Looking for an artist to do cover for my novel but I am broke so I can't pay (Free)

Enchant

Ironically is quite catching as a thumbnail.

You know, there is too much black and not enough contrast. It will look like a black blob unless you meet an artist that is good with greyscale coloring or that being is simply not completely black. :blob_hmm:

I can't get the image out of my head that the black being is being carried in the back [of the suit]. :blob_no:

Also, this photo edit took about half an hour?
Pixabay and hiclipart have enough free png (background-free) images that fit your needs. There are enough free programs that can do simple edits.

Fyi, the illustration in the background took 4hours. How simple does the half/full-body illustration have to be so that it is free and customized? Here's the answer:

I love stick figures. They make my day. Would 100% use a stick figure cover for my next work.

So what did we learn?
- black being+black hoodie+black fog= black blob :blob_ninja:
- stick figures are the best :blob_aww:
- fast edit covers are sometimes more catching than time-consuming illustrations :blob_teary:
- SH peeps are great at editing pictures together :blob_paint:
Thank you well I am also sorry for the illustrations that I made angry I just new here so I thought I can do this but thank you for the stickman and the other illustrations too😔😔😔😔

PS: can I use this illustrations I am just asking.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Thank you well I am also sorry for the illustrations that I made angry I just new here so I thought I can do this but thank you for the stickman and the other illustrations too😔😔😔😔

PS: can I use this illustrations I am just asking.
The stick figures and son goku edit aren't mine, need to ping the users who did them.

And no, the fun cover I did is not for use. My OC is featured there and he's part of a story, so it would be weird if he were to represent the MC of another story. You may search for a suitable image on pixabay or similar sites though and I replace my OC with it.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
edit_os_black-knight_studio_rgb_02 (2).jpg

purely because I hate artists

edit: Just realized this isn't what you were asking for and I don't care.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
I feel offended, what beef did you have with artist that you hate a whole profession?
Purely because I'm not good at it. The image I posted was made in photoshop and had filters added to it.

tiaf

Purely because I'm not good at it. The image I posted was made in photoshop and had filters added to it.
You aren’t bad though

EternalSunset0

Before I got kicked off Wattpad, I remember it being pretty easy to get free covers there. Things may have changed a bunch, though. I heard a rumor that they completely eliminated their forum section.
They did

The reason why people get upset when asked for free art is because it is a bit insulting to the artist. Drawing takes time, and lots of practice.

Of course there will be cases where artists offer to do covers for free, there is also AI generated art that can be used for covers. They can at least provide a person, and adding some smoke via blur or a brush is pretty easy.

+1. I don't mean to throw shade on OP (hence why I haven't replied) but it makes me sad when people seem to take art for granted. Yeah, there are talented geniuses there who easily draw like nothing. But for other people, learning how to draw is a long process that takes a lot of time and effort for it to not at least be compensated in some tangible way.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I could draw it for free, but you gotta make the guy gay and horny

EDIT: But ayyyyy ppl be piling on you for asking for free art? I don't really feel offended by it, I mean at least you asked honestly and didn't trick anyone.
But I'm easy like that so :blob_melt::blob_happy::blob_happy:

Last edited:

Enchant

The stick figures and son goku edit aren't mine, need to ping the users who did them.

And no, the fun cover I did is not for use. My OC is featured there and he's part of a story, so it would be weird if he were to represent the MC of another story. You may search for a suitable image on pixabay or similar sites though and I replace my OC with it.
okay thanks

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I meant it in the way that it turns into a completely different image from where it started. Not using the same image with different colors. Changing the image to be different, eventually, isn't the same picture. It may have the same poses, but not the same. So, I might be wrong, but I am a writer, and I think we can write the same story in different ways.
Err, if it helps, I think I know what you mean. In some art circles, this is known as pose-jacking, meaning you trace over poses to make a character using the poses from a different image. The only problem with this is that it's a practice that's frowned upon by a lot of people, consumers and artists alike. You'd probably see Youtube videos or forum overlays of a "jacked" pose where some people overlay one image over another to discover where the original pose is from.

