Is it just me, or has the general quality of stories here increased?

TotallyHuman

Admittedly, I'm not the most avid reader of this site, but I feel like nowadays it's much easier to find novels that the authors have planned out, that are written consistently and are written with fewer grammatical mistakes now than it was, say a year or two ago on this site and on RRL.

Lorelliad

creating magic in a magic-less world 🪄
Maybe it's just me but grammatical errors are still frequent. I make a lot of mistakes too, so I just ignore it and focus on the plot if it's worth reading.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It is called experience at work, if you write, revise and learn, you should see a gradual increase in your work.

It also helps that here, there are many helpful people willing to help aspiring writers on their literature quests.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I don't make grammatical errors. But there may be one exception somewhere.

Jemini

Admittedly, I'm not the most avid reader of this site, but I feel like nowadays it's much easier to find novels that the authors have planned out, that are written consistently and are written with fewer grammatical mistakes now than it was, say a year or two ago on this site and on RRL.

I've noticed works that were of abysmal quality popping up every single bit as frequently as the old days. I think what you're noticing might be a matter of scale. Say, maybe 5% of the works on this site are of actual high quality. Back when this site had only around 500 works, that would mean there were 25 good titles. Now, there are at least a couple thousand titles here, most likely more. That means there are over 100 that are good titles.

The % proportion of good titles hasn't changed, but the good ones tend to rise to the top of ratings charts and that chart is now featuring a growing list of actual good titles.

TotallyHuman

I've noticed works that were of abysmal quality popping up every single bit as frequently as the old days. I think what you're noticing might be a matter of scale. Say, maybe 5% of the works on this site are of actual high quality. Back when this site had only around 500 works, that would mean there were 25 good titles. Now, there are at least a couple thousand titles here, most likely more. That means there are over 100 that are good titles.

The % proportion of good titles hasn't changed, but the good ones tend to rise to the top of ratings charts and that chart is now featuring a growing list of actual good titles.
I don't know. By that logic, the probability of me finding a good novel out of several would still be the same. Which it feels like it isn't. Maybe it's just me being lucky, or some kind of selection bias at work.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
You can always find a good novel if you look at my signature.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I don't know. By that logic, the probability of me finding a good novel out of several would still be the same. Which it feels like it isn't. Maybe it's just me being lucky, or some kind of selection bias at work.
Well I mean what constitutes a "good" novel are entirely subjective. There are standards, but on an individual basis it changes from person to person. The standards matter fuck all in actuality, its jut something that shows what kinds of stories seem to appeal to a larger group of people. Not everyone.

Jemini

Again, it's the chart toppers. The good ones are going to be chart toppers, and the top of the chart is getting larger because the absolute numbers of good series is getting larger even if the % is staying the same.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Nah, if I look at latest updates the general quality is similar to last year. Heck, might be worse. I do notice the trending seems to be presenting better quality works based on the first few chapters at least.

TotallyHuman

Well I mean what constitutes a "good" novel are entirely subjective. There are standards, but on an individual basis it changes from person to person. The standards matter fuck all in actuality, its jut something that shows what kinds of stories seem to appeal to a larger group of people. Not everyone.
Here's what I mean by good
nowadays it's much easier to find novels that the authors have planned out, that are written consistently and are written with fewer grammatical mistakes

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Statistically, there are a lot more good novels because now there are a lot more novels. Though for people who have been here a while, their stories have greatly improved along with their writing. It's mainly due to experience, practice, and Grammarly now being used by practically everyone on the site. I know for a fact that my main story started off as absolute shit. However, many of the people who read along despite that were messaging me later on that they could see my quality getting a lot better. That's also why I'm slowly rewriting it.

Noldere

Quality of grammar, maybe.

Quality of stories, probably not.

At least, I'm having trouble finding things worth reading where I didn't a year or two ago.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Quality of grammar, maybe.

Quality of stories, probably not.

At least, I'm having trouble finding things worth reading where I didn't a year or two ago.
That's probably because you have gained a higher standard in the past year or two.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
:blob_aww: I always strive to get better. So I know there are others out there like me, too.

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Being an educated adult that majored in English during University helps.