Writing Is it okay to make a Xianxia-styled novel with all main characters name English ?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
No, no, the ones that started writing xianxia with western names were the chinese themselves. There are plenty stories (coiling dragon included) like that.
The more common ones that do it are the ones focusing on a medieval europe-like setting or have elements from other countries/cultures.
Tales of the Reincarnated Lord
kingdom's Bloodline
Cohen of the Rebellion
Hail the King
That’s not Xianxia anymore but Xuanhuan.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
It's fine using them
BUT ONLY FOR NOW

Qing Dynasty will rise again. Just wait you westerns baby boi >:(

Queenfisher

Bird?
Why do irritating people like you insist in finding racism in everything? Why is such filth like you even allowed to exist in forums? People like you are the fucking racists!! Fuck off. If he wants the names to be Egyptian or Ancient Greek...again, fuck off and let him you racist.

I hope you never have kids. It would just be another reminder that we are doomed as a steadily declining species.

Sorry to butt into the thread like this, but -- man, can you chill, please?

She just stated an opinion in the thread that asked for opinions. Then you stated yours, which is perfectly legit -- but you are also being rude on top of it. Ugh.

It's just so fucking unpleasant to read.

____

To the OP: I don't care. I doubt most people care. The thing is -- depends on the novel. If you take pride in research and deeper connections, immersion and all that -- go with Chinese. But you wouldn't be asking in this thread if you did.

So it's easy to assume you are not going for a historically-influenced, super-atmospheric, researched xianxia. In this case, do whatever you want. :blobtaco: Like @Milk.Milkan said above -- if you are going to do it wrong anyway (you've made this thread clearly because you're afraid you are going to mess it up) -- then go with your heart! :blob_reach:

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Sorry to butt into the thread like this, but -- man, can you chill, please?

She just stated an opinion in the thread that asked for opinions. Then you stated yours, which is perfectly legit -- but you are also being rude on top of it. Ugh.

It's just so fucking unpleasant to read.

____

To the OP: I don't care. I doubt most people care. The thing is -- depends on the novel. I you take pride in research and deeper connections, immersion and all that -- go with Chinese. But you wouldn't be asking in this thread if you did.

So it's easy to assume you are not going for a historically-influenced, super-atmospheric, researched xianxia. In this case, do whatever you want. :blobtaco: Like @Milk.Milkan said above -- if you are going to do it wrong anyway (you've made this thread clearly because you're afraid you are going to mess it up) -- then go with your heart! :blob_reach:
Sure, I was rude. And I apologize for that, not to tigerine because I still find her a pest. Not to you either because you can piss off as well. But to the others who I might have inconvenienced.

Last edited:

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Since people have pulled this thread up again I'll add my two cents: I think there is no wrong way of how to shape your story as long as it's consistent in itself. So if you want to give characters English names because you prefer it that way, that's okay. It would likely start becoming strange if you only did that for characters though and not for, let's say, the places, objects, levels, or whatever else you need a term for. But I guess you'd want to do this anyway if you don't like Chinese names.

Now, as this thread shows very well, whether people will like the way you've done this is another matter altogether and mostly comes down to personal preference. Familiarity with a language might also play a role in this.
Personally, I actually enjoy reading stories with Chinese names. To me, it adds to the atmosphere and I've never really found them hard to remember. I do, however, know at least a bit of Chinese so maybe this is the reason why they don't seem as difficult to me. Even before that, I was watching a ton of Chinese series and movies so I had a good guess how each name was to be pronounced in a novel. Somebody who hasn't come into much contact with the names or the language might have a harder time.
Point in case: I have a much bigger problem with Korean and Japanese names because I don't know how to read the former (but I am aware of the fact that they are seldom pronounced as they are written in English so I know I'd be fucking them up) while I find the latter harder to remember because of the length. Like, in Chinese, you can get away with one syllable oftentimes (generally two or three depending on the setting, maybe four in some very odd cases) while the Japanese names often seem to have four or five and can also be quite similar. Like, I've seen names that differ by one syllable only I think?

So overall, I would rather pick up a novel with Chinese names than with Korean or Japanese ones (because I have an easier time with them), and yes, I also prefer the Chinese names over English ones (because of how they are part of the beauty of the story for me - this also means that this point is naught if the setting has more of a non-Chinese feel, btw). If the story sounds nice enough though, a name in a different language would only be an initial hindrance. I'd likely make up a way to read the name if I didn't know the right pronunciation and get used to it. So as long as the rest of the story is appealing enough, the names of the characters don't matter much.
For other readers, it might be exactly the other way around. So there really is no way to go wrong because there will always be some readers at least that prefer the way you do it, some that simply don't care, and some that are willing to ignore the names even if they aren't to their preference. There will only be a small group that is so much against a certain way of naming characters that they'd not read the story at all.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Since people have pulled this thread up again I'll add my two cents: I think there is no wrong way of how to shape your story as long as it's consistent in itself. So if you want to give characters English names because you prefer it that way, that's okay. It would likely start becoming strange if you only did that for characters though and not for, let's say, the places, objects, levels, or whatever else you need a term for. But I guess you'd want to do this anyway if you don't like Chinese names.