I personally don't mind that practice in particular because I'm in fashion and we tend to use professional fashion templates even if we can draw figures ourselves (you'll probably learn over internship that streamlined templates are required by some companies), but some artists, especially freelancers and hobbyists, tend to be particularly antsy about edits and pose-jacking, so it's not a bad idea to be a little careful with it where anime forums are concerned.

Writing the same story in different ways can be equally frowned upon if I'm not mistaken. I was in a writers' forum on Reddit and it was brought up a number of times. They termed it "lifting a blueprint" of a story and it seemed to be considered plagiarism in a way......... though I would soooorta disagree with it since plagiarism in academia usually means heavily influenced or text lifted directly from an uncredited source.

In short people just really hate copying. :blob_happy: I'm a bit surprised that people are getting angry over requests for free art though. During the earlier days of the Internet myself and some other kids gave free art left and right. I don't really see that so often nowadays. I feel so old.

tiaf

I'm a bit surprised that people are getting angry over requests for free art though. During the earlier days of the Internet myself and some other kids gave free art left and right. I don't really see that so often nowadays. I feel so old.
Probably because a lot of people actually need cover art, but artist is a short supply on this writer forum.

There were unpaid requests in the past and the first person got roasted severely. When a nice soul actually showed up to provide free art, it was almost taken for granted that they would do so for any unpaid request.

Maybe it’s more the way people ask. Cause if complex art (and high art level!) is requested, then people naturally will frown at it. If it’s too simple, then people wonder why the requester doesn’t do it themselves. ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Probably because a lot of people actually need cover art, but artist is a short supply on this writer forum.

There were unpaid requests in the past and the first person got roasted severely. When a nice soul actually showed up to provide free art, it was almost taken for granted that they would do so for any unpaid request.

Maybe it’s more the way people ask. Cause if complex art (and high art level!) is requested, then people naturally will frown at it. If it’s too simple, then people wonder why the requester doesn’t do it themselves. ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭
Aaaa if there's a need for cover art, are those free templates in this forum not usable? But yes, artists are on short supply since it's a writers' forum... hmmm... :blob_hmm:

I feel the BL group is very fortunate because we're offered free chibis each month. We're a blessed group~ :blob_aww: (EDIT: I'm currently having some issues with Google mail, so I can't fill the form yet, sorry. I normally don't use gmail.)

Oh no. I think I know who you meant that got taken for granted for that unpaid request. :blob_teary: Once you start giving one to someone you tend to get "called out" for favoritism, no lie...

If it’s too simple, then people wonder why the requester doesn’t do it themselves. ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭
Ahahaha, I think as artists we take for granted that it's easy to draw. For us it's generally just lines on a surface, but for someone else it can be difficult to make something more than a chicken scratch. But I do dislike it when people say, "it's just drawing/sewing and it's easy, so why can't you do it for free?" There's a way to ask without belittling someone else's ability when you don't even have it, you know? My own mom is like that, so... yeah, not uncommon LOL :blob_happy:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Err, if it helps, I think I know what you mean. In some art circles, this is known as pose-jacking, meaning you trace over poses to make a character using the poses from a different image. The only problem with this is that it's a practice that's frowned upon by a lot of people, consumers and artists alike. You'd probably see Youtube videos or forum overlays of a "jacked" pose where some people overlay one image over another to discover where the original pose is from.

I personally don't mind that practice in particular because I'm in fashion and we tend to use professional fashion templates even if we can draw figures ourselves (you'll probably learn over internship that streamlined templates are required by some companies), but some artists, especially freelancers and hobbyists, tend to be particularly antsy about edits and pose-jacking, so it's not a bad idea to be a little careful with it where anime forums are concerned.

Writing the same story in different ways can be equally frowned upon if I'm not mistaken. I was in a writers' forum on Reddit and it was brought up a number of times. They termed it "lifting a blueprint" of a story and it seemed to be considered plagiarism in a way......... though I would soooorta disagree with it since plagiarism in academia usually means heavily influenced or text lifted directly from an uncredited source.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Though, if the person is going to sell art better, make it all original. I think I heard about this artist that sells his art and it is all basically a trace. That is deplorable, but if it is just for fun, heck, I don't see why people get angry. If the artist wanted no one to take their art to be inspired and try to recreate it in their own way. Then they shouldn't have posted it on the internet. This also goes for writing. Don't publish.

