Life at a Japanese school AMA

SailusGebel

What about underage drinking\smoking? I'm not talking about drinking\smoking in the school's territories, but more about doing it on the streets, at parties, etc. Did anyone except for delinquents do it on a somewhat regular basis? When I mention drinking, I'm not talking about having a small sip of sparkling wine on a new year under your parents' watch. I mean something like asking an older brother\sister or an upperclassman to buy beer or canned cocktails and drink them with your friends, at a party, etc.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
What about underage drinking\smoking? I'm not talking about drinking\smoking in the school's territories, but more about doing it on the streets, at parties, etc. Did anyone except for delinquents do it on a somewhat regular basis? When I mention drinking, I'm not talking about having a small sip of sparkling wine on a new year under your parents' watch. I mean something like asking an older brother\sister or an upperclassman to buy beer or canned cocktails and drink them with your friends, at a party, etc.
Generally, the consumption of alcoholic items by minors is not a crime. It is a misdemeanor that is not punished. That's right, there is a law that states alcohol is illegal for those under 20, but nobody obeys it. Schoolgirls regularly buy beer, sake and alcoholic chocolates and nobody cares. It's just that the shopkeeper may refuse to sell beer to you if you buy it while wearing school uniform. But then again, it common for high schoolers to buy beer for their fathers, so it depends on the shopkeeper.

As for Ai-chan's personal experiences, Ai-chan regularly sipped strawberry daiquiri at the cafe when Ai-chan was in middle school. Ai-chan doesn't drink beer, it is really disagreeable with Ai-chan's tongue. We also bought alcoholic chocolates for Christmas and we've even made alcoholic chocolates for Valentine's Day. Ai-chan confess that Ai-chan totally loves rum.

And yes, drinking alcohol with friends is a common thing in Japan among middle and high schoolers. Though probably less common for girls except at karaokes. Yeah drinking at karaoke with your school friends is a thing.

SailusGebel

Generally, the consumption of alcoholic items by minors is not a crime. It is a misdemeanor that is not punished. That's right, there is a law that states alcohol is illegal for those under 20, but nobody obeys it. Schoolgirls regularly buy beer, sake and alcoholic chocolates and nobody cares. It's just that the shopkeeper may refuse to sell beer to you if you buy it while wearing school uniform. But then again, it common for high schoolers to buy beer for their fathers, so it depends on the shopkeeper.

As for Ai-chan's personal experiences, Ai-chan regularly sipped strawberry daiquiri at the cafe when Ai-chan was in middle school. Ai-chan doesn't drink beer, it is really disagreeable with Ai-chan's tongue. We also bought alcoholic chocolates for Christmas and we've even made alcoholic chocolates for Valentine's Day. Ai-chan confess that Ai-chan totally loves rum.

And yes, drinking alcohol with friends is a common thing in Japan among middle and high schoolers. Though probably less common for girls except at karaokes. Yeah drinking at karaoke with your school friends is a thing.
Wow, I've never expected such an answer. With how every Japanese manga and light novel I've read stated that underage drinking is not allowed, I didn't expect that the laws and the attitude towards this were so lax. Though I understand that writing about underage drinking isn't allowed for different reasons, I wasn't expecting that you could simply go and buy alcohol in the open.

And by the way, drinking alcohol in the cafe while you are still in middle school? Brutal. On the second note, how old are students in middle school?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Wow, I've never expected such an answer. With how every Japanese manga and light novel I've read stated that underage drinking is not allowed, I didn't expect that the laws and the attitude towards this were so lax. Though I understand that writing about underage drinking isn't allowed for different reasons, I wasn't expecting that you could simply go and buy alcohol in the open.

And by the way, drinking alcohol in the cafe while you are still in middle school? Brutal. On the second note, how old are students in middle school?
You can actually see underage alcoholism in some animes, such as when students smuggle alcohol into their dorms on school trips or when students unknowingly consume alcoholic chocolates and become drunk from it. It's often portrayed as immoral things, so perhaps it was allowed if you don't glorify it, maybe.

Yes, you can simply buy alcohol in the open. Back in Ai-chan's day boys could just go to a vending machine, pay the amount and get some delicious Asahi Super Dry without enduring the penetrating stares of the shopkeeper. Delicious being relative, because Ai-chan is in the rum camp. Middle school generally between 12 to 16, though most of the students are from 13 to 15 years old. Middle school/junior high is compulsory education that lasts 3 years.

SailusGebel

Middle school generally between 12 to 16, though most of the students are from 13 to 15 years old.
As for Ai-chan's personal experiences, Ai-chan regularly sipped strawberry daiquiri at the cafe when Ai-chan was in middle school.

And yes, drinking alcohol with friends is a common thing in Japan among middle and high schoolers.
Yes, you can simply buy alcohol in the open.
:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Florestes

A shard of time embraced by darkness.

Ai-chan, please tell us about your outfit!

What are the common practices during the Christmas holidays? I'm fairly certain that some anime have shown young people visiting shrines for ?prayers? or something.

Is it standard practice of pigging out on food and booze, followed by launching/watching fireworks? Watching Christmas movies and wondering how the hell it's already the second week of January? Just like the rest of us do it?