Now, as this thread shows very well, whether people will like the way you've done this is another matter altogether and mostly comes down to personal preference. Familiarity with a language might also play a role in this.
Personally, I actually enjoy reading stories with Chinese names. To me, it adds to the atmosphere and I've never really found them hard to remember. I do, however, know at least a bit of Chinese so maybe this is the reason why they don't seem as difficult to me. Even before that, I was watching a ton of Chinese series and movies so I had a good guess how each name was to be pronounced in a novel. Somebody who hasn't come into much contact with the names or the language might have a harder time.
Point in case: I have a much bigger problem with Korean and Japanese names because I don't know how to read the former (but I am aware of the fact that they are seldom pronounced as they are written in English so I know I'd be fucking them up) while I find the latter harder to remember because of the length. Like, in Chinese, you can get away with one syllable oftentimes (generally two or three depending on the setting, maybe four in some very odd cases) while the Japanese names often seem to have four or five and can also be quite similar. Like, I've seen names that differ by one syllable only I think?

So overall, I would rather pick up a novel with Chinese names than with Korean or Japanese ones (because I have an easier time with them), and yes, I also prefer the Chinese names over English ones (because of how they are part of the beauty of the story for me - this also means that this point is naught if the setting has more of a non-Chinese feel, btw). If the story sounds nice enough though, a name in a different language would only be an initial hindrance. I'd likely make up a way to read the name if I didn't know the right pronunciation and get used to it. So as long as the rest of the story is appealing enough, the names of the characters don't matter much.
For other readers, it might be exactly the other way around. So there really is no way to go wrong because there will always be some readers at least that prefer the way you do it, some that simply don't care, and some that are willing to ignore the names even if they aren't to their preference. There will only be a small group that is so much against a certain way of naming characters that they'd not read the story at all.

You have difficulties with Japanese or Korean? :oops: Actually, I never realized that some people might and I was always surprised when in my book, people keep butchering the Japanese names so much :blob_hmm_two:. I have always considered them to be super easy because of their syllabic system. Then again, I consider Chinese names easy to remember and use as well... I might be an outlier.

But I do remember feeling a bit weird when reading The Reader and the Protagonist and the sudden "Princess Stacy" appearing which sounded off to me like "a proud elf warrior Bob" would, :blobrofl:.

Also, suddenly, I realize that growing up in my country is such a privilege when you need to memorize character names.

I've never had this problem whatsoever, in any language +_+. :blob_hmm:

Because --
Prince Andrei Nikolayevich Bolkonsky.
Andrei.
Andre.
Andryusha.
Andreika.
Dron.
Drukha.
Nikolaich.
Bolkonsky.
Andrei Bolkonsky.
Prince Andrei.
Prince Bolkonsky.

And that's just one person ^^. Now do it for every other of the 100 characters in War and Peace and you get the idea ^^. Wouldn't it be fun if Russian xianxia existed and all people who wanted to research it had to write like this for every character? :blobrofl:

yansusustories

You have difficulties with Japanese or Korean?
Very much so, yes. I don't know much about either language, tbh.

My main problem with Japanese is probably that I don't know where to put the stress and that I mix up syllables. Like, let's say a name has four or five syllables, then I am very likely to switch the fourth one with either the third or fifth. I might even occasionally switch the second syllable with another one. I don't know, they just seem incredibly unfamiliar to me. Of course, there are shorter Japanese names and I have much less of a problem with those because there's not much to switch.

On the other hand, I know (and have heard) even less Korean. I think that they would generally be easier for me because they are shorter than Japanese ones but I just don't know about the pronunciation and I'm kind of too lazy to put effort into researching that just to read a book. It doesn't help that I hated most Korean series I've tried to watch so I can't get much input there either. Like, between the names "So", "Soo", "Sook", "Suck", and "Suk", where are the differences? If you have "Chin-Hae" and "Chin-Hwa" do you pronounce that like with English letters? And in names like "Eun-Kyung", "Hyun-Ok", and Seung", are they several syllables? Like, is it E-Un with two syllables and Ky-ung with two syllables or is it some kinda Iun-sound? I just don't know.
Honestly, I've thought about learning a bit Korean but I have more than enough going on in my life right now so this just isn't a priority and I'd likely not even think more about it for the next two years or so.

Also, suddenly, I realize that growing up in my country is such a privilege when you need to memorize character names.
The funny thing is that I don't have this problem in other languages either. Give me English, German, or yes, even Russian names, and I don't have a problem remembering any of the characters' names. You can give them three different identities if you want to, different titles in that language on top, and then some pet names, and I'll be doing okay. In Japanese or Korean though? Nah. I'll even forget about the main character sometimes :blob_sweat:

Queenfisher

Bird?
Very much so, yes. I don't know much about either language, tbh.