The term pose-jacking makes me laugh a bit. How can anyone jack a pose? Do they own it? How can anyone own a pose/style? But then again, I am not an artist, nor do I make art for a living. This, though, reminds me of the man who sued another for stealing a dance.:blob_melt: This is just the view of someone outside of the circle.

As for the writing part. Does it suck to get copy-pasted? Yes. But heck, if my story inspires someone to create a similar story with unique elements, I don't mind it. All fan fics are like that and heck, they tend to be fun at times. They are all different from the story as they add their own character and revolve around the existing story around them and their needs.

So, I disagree otherwise all LitRPG that have a similar system would be considered plagiarism for using a formula of stats. Even other original stories have elements from other ones. Heck, even some magic systems can be considered plagiarism too. It happens because we get inspired by others. Let it be the scenery, or something that we read elsewhere.

If mother nature could sue, we would all be fucked.:blob_uwu:

Now, if it is a copy past well, then that is completely different. So, those writers in those forums are stingy at best. I understand being angry if someone literally copies past and only changes the names of your characters, but if they use the same format *Save the princess with hardcore racism* story to their own spin, I disagree.

In short people just really hate copying. :blob_happy: I'm a bit surprised that people are getting angry over requests for free art though. During the earlier days of the Internet myself and some other kids gave free art left and right. I don't really see that so often nowadays. I feel so old.
Over my attempts at drawing, I have grown a healthy respect for artists who do this for a living. So, it makes me sad for people to ask for a free costume drawing. I know how much time and effort people place to create these designs. Heck, even with my tracing, I take hours trying to make it different. So, I believe everyone should just do their own, or pay for it. Asking for someone's free time/work, unless they offer, is unacceptable for me.

Time is a precious and fleeting thing. Even when a professional artist could complete a drawing in a shorter time than a novice like myself, I still believe we should compensate them. :blob_aww: Even if they spent an hour or two, though, for complex drawing/paintings, I know it can take days sometimes.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
The term pose-jacking makes me laugh a bit. How can anyone jack a pose? Do they own it? How can anyone own a pose/style?
I have no idea LOL! I have seen those overlays in videos and forums and it is wild. I think one famous person got knocked for "plagiarising" Bleach but all Tite Kubo had to say was, "Omg, he draws manga???" The people doing those overlays were using illegally translated material to highlight it too, which was pretty damning lol. The more we dig, the more we highlight our own dirt, so I wouldn't say too much about it.

All fan fics are like that and heck, they tend to be fun at times. They are all different from the story as they add their own character and revolve around the existing story around them and their needs.
Oh man. I write fanfiction and you'd be surprised how in the fanfiction community, a good number of people actually throw fits over being "copied". I got mad downvotes when I popped up to say, "we're all doing DERIVATIVE work anyway, what is this??" They were like, you're saying this because nobody has copied you yet, but I literally had parts of my fic lifted by another author who got more kudos for it. Did I give a hoot? Nah.

I mean, in original fiction I can understand not wanting a blueprint lifted, but.... yeah, I write fairy-tales, and those tend to be derived from open domain work. It really depends on how possessive someone is over IP, I guess.

So, it makes me sad for people to ask for a free costume drawing.
Aaaa idk. I do free costume stuff for kids sometimes. Kids like that sort of thing and I.... can't find it in my heart to charge them, especially when they're in shelter homes, kids of single parents and the like. :blob_teary:

EternalSunset0

I have no idea LOL! I have seen those overlays in videos and forums and it is wild. I think one famous person got knocked for "plagiarising" Bleach but all Tite Kubo had to say was, "Omg, he draws manga???" The people doing those overlays were using illegally translated material to highlight it too, which was pretty damning lol. The more we dig, the more we highlight our own dirt, so I wouldn't say too much about it.
Nick Simmons! I remember this issue like a decade ago. It was when I was just getting started on falling into the weeb hole too. Bleach was my starter anime, so this incident struck out in particular. I did remember just laughing it off, but there were pages of tracing and pose-jacking.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Nick Simmons! I remember this issue like a decade ago. It was when I was just getting started on falling into the weeb hole too. Bleach was my starter anime, so this incident struck out in particular. I did remember just laughing it off, but there were pages of tracing and pose-jacking.
Yessss! It was Gene Simmon's son! I just vaguely remembered that it was someone famous and Tite Kubo was like OMG THIS GUY DRAWS MANGA????

