Learning How To Write

D

Deleted member 42060

Just start writing. Start with a novel. Love it. Hate it. Rewrite it over and over again. Learn how to move forward. Repeat.

Most people would suggest writing short stories first. But writing a novel is just more exciting.

I suggest you go to this site if you want writing prompts: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/

Mechaphobic

I dropped out of high school to go into a trade school, so I never really learned to properly write. Editing hell? I spend hours slowly roasting myself in it, and it isn't fun. My spelling is mostly okay, but I make grammar mistakes here and there. My readers have been teaching me to better write, I am very thankful to them. Nothing will ever start until you take that initial plunge.

My only experience in writing came from creating technical documentation. I can tell you that they would be lucky if I even included commas in it.

skillet

a frying pan
Hi! Sorry to jump in here a bit late after I see that you've already made the decision not to go through with this plan after all I just wanted to throw in my two cents that this is a completely valid way to get your foot into writing. If you're not yet fully convinced, please do reconsider your reconsideration (lol).

Think of it this way: how do artists start? Sure, many people might get better at drawing or illustrating by only drawing what they want to draw/their Huge and Beautiful Ideas. But technical aspects of drawing is something that should be considered if you want the full image in your head to be created as you'd like it to be in your head. Writing is the same.

You don't want to try writing what you really want to write because you feel you're not ready for it? Don't. Feel free to try, of course, but it's 1000% okay to save it for later, too. There's a very famous Korean author who said that many times, he has an idea to write about that he notes down and waits until he matures enough as a writer to accurately portray it. Some of his bestsellers are from ideas many years old. (And let me tell you, he has a lot of bestsellers.)

Idk, without wanting to attack anyone, I feel like the notion of "you can only be a writer/start writing if you have the passion/idea to write a specific story" is very elitist and rather unproductive. We all get started in different ways. You do you. I have many ideas for songs and drawings and stories that I have written but have not touched because I am technique-wise not ready for them. Work on your craft, whichever way that will get you to where you want to be.

...that was longer than I was meaning to write, but I was a tad bit irritated at some of the answers I saw here. Good luck, to all of us aspiring writers!! :D

SailusGebel

Hi! Sorry to jump in here a bit late after I see that you've already made the decision not to go through with this plan after all I just wanted to throw in my two cents that this is a completely valid way to get your foot into writing. If you're not yet fully convinced, please do reconsider your reconsideration (lol).

Think of it this way: how do artists start? Sure, many people might get better at drawing or illustrating by only drawing what they want to draw/their Huge and Beautiful Ideas. But technical aspects of drawing is something that should be considered if you want the full image in your head to be created as you'd like it to be in your head. Writing is the same.

You don't want to try writing what you really want to write because you feel you're not ready for it? Don't. Feel free to try, of course, but it's 1000% okay to save it for later, too. There's a very famous Korean author who said that many times, he has an idea to write about that he notes down and waits until he matures enough as a writer to accurately portray it. Some of his bestsellers are from ideas many years old. (And let me tell you, he has a lot of bestsellers.)

Idk, without wanting to attack anyone, I feel like the notion of "you can only be a writer/start writing if you have the passion/idea to write a specific story" is very elitist and rather unproductive. We all get started in different ways. You do you. I have many ideas for songs and drawings and stories that I have written but have not touched because I am technique-wise not ready for them. Work on your craft, whichever way that will get you to where you want to be.

...that was longer than I was meaning to write, but I was a tad bit irritated at some of the answers I saw here. Good luck, to all of us aspiring writers!! :D
So, that Korean author wrote stories based on other people's ideas? How did he start?

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I agree with a frying pan.

Sometimes writing a story that is not yours is more liberating and helpful than writing something you're passionate about.

You aren't doubting yourself as much - the story doesn't matter as much. Which means you aren't stuck in trying to make it the best thing ever.

It is certainly a valid way to practice your current skills and possibly try out some new tricks.

about ideas:
- a closed room murder mystery at the tie fashion show - the famous model was strangled by his leading contender's tie.
- a travelling alien is trying to explain to humans that he didn't come in peace - he is just low on gas
- a coming of age story about a kid in a family vehicle finally realising that no they arent there yet

SailusGebel

I agree with a frying pan.

Sometimes writing a story that is not yours is more liberating and helpful than writing something you're passionate about.

You aren't doubting yourself as much - the story doesn't matter as much. Which means you aren't stuck in trying to make it the best thing ever.

It is certainly a valid way to practice your current skills and possibly try out some new tricks.

about ideas:
- a closed room murder mystery at the tie fashion show - the famous model was strangled by his leading contender's tie.
- a travelling alien is trying to explain to humans that he didn't come in peace - he is just low on gas
- a coming of age story about a kid in a family vehicle finally realising that no they arent there yet
And what exactly a person would learn if he\she doesn't care? Would the said person even finish this idea? There are authors here who are passionate about their works, yet they are procrastinating. So, if the said person doesn't care, what will happen?

Let's imagine that someone decides to use one of your ideas. So the finished novel is 10-20 chapters long. Looking at your ideas, they won't attract much attention. No offense, but both of us know what people like to read here(smut, isekai, litrpg, and so on). So, the only feedback would be, probably, given by 1-2 kind readers or here in the feedback area of the forum. The person used someone else's idea, so he\she doesn't care about that work. What will he\she get out of this?

JayDirex

@Sylvie Listen!

The writing prompts are wonderful. but heed my advice. Write your first story about the interaction between two (or more) people. (maybe one has a crush on another). The point is, make it so that whatever the conflict is, it's a personal one between people. AND I PROMISE YOU, it will be easier to write and you could put your feelings into it. Even it is just a scene. It doesn't have to be a full story, yet.

Start with interpersonal stories, and then graduate to plot-driven stories (hero's quest, villainess must become the queen, etc). Because once you start writing plot-driven stories, the writing structure/rules of story telling- then become more demanding.

But if you tell a story about a guy or girl who likes another guy or girl in highschool...the story would just be about them. And a better way to start storytelling. (just the advice of a many-novels-written-veteran) :blob_reach:

luxia

Not to plug for the Adventurer's Guild or anything, but if you're mainly looking to practice your technical writing skills, roleplay can also be a really great avenue to practice your writing style.

I wouldn't really stress about writing the "perfect" story or anything.

The important part is just have fun in the process. Skip and fast forward through everything that you don't want to write.

For instance, ages ago when I was participating in AGv1 on NUF, the main thing I did with my character was figure out how to fail every quest that my character took. I had a lot more fun "failing" quests than passing them, and I enjoyed the stuff that I wrote there. Here are some excerpts actually:

Also, with roleplay you can roleplay with someone else, and sometimes that forces you not to have time to edit and overthink your writing because you'll need to reply to someone.

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
@Sylvie Listen!

The writing prompts are wonderful. but heed my advice. Write your first story about the interaction between two (or more) people. (maybe one has a crush on another). The point is, make it so that whatever the conflict is, it's a personal one between people. AND I PROMISE YOU, it will be easier to write and you could put your feelings into it. Even it is just a scene. It doesn't have to be a full story, yet.

Start with interpersonal stories, and then graduate to plot-driven stories (hero's quest, villainess must become the queen, etc). Because once you start writing plot-driven stories, the writing structure/rules of story telling- then become more demanding.

But if you tell a story about a guy or girl who likes another guy or girl in highschool...the story would just be about them. And a better way to start storytelling. (just the advice of a many-novels-written-veteran) :blob_reach:
Having a familiar setting does sound relatively easier to write. I'll keep this in mind while coming up with my story. Thank you!

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
And what exactly a person would learn if he\she doesn't care? Would the said person even finish this idea? There are authors here who are passionate about their works, yet they are procrastinating. So, if the said person doesn't care, what will happen?

Let's imagine that someone decides to use one of your ideas. So the finished novel is 10-20 chapters long. Looking at your ideas, they won't attract much attention. No offense, but both of us know what people like to read here(smut, isekai, litrpg, and so on). So, the only feedback would be, probably, given by 1-2 kind readers or here in the feedback area of the forum. The person used someone else's idea, so he\she doesn't care about that work. What will he\she get out of this?
his first post didn't strike me as he was trying to write to be popular here on SH (or popular in general)
It sounded to me like the intent was to put some experience under his belt for his own sake.

There are passionate procrastinators of course, but there are also dispassionate hardworkers. To each their own.

Sylvie

Not to plug for the Adventurer's Guild or anything, but if you're mainly looking to practice your technical writing skills, roleplay can also be a really great avenue to practice your writing style.

I wouldn't really stress about writing the "perfect" story or anything.

The important part is just have fun in the process. Skip and fast forward through everything that you don't want to write.

For instance, ages ago when I was participating in AGv1 on NUF, the main thing I did with my character was figure out how to fail every quest that my character took. I had a lot more fun "failing" quests than passing them, and I enjoyed the stuff that I wrote there. Here are some excerpts actually:

Also, with roleplay you can roleplay with someone else, and sometimes that forces you not to have time to edit and overthink your writing because you'll need to reply to someone.
I actually did want to do the AG RP, but I've got a complete block on that for some reason. I am definitely planning on coming back to it in a while though. Also, the failure stories are really interesting! You had a very cute character~!

SailusGebel

his first post didn't strike me as he was trying to write to be popular here on SH (or popular in general)
It sounded to me like the intent was to put some experience under his belt for his own sake.

There are passionate procrastinators of course, but there are also dispassionate hardworkers. To each their own.
Then what is even the point of all of this? If you want to write for money, you cater to the readers. You look at what kind of genres\tags bring in the most amount of views and go for it.

If you want to write for yourself, you should write your own ideas. If you want to learn how to write, you should still write your own ideas. Only that way, you will understand where exactly you failed. There is a lot of different 'critiques' out there. The most simple example. Someone might say: "Your MC is garbage, change him." And only if the idea is yours you would be able to understand if the critique is valid or not. Because only you know if it was intended, or not. Only if the idea is yours you will understand the underlying meanings. The thoughts and ideas you wanted to convey. Everyone can point out failed tense usage, punctuation mistakes, and so on. But, exactly, because you don't care about others' ideas, you don't know the exact meaning behind them. You aren't pouring your all into the. It's a project, not a piece of art.

SomeGuy

The best way to write is not to write at all.

Instead, I go to the Demon God Carthlakunsuoan and offer a blood sacrifice, I usually use a goat because that spices up the grammar and the action more, though a cow would do. I then do the Sailor Moon transformation to assert my dominance over the forsaken Demon God.

In about an hour or so, you'll have a brand-new draft for your story, thanks and goodnight.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Can relate to the editing Hell. Sometimes I'll have a chapter "technically" done, but I end up letting it sit and stew as I continue adding small details and consult a thesaurus.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Polyamory
Also, feel free to submit a Lewd Poem (link in signature)

skillet

a frying pan
So, that Korean author wrote stories based on other people's ideas? How did he start?
I... don't want to seem like I'm trying to make arguments here :sweating_profusely: but I do think I should maybe defend myself? I included the part about the Korean author based on one of the original poster's previous replies that said they had many ideas but didn't want them 'wasted' on their current level of writing ability, since they judged that their abilities could be enlarged upon. I was trying to say that it's alright if they save up their ideas for later until they feel ready. :D

Also, as for your point about how you should only write based on your own ideas, I'm pretty sure the original poster didn't ask for fully formed ideas to write off of but one-line prompts:
Please give me some one-liner writing prompts that I could use as a base. I'm going to choose three out of them and write on those. You can make it more detailed if you wish, but it isn't necessary. Any genre is fine. If possible, I would like to choose three different genres out of the given suggestions.
...which would basically mean that they end up formulating their own ideas anyways. I've taken creative writing courses before (not that they should be the standard to learning how to write, of course) where they set you into writing exercises and full projects basically based on similar prompting. If you want to write something you really wanted to your whole life for that class, you can, but it's just as valid to use those prompts and begin writing.

Ahhh anyways, I'm not trying to say that your way is invalid or anything-- it's one completely viable way to go about things-- but my point is that it's not the only way. I really think choosing a temporary idea to write about can be very beneficial because, due to less emotional attachment to the idea, you can be less afraid of failure and thus more experimental, which is where a lot of growth can happen. But as someone else in this thread said, to each their own. :blobthumbsup:

+ To the original poster (sorry for lowkey? kinda? having a sort of debate thingy on your thread!), here are some exercises from a previous creative writing course that you might play around with, too! :D
1. Write a short story with only inner monologue, none to minimal spoken dialogue
2. Write a story that only consists of written communication (letters, notes, texts, etc.)
3. Write one scene, then tell the same scene from another point of view (first person VS third person)

D

Deleted member 45782

Story Outline Thread is available on SHF. Recommend check it out. People dump their story plots there.

