Writing Invisitext, Colored Text, Blue Box, Illustrations, Emojis, etc.

Which have you used in your own writing?

• Illustrations

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Kaomojis, Emojis, etc.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Lit-Rpg Box

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Colored Text

• Bold, Italics, Underline

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Strike-Through

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Different Font Sizes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Typeface Changes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zalgo/Cursed Text

• Character Accounts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Special Characters 【】<> ™

• 'Thought' quotes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • ALL CAPS

• Hyperlinks

• Spoiler Text

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Polls

• Accompanying Music

• Total voters

Cosmic

So, I wanted to have a discussion on the interesting use of things like Invisitext, Colored Text, Blue Box, Illustrations, Emojis, Modifiers, Punctuation, Font, etc. that add to the reading experience as well as add more tools to storytelling.

The biggest example of this, in my opinion, is the lit-RPG Status Text which can often be just bold or italicized text. It can also be the Blue Box, which is just a colored table that displays the lit-RPG text elements. It's often a standard blue or white box, but many authors change the color sometimes for different types of pop-ups like red for damage/hostile or have it be different for different people via the characters customizing it. I see this a lot in the Royal Road Community.

There's also the atypical illustrations, picture text, kaomojis, and emojis that can add to the story. Besides text message conversations, they can be used to better illustrate a character's thoughts and personality. For example, I read a lot of Quick Transmigration and kaomoji appear a lot such as _(:3」∠)_ to show the System or the quirkiness of the FMC. :blob_wink:

@Sinpathy's work comes to my mind especially when it comes to atypical illustrations/images like the status window in Re: Rabbit Eyes. The art style and illustrations (in general, but especially of the characters) are already great, but the added emojis in the text to symbolize icons of things like if it's a herb as well as the custom status screen adds so much to the reading experience. There's also the crop/zoom to certain parts of the status window like the health which really directs the reader's attention.

Another interesting one that I know is Invisitext which is invisible text or just camouflaged to the background text that is read via highlighting the text or via a plugin. Spacebattles, SufficientVelocity, and QuestionableQuesting are places that use this. Some hate it, some love it.
Hi, Invisitext here!
Still, it's an interesting way to hide then show text that tells something more mysterious, enigmatic, or magical. Maybe it's the true thoughts of the MC whose often an unreliable narrator or maybe it's to hide the actions and comments of otherworldly observers. Or maybe to highlight the eldritchness of a character such as Invisitext signifying it's inaudible soul language, a chantless spell, or reality warping.

You also have colored text. With This Ring by Mr. Zoat and other lantern fics comes to mind. Due to the strong theme of Laterns and their Emotional Color Spectrum, Colored Text is often used such as yellow for fear. When blue text appears, it can really uplift a reader due to its association with hope. It can also show a character's feelings and emotions to a specific area of a conversation without actually saying it like dialogue in indigo that show the character feeling compassion. In WTR,
only colored quotes signify a character being a paragon and linked with the embodiment of a color/emotion like "Paul."

Then there are characters and punctuation like 【Status】, [Spell], {Whisper Spell},『Artifact』, (Author Text), 'Thought', and "Speech" which help differentiate actions, thoughts, and speech and add flair.

There's also Zalgo text: T̶̲̰̗̮̦̼͕ò̱̠ ͓͇͕̞͚͕i̬̝̖̦̳̭͈ṇ̛v̥̲͙̲̺͈͕o͉͉̬k̴̫̖̞̺͍̳e̴͎̻̲̮͈ ̘t̸̯̝͉͎̝̣h͓̫͎͔e̕ ̟̯͇̣h͙̼̙̗̫ͅi̲̩v̻͔̗̮͕̞e̪̭̘̫̹͝ͅ-̵m̠į͙̰n̸̼ͅd̥̥̻͙͍͙͟ r̸̖e̲̘p̝r̼͔̫͠e͔̤s̰̪͔͔̺̕e̟̯̕n̵t̷̯͚̟̠̼̱̳i̵ng̳̪ c̷͕̲h̙͓̬͍̻a̙̦̲̪o̟͖̣͜ͅs͙̜.̸̮. This can really add to a story like when it relates to an eldritch being, a demon, curse, etc.

There are also traditional things like bolding, italics, underline, ALL CAPS, using different typefaces, or changing the font size. Additionally, there are things like Spoiler boxes, hyperlinks, and strike-throughs. Other tools include changing the alignment or lists.

There are also stories where code language is kept in to, well, show actual coding. There's also site features like polls, hearts, and comments which add to reader engagement and feedback. Some link music that's listen alongside reading. Some people even create accounts for their fictional characters to comment on chapters, give hints, etc. in a break the fourth wall manner.

Edit: So basically, I want to discuss some of the interesting uses and examples of these types of uses/tools/features you've encountered. Any that stand out? Any that you hope to see more of? Any that you use in your own writing? What are some ideas that you thought of that you'd like to see be implemented?

