I've accidentally become a ghost story.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
At the overnight camp that I work and live at, I go for long walks at night and enjoy stargazing. I've done this every night since I started working here and never brought it up with my boss or my coworkers because I never had a reason to. For the past month, they have started to tell this story to campers about a humanoid creature who wanders around the camp at night and emerges from the river (which is where I usually go to stargaze.) I eventually put two and two together and asked my coworkers where the story came from. Turns out that a coworker has gone for walks at night just like myself and saw me in the distance. However, they never recognized it as me, and 'the creature' would disappear before they had a chance to see what it was. I feel like I should tell them but I also think that the whole scenario is hilarious and don't want to ruin the fun. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
At the overnight camp that I work and live at, I go for long walks at night and enjoy stargazing. I've done this every night since I started working here and never brought it up with my boss or my coworkers because I never had a reason to. For the past month, they have started to tell this story to campers about a humanoid creature who wanders around the camp at night and emerges from the river (which is where I usually go to stargaze.) I eventually put two and two together and asked my coworkers where the story came from. Turns out that a coworker has gone for walks at night just like myself and saw me in the distance. However, they never recognized it as me, and 'the creature' would disappear before they had a chance to see what it was. I feel like I should tell them but I also think that the whole scenario is hilarious and don't want to ruin the fun. Any thoughts on what I should do?
Makes it more interesting and be the ghost. Spook them some more just for shit and giggles before telling them the truth.

Paul_Tromba

sounds like a horror story, with campers being main characters and you being serial killer local boogeyman

So I guess it's time to get a mask and a cleaver
I don't think that would be a good idea.
Bind a flashlight to your forehead and put a cowbell on your neck.
I am not that desperate to die.
Makes it more interesting and be the ghost. Spook them some more just for shit and giggles before telling them the truth.
Maybe over the summer, I'll scare some campers.

TotallyHuman

Have them chase you around the camp while you wear a mask, and when they catch and unmask you, say: "and I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Keep it going, keep silent, and add to the urban legend.

Kids need a new Mothman and stuff like that. You can make some of the old and new campers have a fun experience.
Also, don't make it into another Bigfoot story. Say it is some type of weird, semi-aquatic almost alien-like creature or something original like that.

Echimera

Try to get a steady supply of dry ice, water and some lights and create a bunch of spooky glowing fog around the place.

Paul_Tromba

Have them chase you around the camp while you wear a mask, and when they catch and unmask you, say: "and I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"
Maybe if it escalates enough.
Try to get a steady supply of dry ice, water and some lights and create a bunch of spooky glowing fog around the place.
Alright, just like in Scooby-Doo where are you where they went to Louisiana. I also know how to do those weird mirror effects to make it look like a ghost wandering around.
Keep it going, keep silent, and add to the urban legend.

Kids need a new Mothman and stuff like that. You can make some of the old and new campers have a fun experience.
Also, don't make it into another Bigfoot story. Say it is some type of weird, semi-aquatic almost alien-like creature or something original like that.
It would be interesting to see what kind of legend it turns into.

Amok

grblbrbl
Smear lumescant goo on tree trunks and rocks. Create a mold, use it to imprint web toed footprints in the river bed. Steadily increase amount of prints and vary sizes to suggest younger fishfolk. Hang bizarre totems of fishbone and crab shell from branches. Go Lovecraftian on their asses, all the while acting as confused as they.

Paul_Tromba

Smear lumescant goo on tree trunks and rocks. Create a mold, use it to imprint web toed footprints in the river bed. Steadily increase amount of prints and vary sizes to suggest younger fishfolk. Hang bizarre totems of fishbone and crab shell from branches. Go Lovecraftian on their asses, all the while acting as confused as they.
This is brilliant.

Paul_Tromba

moan or scream next time and see how they react
Then I'll run and dive into the river before emerging where they cannot see me.

Not gonna lie. This thread has turned from how do I deal with this situation into a scooby-doo or supernatural episode.

Then I'll run and dive into the river before emerging where they cannot see me.

Not gonna lie. This thread has turned from how do I deal with this situation into a scooby-doo or supernatural episode.
you can also try calling your boss or one of your coworkers' name

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Make a horror story out of it in Scribblehub
You should also let it keep going until after awhile and them tell them that the "creature" is you

Paul_Tromba

yeah you don't say it literally. for example if he's called john, moan out "joooo"
tbh if i were in a similar situation (from where I'm from) and did this, someone might get hysterical
I'm in a rather small town. If a reputable person says something then half the town will go along with it and the story would spread like wildfire. It's also why I never go to a hospital in or around small towns as no amount of HIPPA laws will keep your matters private when the nurses start gossiping.
Make a horror story out of it in Scribblehub
You should also let it keep going until after awhile and them tell them that the "creature" is you
Maybe. Though I'm not good with horror stories. My coworker is though but I can't tell him now and he hates writing.