Is It Normal to Hate Math When You’re an Aspiring Programmer?

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I just finished graduating high school and am currently applying for a Computer Science bachelor's degree, but I hate the fact that you have to also seriously study math. I know how to program Python, even if it's just the basics of the basics. I can do basic calculations of math and also simple formulas. But when complex math formulas come into the picture, my brain just shuts down and refuses to solve them. It's even worse with physics and chemistry, when I need to solve the formulas, my stress levels just go up and my head hurts. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I can't do math, it's just that I fucking hate solving the complex formulas.

This is probably the reason why I suck at math tests and am good at studying it in class. Maybe I'm too lazy or something, but it feels like I'm not the only one experiencing it.
Math is important for many forms of programming. For example, without knowing math it is kind of hard to work with gui transformations, gaming , robotics and other things. But not all programming is math heavy. If your aiming for say a web programmer or making non-gaming apps. Math isn't that necessary (well at least beyond basic math)

megu3

Not a professional programmer/coder/engineer/CS graduate/whatever, but
Not all kinds of programming involve math. Sure, there is computer graphics, low level stuff C and other shit but that's not all there is. Think about mobile app development, front-end, back-end... and they're well-paid jobs too. So, you can be a programmer even if you avoid math.

RaidenInfinity

One who draws catgirls
CS graduate here with multimedia specialization (is doing postgrad, which is another can of worms).

The reason you suck at math tests is probably because high school exams are hard-wired to fuck you over a million times. Speaking from experience, I remember my pre-U (high school) exams were like, the heck is even the question talking about? And then university exams have straight-forward questions. Though for my case, university maths subjects was easier than high school maths (additional/pure maths). For example, calculus didn't involve trigonometric functions...

About if you need maths for programming... Well, I do graphics-related stuff so I can tell that it involves a lot of maths. Coordinate geometry and matrix transformations especially. But then there's calculators/equation solvers like wolfram alpha and desmos so I don't think you'll have problems with maths in practical scenarios.

Last edited: