January 1st public domain bids

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
So a bunch of titles are going into the USA public domain on January 1st 2024. As a result, people can buy the rights to these titles as the official owners. This includes steamboat Bob(not entirely sure if that's it's name) from Disney, the call of Cthulhu, and more. I am personally excited about the Eldritch horrors being up for grabs. However, I want to know which titles you're most excited for.

On a similar note, I want to see if we can pool enough funds together to buy the rights to call of Cthulhu so that SH will be the only place people can post Eldritch abomination based stories but that's probably not going to happen. Other titles are fine too.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Plans:
Buy rights to Cthulhu.
Write a new book that retcons the old lore.
Now, Cthulhu is a mentally scarred ex-hentai actor who once was famous for its tentacle play but got abused in the sector and turned into an eldritch horror because of that.
Refuse to elaborate further.

Paul_Tromba

Plans:
Buy rights to Cthulhu.
Write a new book that retcons the old lore.
Now, Cthulhu is a mentally scarred ex-hentai actor who once was famous for its tentacle play but got abused in the sector and turned into an eldritch horror because of that.
Refuse to elaborate further.
You would have to purchase it first.

Paul_Tromba

Wait... I thought that the call of Cthulhu was already in public domain...
It was after 1957 because Lovecraft didn't pay the dues due to being dead but the trademark is currently owned by chaosium Inc. it will be back in public domain on January 1st. Though they can still sue anyone who uses the IP of Cthulhu until then. They just don't.
Isn't the public domain's whole shtick that anyone can use it without worrying about infringing on copyright? Am I missing something here?
Yes. Though it also means that anyone can purchase the rights to the IP and hold the trademark copyright.

D

Deleted member 133647

So a bunch of titles are going into the USA public domain on January 1st 2024. As a result, people can buy the rights to these titles as the official owners. This includes steamboat Bob(not entirely sure if that's it's name) from Disney, the call of Cthulhu, and more. I am personally excited about the Eldritch horrors being up for grabs. However, I want to know which titles you're most excited for.

On a similar note, I want to see if we can pool enough funds together to buy the rights to call of Cthulhu so that SH will be the only place people can post Eldritch abomination based stories but that's probably not going to happen. Other titles are fine too.
how much money

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I am closing shop so had little time to look it up but here is AI summary:

No, someone cannot buy intellectual properties that already entered into the public domain space. Intellectual properties (IPs) are the creations of the human mind, such as inventions, artistic works, designs, symbols, names, and images. IPs are protected by legal rights, such as patents, trademarks, and copyrights, that grant the owners exclusive control over their IPs.
However, when IPs enter the public domain, they lose their legal protection and become available for anyone to use or modify without permission or restriction. Therefore, no one can buy or own IPs that are in the public domain, because they belong to the public as a whole.
Some reasons why IPs may enter the public domain are:
  • The IP rights have expired, usually after a certain period of time from the date of creation or publication.
  • The IP rights have been forfeited, waived, or abandoned by the owner, either deliberately or through negligence.
  • The IP rights have been invalidated, revoked, or canceled by a court or authority.
  • The IP is not eligible for legal protection in the first place, because it lacks originality, novelty, or utility.
You can learn more about the public domain and intellectual property from these sources:
I hope this answers your question. 😊

&

Cthulhu is a fictional cosmic entity created by writer H. P. Lovecraft in 19261 Cthulhu is considered to be part of the public domain, which means that anyone can use or modify the character without permission or restriction2
However, some aspects of Cthulhu and the Cthulhu Mythos may be subject to intellectual property rights held by other authors, publishers, or entities. For example, the trademark “Cthulhu” is owned by Chaosium, a company that produces the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game3 Therefore, anyone who wants to use the name “Cthulhu” for commercial purposes may need to obtain a license from Chaosium or risk legal.

Cthulhu is a special case as some aspects of him may not be in the public domain and are owned by corpos. So that is that.

Once something is in the public domain, it is a free-for-all. That is the whole reason it exists.

Paul_Tromba

No, they can't. I am 99% sure nobody can buy IPs from once they are in the public domain.
Yes, once it goes into the public domain. Usually, the IP will go through the steps of becoming public domain but can be bought before it becomes official. Either that, or the company that owns the IP trademark can repurchase it, extending the time before it goes into the PD. At least, that was what I understood. Once it is in the PD, it can never be owned but that's why it's being bid on on January 1st, to prevent it from becoming PD.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Yes, once it goes into the public domain. Usually, the IP will go through the steps of becoming public domain but can be bought before it becomes official. Either that, or the company that owns the IP trademark can repurchase it, extending the time before it goes into the PD. At least, that was what I understood. Once it is in the PD, it can never be owned but that's why it's being bid on on January 1st, to prevent it from becoming PD.
No?

Disney lobbied twice to the gov to change the copyright laws so they can keep Hold of mickey. They extended the timeframe before something enters public domain. There is a stirct time limit. They simply no longer care to do a 100mil lobby campaign for a 3rd time for another law change to make the official time limit extend before public domain inclusion when they have grown so big.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
You can't extend limits to a copy right by purchasing it or anything but there are still ways to get around it. Like Disney for example. Mickey mousr goes public domain, but that only extents to his first ever appearance as illustrated by Walt Disney. Any more recent and different depiction of him since then is still protected such as representation in different art atyles and illustrated by different artists.

Paul_Tromba

No?

Disney lobbied twice to the gov to change the copyright laws so they can keep Hold of mickey. They extended the timeframe before something enters public domain. There is a stirct time limit. They simply no longer care to do a 100mil lobby campaign for a 3rd time for another law change to make the official time limit extend before public domain inclusion when they have grown so big.
I see. Then I have been misinformed. I apologize for spreading more misinformation.