There's r/writingprompts and there's an old WritingPrompts app by Bew on Android. I use to dump ideas I never thought I would bother to write into the WritingPrompt app. Prompts can be searched depending on what genre you want or the most votes or what stories they have by certain prompts on there.

I made some good ones and some dumb ones on there hehe..too many to find and scroll for the ones I wanna go back to. But i can share some of those i made if you'd like.

Or...can't really think any off the top of my head at the moment, but here goes...
"This is Trish. She ate a fish. Fish made a wish. Now Trish is on another living one's dish."

You've been cursed to rhyme endlessly in limerick at night for the next twelve days. Each time you complete a limerick, you must begin another one. Only til dawn can you stop. If you skip a night, you'll die. You're losing sleep and deep dark circles appear underneath your eyes. You want to break the curse, but its getting harder and harder too since you're exhausted. Maybe you should have left that poor leprechaun alone, or at least, what you assumed was a leprechaun...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvie

"This is Trish. She ate a fish. Fish made a wish. Now Trish is on another living one's dish."

You've been cursed to rhyme endlessly in limerick at night for the next twelve days. Each time you complete a limerick, you must begin another one. Only til dawn can you stop. If you skip a night, you'll die. You're losing sleep and deep dark circles appear underneath your eyes. You want to break the curse, but its getting harder and harder too since you're exhausted. Maybe you should have left that poor leprechaun alone, or at least, what you assumed was a leprechaun...
This sounds like a super fun nightmare to write:blobrofl:. Although, if anyone did it well, I feel it'd be an amazing read too!

SailusGebel

I... don't want to seem like I'm trying to make arguments here :sweating_profusely: but I do think I should maybe defend myself? I included the part about the Korean author based on one of the original poster's previous replies that said they had many ideas but didn't want them 'wasted' on their current level of writing ability, since they judged that their abilities could be enlarged upon. I was trying to say that it's alright if they save up their ideas for later until they feel ready. :D

Also, as for your point about how you should only write based on your own ideas, I'm pretty sure the original poster didn't ask for fully formed ideas to write off of but one-line prompts:

...which would basically mean that they end up formulating their own ideas anyways. I've taken creative writing courses before (not that they should be the standard to learning how to write, of course) where they set you into writing exercises and full projects basically based on similar prompting. If you want to write something you really wanted to your whole life for that class, you can, but it's just as valid to use those prompts and begin writing.

Ahhh anyways, I'm not trying to say that your way is invalid or anything-- it's one completely viable way to go about things-- but my point is that it's not the only way. I really think choosing a temporary idea to write about can be very beneficial because, due to less emotional attachment to the idea, you can be less afraid of failure and thus more experimental, which is where a lot of growth can happen. But as someone else in this thread said, to each their own. :blobthumbsup:

+ To the original poster (sorry for lowkey? kinda? having a sort of debate thingy on your thread!), here are some exercises from a previous creative writing course that you might play around with, too! :D
1. Write a short story with only inner monologue, none to minimal spoken dialogue
2. Write a story that only consists of written communication (letters, notes, texts, etc.)
3. Write one scene, then tell the same scene from another point of view (first person VS third person)
I wasn't trying to 'attack' you, and it isn't my intention to 'win' an argument. I asked you a question. You didn't answer it. Instead, you started talking about completely different things, deriving the subject. Nice. (y)

Okay, I'm going to say this. If you want to learn how to WRITE, you should go, and get 'Learning ENGLISH' courses, okay? That way, you would improve your own grammar prowess. You don't spend your time on useless things and learn how to use punctuation, tenses, and so on.

Now, Imagine not having enough creativity so that you need to attend CREATIVE WRITING COURSES. I mean, if you attend such courses, why bother writing? You look at it as if someone may teach you how to write. No. It's not possible.

Also, my other question wasn't answer. WHO would review the work, who would help with those ideas. Are you going to do it? Or what? Even if we take into consideration that courses works(they don't), there are teachers there, no? If there are no teachers, then once again, what is the difference? I stated why I think people should write their own ideas. But no one answered my questions. If it's a temporary idea if there is no attachment, what exactly would you get from work that barely gets a few thousand views and 20-70 readers?