Isn't that a bit weird?

Mortrexo

I send my thanks through a private message if anything. But, being appreciative if someone leaves a good review should not be considered off-putting. It should be something wholesome because it shows that the author cares.

I send my thanks through a private message if anything. But, being appreciative if someone leaves a good review should not be considered off-putting. It should be something wholesome because it shows that the author cares.
No review given. You can see your recent readers. I clicked them out of curiosity and found a lot of authors thanking for the read.

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
Kinda, but also kinda not. I definitely get what you mean, though.

If I've not made any attempt to interact (likes and adding to the list don't count), and especially if I've only read a few chapters, thanking me on the profile would be incredibly unappreciated. I've not done anything; I may not be amused and may not ever read it. Because the moment they do so, they aren't just faceless authors on the internet anymore. A connection has been established. It makes me feel unnecessarily obligated and have to act polite, putting aside my actual thoughts. I'd feel guilty if I don't.

Otherwise, it is a wholesome thing.

Kinda, but also kinda not. I definitely get what you mean, though.

If I've not made any attempt to interact (likes and adding to the list don't count), and especially if I've only read a few chapters, thanking me on the profile would be incredibly unappreciated. I've not done anything; I may not be amused and may not ever read it. Because the moment they do so, they aren't just faceless authors on the internet anymore. A connection has been established. It makes me feel unnecessarily obligated and have to act polite, putting aside my actual thoughts. I'd feel guilty if I don't.

Otherwise, it is a wholesome thing.

That's exactly what I think. Also, isn't it kinda putting pressure for them to continue reading, like, "remember me? You liked my story, right? Come on and continue reading it."

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
That's exactly what I think. Also, isn't it kinda putting pressure for them to continue reading, like, "remember me? You liked my story, right? Come on and continue reading it."
The weird feeling probably comes from the inequality of the exchange. For the reader, it is just another story among the many, while authors write for the readers to read their stories.

laccoff_mawning

You mean, you don't all look through your statistics page, note every reader that ever read one of your chapters, follow every single one of them, then spam them with messages on why they aren't reading your latest chapters?

Personally, I like to use the statistics page to find out where they live so I can physically visit my readers when I thank them 😀

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
I've seen that authors go to their readers' profiles and comment their thanks and what not. Isn't that weird and off putting?
It depend of the context, but for me its kinda like stalking them and can cringe a lot of readers. I did it one time because I forget to said thanks in the comment section.

OP1000

I've seen that authors go to their readers' profiles and comment their thanks and what not. Isn't that weird and off putting?
I do not see a problem with it as long as the author is only thanking their reader. But if it is anything else, then yes it would be weird for an author to comment on the profile page of their reader(s).

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)
For my AO3 chapters, I write a quick thank you under each chapter. I wish my readers something along the lines of pleasant dreams, since I update late in the evening in my time zone. For my SH stories, I don't bother anymore. The readers for my stories on AO3 may be fewer, but they are more generous with the hearts.

I love hearts.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
There was two instances I does this, because their name + profile pic stood out and whenever I checked Statistics I would see their name.
I still remember there was this one person... Spider something with a green + black profile pic of a spider and he started reading my novel 1/20 chapter, then I check back tomorrow, he's at 3/20, then 5/10 and so on so on and I got intrigued following his journey