Last edited:

jimbobthethird

What is it you wanted to discuss about these features? Or is it just highlighting what's available to people? (only saying that cause I had no idea like ~1/3 features even existed until 5 seconds ago)

Cosmic

What is it you wanted to discuss about these features? Or is it just highlighting what's available to people? (only saying that cause I had no idea like ~1/3 features even existed until 5 seconds ago)
I want to highlight them as well as discuss examples of them that people have encountered. The best use and the worst. Maybe even find new ones. I want to discuss when these are a great addition to a story and if others use them in their own writing.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Then there are characters and punctuation like 【Status】, [Spell], {Whisper Spell},『Artifact』, (Author Text), 'Thought', and "Speech" which help differentiate actions, thoughts, and speech and add flair.

I use those (although you can't see it yet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) in my stories. Great for distinguishing speech and internal thoughts, then maybe incantations if there's magic or some skill activation. I don't think emojis and other similar things are fitting, but well perhaps not my style.

D

Deleted member 29316

I use illustrations to enhance the reader experience, the bold, italic, and underlines to put emphasis on the dialogue or thoughts, ALL CAPS whenever there's an intense feeling I'd like to get from the readers, and also, ellipsis (...) when I want to show that the character was dumbfounded, or just plain unresponsive.

I get called out about it (especially the ALL CAPS since it means I'm shouting at the reader) but yeah, it's my style.

jimbobthethird

If you have changing POVs, it can get kind of confusing to distinguish between narration, thoughts and dialogue. As the story I’m currently working on (Don’t mind the shameless plug lol) has a lot of that going on, I use bold for speech, italics for thoughts, CAPS for onomatopoeia and plain text for narration. I’d also recommend making use of the footnote feature, it’s super underrated. I’d recommend it if you have a lot of made-up words or if you want to add some background detail for world building purposes. It’s also a good way to get comedy in, by saying something like “Oh yeah, I’m having a great time[footnote] he was, in fact, not having a great time [footnote end]” that sort of thing. (For whatever reason, the forum doesn’t have footnotes, but you get the idea)

amethystore

In my clone account, I write Card Cultivator, and Villain as a Friend but I deleted the latter. Honestly, editing and changing the formatting of the text is kind of hassles for me. In CC I change the color to identify the Card Color, and there was also a table and some kind happening there. But it brings too much trouble for me who has to change it every time I copy the draft into SH.

That's why in my new stories, I didn't even use those. Perhaps, some special characters like "◊ ◊ ◊" to divide part in one chapter. I didn't use three horizontal dashes "---", because it will change into an actual horizontal dash in the app I use. Ah, I also took some time to make a floor plan of some sort in this story.
||─╔════════╗───╔═════════╗───╔════════╗─||
||─║────────║───║─────────║───║────────║─||
||─║───╔════╝───╚═════════╝───╚════╗───║─||
||─║───║─╔═══════════════════════╗─║───║─||
||─║───║─║───────────────────────║─║───║─||
||─║───║─║────╔═════════════╗────║─║───║─||
||─║───║─║────║─────────────║────║─║───║─||
||─╚═══╝─║────╚═════════════╝────║─╚═══╝─||
||─╔═════╝───────────────────────╚═════╗─||
||─║───────────────────────────────────║─||
||─╚════════════╗─────────╔════════════╝─||
||──────────────╚═════════╝──────────────||
/// I really suck at this

I don't use other formattings anymore. Even I don't use the frickin tables to display the status window, and just do with a block of something like this.

—◊—

Hilda ◊ [Human | ♀ | 16]
Level: 6
Class: [Commoner]
HP: 16/16
MP: 10/10
Stats: [STR 4] [VIT 8] [INT 9] [MND 9] [AGL 5] [DEX 13]
Skill: [Linguistic 5] [Cleaning 2] [Cooking 1] [Painting 2]

—◊—

Though it's indeed engaging and fun to read. As a writer(and the one who done that unnecessary trouble), I don't quite like it. The process, I mean. Maybe, I'm just too lazy for it.

Last edited:

Sinpathy

The existence of dark and light mode makes colored text a challenge to implement. That is why I always give a disclaimer to read in dark mode at the start of my novel. Dark contrasts well with any color, and goes well with the eyes for prolonged reading. Hence the general favouritism towards dark mode.

Personally I like the corrupted Zalgo text the most. When the words literally pop out of their pre-established lines, it creates a very... immersive experience for the reader.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I use those (although you can't see it yet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) in my stories. Great for distinguishing speech and internal thoughts, then maybe incantations if there's magic or some skill activation. I don't think emojis and other similar things are fitting, but well perhaps not my style.

After this, I literally used kamojis in my recent chapter (in a web message one char sent to another). How the turns have tabled.