No lie, like you I laughed it off too. Those pages overlaying it were from illegally translated manga, so it was extra funny LOL. A lot of Japanese people actually popped up to say, "so you talk about tracing but you refuse to pay for Bleach manga?" It was so damning :blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy:

EDIT: Also during that time my guestbook got a lot of hate because I drew Orihime.... I wasn't even shipping, just drawing the girl in pretty dresses :blob_upset: People are wild. Orihime looks good in floral dresses!!!! I DESIGN FLORAL DRESSES OK

EternalSunset0

Yessss! It was Gene Simmon's son! I just vaguely remembered that it was someone famous and Tite Kubo was like OMG THIS GUY DRAWS MANGA????

No lie, like you I laughed it off too. Those pages overlaying it were from illegally translated manga, so it was extra funny LOL. A lot of Japanese people actually popped up to say, "so you talk about tracing but you refuse to pay for Bleach manga?" It was so damning :blob_happy::blob_happy::blob_happy:

EDIT: Also during that time my guestbook got a lot of hate because I drew Orihime.... I wasn't even shipping, just drawing the girl in pretty dresses :blob_upset: People are wild. Orihime looks good in floral dresses!!!! I DESIGN FLORAL DRESSES OK
Hey I love Orihime too. I need to see the pic :blob_evil_two:

Ship wars in shounen can be wild. A lot of the "weaker" girls undeservingly get a lot of hate, too. Momo is another example in Bleach that I've seen people rag on, but she's not nearly as relevant so there's not a lot of noise.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Oh man. I write fanfiction and you'd be surprised how in the fanfiction community, a good number of people actually throw fits over being "copied". I got mad downvotes when I popped up to say, "we're all doing DERIVATIVE work anyway, what is this??" They were like, you're saying this because nobody has copied you yet, but I literally had parts of my fic lifted by another author who got more kudos for it. Did I give a hoot? Nah.

I mean, in original fiction I can understand not wanting a blueprint lifted, but.... yeah, I write fairy-tales, and those tend to be derived from open domain work. It really depends on how possessive someone is over IP, I guess.
Heheh... As I said, they are stingy people. I don't understand their thinking sadly.:blob_unsure:

Aaaa idk. I do free costume stuff for kids sometimes. Kids like that sort of thing and I.... can't find it in my heart to charge them, especially when they're in shelter homes, kids of single parents and the like. :blob_teary:
*Cough, cough* That differs from what I meant. But you are a handsome, kind soul for doing that. :blob_aww: :blob_uwu:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hey I love Orihime too. I need to see the pic :blob_evil_two:

Ship wars in shounen can be wild. A lot of the "weaker" girls undeservingly get a lot of hate, too. Momo is another example in Bleach that I've seen people rag on, but she's not nearly as relevant so there's not a lot of noise.
Aaaaahhh no way, it's old and ugly!!!! But I might do a new version sometime. :blob_aww: I like her hair and I'm super sure she will look good with more modern prints. What I liked about Bleach splash pages is that they actually look like fashion magazine spreads!

Yeah, is there a reason why "weaker" girls are hated?? I mean everyone has strengths and weaknesses. There are all sorts of people who make up a team...

*Cough, cough* That differs from what I meant. But you are a handsome, kind soul for doing that. :blob_aww: :blob_uwu:
Ooooh now I'm curious, what did you mean? :blob_hide: Do you mean Karens who demand for free cosplays lol :blob_happy: Especially those who join cosplay groups, I've met some! They're wild! I told one to sew it herself because "it's easy" she said hahahahaha the look on da face

then I got booted from the group for being a bitch :blob_shade: Edit: and deactivated my Facebook. Good timesss