My main problem with Japanese is probably that I don't know where to put the stress and that I mix up syllables. Like, let's say a name has four or five syllables, then I am very likely to switch the fourth one with either the third or fifth. I might even occasionally switch the second syllable with another one. I don't know, they just seem incredibly unfamiliar to me. Of course, there are shorter Japanese names and I have much less of a problem with those because there's not much to switch.

Japanese is super easy. Just do not stress it at all and you'll be fine ^^. In regards to mixing up syllables, I have no idea. I never had this issue so it's very bizarre to me that so many people do that to my characters (they have long, historical names). I always thought they were just not paying attention but turns out -- it's an actual thing to mix up Japanese syllables! :blob_blank:

Frankly, a bit of a relief ^^.

On the other hand, I know (and have heard) even less Korean. I think that they would generally be easier for me because they are shorter than Japanese ones but I just don't know about the pronunciation and I'm kind of too lazy to put effort into researching that just to read a book. It doesn't help that I hated most Korean series I've tried to watch so I can't get much input there either. Like, between the names "So", "Soo", "Sook", "Suck", and "Suk", where are the differences? If you have "Chin-Hae" and "Chin-Hwa" do you pronounce that like with English letters? And in names like "Eun-Kyung", "Hyun-Ok", and Seung", are they several syllables? Like, is it E-Un with two syllables and Ky-ung with two syllables or is it some kinda Iun-sound? I just don't know.
Honestly, I've thought about learning a bit Korean but I have more than enough going on in my life right now so this just isn't a priority and I'd likely not even think more about it for the next two years or so.

Not sure about Suck (is it like how double kk is represented?) but all the other ones seem fairly simple, too.

So -- So (like in English);
Soo -- long u or long o depending on a particular method of translating;
Sook -- same, but generally, a double "oo" = long "u", I think?;
Suk -- short "u".

Diphthongs are weirder with all those "eu", "oe", "eo", etc -- but they are diphthongs. They are samish in all languages. Neither one syllable, nor two. Just leaning more to one syllable, but if it helps you to pronounce them as two, you can do that as well.

I feel like most language diphthongs are similar to how we Anglicize German "oe" sometimes. It's not really two syllables, but if it helps with someone's pronunciation -- go nuts ^^. Or Latin "ae" and other diphthongs. Some Latin researchers are taught to say "e", some, like myself taught to say it "ai".

Nobody would kick you if you mistook it for the ease of remembering while reading :blob_hug:.

yansusustories

Nobody would kick you if you mistook it for the ease of remembering while reading
Yeah, I think so too but if I can have my 'easy' Chinese names, I'd still rather take those so I can be lazy and don't have to think :blob_melt:

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
Wouldn't it be fun if Russian xianxia existed and all people who wanted to research it had to write like this for every character? :blobrofl:
Me can try but me still no dat much fun of xianxia and my skillz surely not enough to even be a quarter of Dostoevsky's level :D

Queenfisher

Bird?
Me can try but me still no dat much fun of xianxia and my skillz surely not enough to even be a quarter of Dostoevsky's level :D

*is very intrigued about the end result*

What would they fly on top of if not swords? Hammers and sickles? -__- And instead of pills, would use vodka cultivation boosts? :blob_blank:

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
What would they fly on top of if not swords? Hammers and sickles? -__- And instead of pills, would use vodka cultivation boosts? :blob_blank:
Well dats more of a Soviet stereotype jokes.

For flying eeh, swords will also do. But also a flying stove will do nice and dere s actually tons of fantasy shit and old myths dat can create a fun cultivation world with a russian and slavic mythology overall.

Maybe dere is actually something like dat written if me search some russian sites with novels buut too lazy.

As for pills eeh, vodka is just a slightly hot water, isnt it? But some special filling for pirozhki might do da job.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Well dats more of a Soviet stereotype jokes.

For flying eeh, swords will also do. But also a flying stove will do nice and dere s actually tons of fantasy shit and old myths dat can create a fun cultivation world with a russian and slavic mythology overall.

Maybe dere is actually something like dat written if me search some russian sites with novels buut too lazy.

As for pills eeh, vodka is just a slightly hot water, isnt it? But some special filling for pirozhki might do da job.

^^ I'll tell you a secret -- my first idea to write on this site was actually 19th Century Russia Cultivation story ^^. But then I got distracted with the local contest, so I began a different one (legendary Japan) and am still writing it.

But I still plan to do that Russian xianxia one day :blob_aww: . Their "cultivation" would be based on folklore a lot and would do more firearms than swords.

Although pirozhki would also be featured. As well as a self-driving stove ^^. Obviously.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
^^ I'll tell you a secret -- my first idea to write on this site was actually 19th Century Russia Cultivation story ^^. But then I got distracted with the local contest, so I began a different one (legendary Japan) and am still writing it.

But I still plan to do that Russian xianxia one day :blob_aww: . Their "cultivation" would be based on folklore a lot and would do more firearms than swords.

Although pirozhki would also be featured. As well as a self-driving stove ^^. Obviously.
Sounds fun eeh?

U may poke me if ya do. I may read it if conditions will be met, heh.