members are dumb along with a protagonist who doesn’t care for their feelings, or an over caring protagonist who has it forced on them.

Anyway, the OP was asking for non-smut non harem. So I don’t think they wanted this conversation in the first place.

Overpowered protagonists generally fit the power/self-insert fantasy. This harems are a natural part, even if the protagonist is completely oblivious.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Harems, unless the members are fighting each other make little sense.
I would disagree.

The conditions for a harem being successful are limited, true, but they do exist and make sense.

HKN and FTS, both in my sig file below, are OP MCs without harems.

Perhaps the problem is where you are looking.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I don't hate you. I don't think anyone here hates you. :blob_hmm_two:
I am a tooth-gnashing firebrand of myopic opinion. There are people wrong on the internet and it is my job to make sure they all know it. Of course I hate anon because he has disgusting bones and all you humans steadfastly refuse to get rid of them.

Is it so much to ask? It's such a small request. Just get rid of those horrible bones. Or at least make it an exoskeleton. It's just weird. Everyone is talking about it. People laugh at you behind your back. I'm just trying to help. I'd want someone to tell me if I was unknowingly a freak.

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
I didn't quite understand the question: would you like a story that is not harem/smut, or would you be fine with such a story if the protagonist weren't stupid?

ZukoMee

If the characters are not dumb, how are they going to make the harem? The percentage of chance to find a woman or man for reverse harem that are mentally capable of thinking who accept to share her/his partner are near the percentage of chance to find another planet like earth.
If you go by statistics....there are hundreds of thousands of planets with life like Earth. And that's just in the Milky Way Galaxy alone.