Looking for ideas for a cover

Chloe_Bear

Hi all I am looking for some ideas for a cover to my book that would be a good fit to it.

Lilly is a trans girl who is given the opportunity of her dreams by her English teacher who offers to use magic to turn her into her daughter and make it as if the world only knew her as a cis girl but after this transformation, a dark coven learns of Lilly's potential and wants to use her for their own dark agenda, follow Lilly as she lives her life as a girl learning magic, surviving high school, all while a dark plot unravels behind the scenes.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Hi I run a restaurant please give me ideas for a sign

my guy if you want help for your cover at least tell us what your book is damnit

Chloe_Bear

Hi I run a restaurant please give me ideas for a sign

my guy if you want help for your cover at least tell us what your book is damnit
Lilly is a trans girl who is given the opportunity of her dreams by her English teacher who offers to use magic to turn her into her daughter and make it as if the world only knew her as a cis girl but after this transformation, a dark coven learns of Lilly's potential and wants to use her for their own dark agenda, follow Lilly as she lives her life as a girl learning magic, surviving high school, all while a dark plot unravels behind the scenes.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Start from that. Is your theme is destruction or enlightenment? Depending on the structure of your story (and whether you wanna bait and red herring the readers) you can choose either a light hearted cover or a dark, twisted one.

Then you consider whether your story is personal and up close or open with bunch of other characters getting the spotlight with dedicated subplots. This can help you plan your cover to be either up close with a focus or more inviting towards a fantasy world.

Always start your cover from your story. Maybe you can put Chekhov's Gun right in the cover for a bright focus, or have your character's face in a close up, or the cast of characters standing in a crooked hallway like some autistic band cover in an episode of iCarly - all depending on your story.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I would focus on the type of magic that will be featured in your story. Do they use wands or have other props to make the magic work? Do their hands glow when they activate their magic? Use whatever visual indicators accompany the magic.

In the case of my story, they don't really have a visual indicator of the magic, but they experience something similar to brain zaps, so that's part of why I include some lightning on my cover:

Chloe_Bear

I would focus on the type of magic that will be featured in your story. Do they use wands or have other props to make the magic work? Do their hands glow when they activate their magic? Use whatever visual indicators accompany the magic.

In the case of my story, they don't really have a visual indicator of the magic, but they experience something similar to brain zaps, so that's part of why I include some lightning on my cover:
for my second story I already have an idea for what to do I'm more o looking for my first story