Jesus' us in name because of Roman Empire?

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺🌈
Roman names seem to usually contain "us" at the end (Gaius Julius, Marcus Aurelius, Titus, Tiberius etc). Jesus. JesUS
Jesus came from Judea which at his time was under the administration of the Roman Empire.
Ah, so his name was Jew, and they tacked an us on the end so that he wouldn't get murdered. A little late, though.

It makes sense as a metaphor.

EnoraTwilight

My brain have wrinkles
Roman names seem to usually contain "us" at the end (Gaius Julius, Marcus Aurelius, Titus, Tiberius etc). Jesus. JesUS
Jesus came from Judea which at his time was under the administration of the Roman Empire. Btw, Longinus. The guy who stabbed Jesus.
The timing of this is great. Someone in my house is watching "Jesus of Nazareth". Are you in my walls taking my copper?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Jesus came from Judea which at his time was under the administration of the Roman Empire. Btw, Longinus. The guy who stabbed Jesus.
You are correct about Roman names but I don't necessarily think the "us" came from Roman popularization. Though it's not a bad theory. As a Christian myself, I believe that the name came from God.

Konjack

Ah, so his name was Jew, and they tacked an us on the end so that he wouldn't get murdered. A little late, though.

It makes sense as a metaphor.
Removing the "W" and adding the "sus" was truly brilliant foreshadowing of the end of his career.

Lloyd

Funny Guy :)
Yeah duh. Jesus, his English name, comes from the Latin base Iesus, which romans would have called him. In Hebrew his name is Yeshua.

Jemini

Yeah duh. Jesus, his English name, comes from the Latin base Iesus, which romans would have called him. In Hebrew his name is Yeshua.
Indeed, and "Yeshua" is a name that, in modern times, has become "Joshua." It was considered a fairly common name at the time, every single bit as common as Joshua is today, and how common the name was happens to be the entire point of it.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Im going to say it... I can't resist.... As I live on Hadrian's Wall, Rome's final frontier.... WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US!!!!

melchi

What is a custom title?
Maybe someone is looking into it too much.

1.) Jesus, being jewish has a jewish name "Yeshua"
2.) the rest is just translation issues.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Indeed, and "Yeshua" is a name that, in modern times, has become "Joshua." It was considered a fairly common name at the time, every single bit as common as Joshua is today, and how common the name was happens to be the entire point of it.
Wasn’t this a mistranslation, from Yeshua to Jesus? I always thought they mistranslated it as Jesus instead of Joshua, and just rolled with it as it had become common due to its Greekifiedness.

Lloyd

Funny Guy :)
Wasn’t this a mistranslation, from Yeshua to Jesus? I always thought they mistranslated it as Jesus instead of Joshua, and just rolled with it as it had become common due to its Greekifiedness.
As I said, Jesus is based on his Latin name, while Joshua is based on his Hebrew name. They are both equally correct.