Looking for Review Ideas

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Hey, some of you know me. I've been doing review feedbacks on here for a while and I've been thinking of ways to expand it. Now I know there was a person who briefly did some youtube review and readings, and I was thinking about doing something similar, so before I did anything, I just wanted to see what the community thought.

Is there anything specific you'd like to see? Sounds like a stupid idea? Should I mix real books with reviews of online serials. Just do first chapter feedbacks. Purely constructive videos?

Anyway that's where I'm at right now. Let me know if you have any opinions. I'm really just looking for advice.

SailusGebel

Are we talking about the same person? If I remember correctly, he\she was making videos about the anime\manga industry as a whole. Do you want to do the same or cover specifically SH? If it's the second, you can start by doing a guide to Scribble Hub. Some basic info and small tips and tricks. 1-2 videos to get the hang of it. Then you can try reviewing novels that you think need more love or something like this.

Vivian-M.K.

If you have the set up and voice for it, at the very least audio reviews could be good. Web cam included if you're feeling adventurous. You give out good feedback, so you should be able to do well with it.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I've seen people, who organized their reviews in lists of different ranks. and published them as a website with only reviews. like https://themasterarchive.com/

Youtube has one issue at least for me. Inability to skip/search for important parts as I can do in a text. Even if I watch someone, who I know can make good content if they are talking about stuff I know or I am not interested in - I am either stuck listening until it is over or skip it and hope to land somewhere between sentences and catch up to the discussion easily.

If you go that route I would suggest starting with something already popular or even do these "reaction" views.

Also, not as a rude question - do you have credentials? I mean as a random guy if I was to listen to a book review on youtube I am most likely to gravitate towards videos like "professional editor (X years) talks about Y series" or "Author with Z published books weights in on W". Stuff like that - little tidbits that imply that your opinion is worth listening to. Or you have a certain expertise in a niche subject and you can review books and such from that point of view.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Oh! Do mine, please! You can do them both in the same videos or seperate videos. If they're good videos, I have some connections I could use to get you some free physical books.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Are we talking about the same person? If I remember correctly, he\she was making videos about the anime\manga industry as a whole. Do you want to do the same or cover specifically SH? If it's the second, you can start by doing a guide to Scribble Hub. Some basic info and small tips and tricks. 1-2 videos to get the hang of it. Then you can try reviewing novels that you think need more love or something like this.
Not who I was talking about. Do you think people need help using scribble hub? I don't really even feel like there is a learning curve. Review highlights on specific books is something I'm seeing a lot though, and will have to be part of it.
If you have the set up and voice for it, at the very least audio reviews could be good. Web cam included if you're feeling adventurous. You give out good feedback, so you should be able to do well with it.
Yeah at least for now my laptop has built in audio and webcam, so I'm planning on doing both.
I've seen people, who organized their reviews in lists of different ranks. and published them as a website with only reviews. like https://themasterarchive.com/

Youtube has one issue at least for me. Inability to skip/search for important parts as I can do in a text. Even if I watch someone, who I know can make good content if they are talking about stuff I know or I am not interested in - I am either stuck listening until it is over or skip it and hope to land somewhere between sentences and catch up to the discussion easily.

If you go that route I would suggest starting with something already popular or even do these "reaction" views.

Also, not as a rude question - do you have credentials? I mean as a random guy if I was to listen to a book review on youtube I am most likely to gravitate towards videos like "professional editor (X years) talks about Y series" or "Author with Z published books weights in on W". Stuff like that - little tidbits that imply that your opinion is worth listening to. Or you have a certain expertise in a niche subject and you can review books and such from that point of view.
Yeah, I'm already have a lot of written stuff already so I wanted to expand it to another genre. Not sure I'm looking for reaction stuff since that always seemed low brow to me (no offense).

In terms of credentials, I was mostly coasting off this sight and RR's forums were I have prolific threads with review help going. People seemed to trust me so why not, right? You're actually the first person to ask for credentials. On that front, I have actually have a doctorate degree and my job heavily involves writing– technical writing.
Oh! Do mine, please! You can do them both in the same videos or seperate videos. If they're good videos, I have some connections I could use to get you some free physical books.
I think doing reviews for people on this site will definitely be part of that. You're thinking full on top to bottom reviews of the entire work?

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I think doing reviews for people on this site will definitely be part of that. You're thinking full on top to bottom reviews of the entire work?
KrimsonRouge from YouTube does some pretty good and in-depth reviews of terrible ass books. You could probably emulate that (without the terrible ass books, or with, depending which ones funnier).

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
KrimsonRouge from YouTube does some pretty good and in-depth reviews of terrible ass books. You could probably emulate that (without the terrible ass books, or with, depending which ones funnier).

In general, I was planning on covering some real books, but I was going to get started with community based stuff, so I don't want to ripp into that since that isn't really fair. People around here aren't professionals writing for money and you want to be positive and build that up.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
No offence was taken as I was simply throwing out ideas.

Likewise, I wasn't asking for credentials for myself specifically, but something you might consider in order to capture a wider youtube base. SH forums are rife with authors starting up (myself included) who are both eager to have their stories reviewed, and possibly gain some good vibes and little advertisement if the review comes out as good. But that won't easily attract an average youtuber that doesn't frequent SH.

But if you are thinking of starting from a SH base and if you are familiar with a lot of stories I can suggest having something like "top 10 SH stories of X genre" or "interesting new stories on SH" or even "latest 5 SH stories that piqued my interest" - stuff that an average SH reader would watch because them might be interested in that genre you are discussing and curious to see something nice that they missed. That way you would use the platform popularity to propel your work, at least among SH fans and readers. Once you gain momentum and some reader base you can diversify then

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen

Oh and while I have you.

Since your first chpater was my all time favorite, you mind if I do a full review for Canininstinct as my first video?

BenJepheneT

Oh and while I have you.

Since your first chpater was my all time favorite, you mind if I do a full review for Canininstinct as my first video?
Do I mind?

DO I MIND?

DO YOU THINK I MIND HAVING A REVIEW, SISTER?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Do I mind?

DO I MIND?

DO YOU THINK I MIND HAVING A REVIEW, SISTER?
Gonna be an honest review. I can't do as many total reviews as my forum reviews so I'm going to go in depth and not pull my punches as much since there's a premium on my time.

BenJepheneT

Gonna be an honest review. I can't do as many total reviews as my forum reviews so I'm going to go in depth and not pull my punches as much since there's a premium on my time.
My man, you wouldn't believe how big of an opportunity this is to me.

Fuck yes, go harsh on my first boy.

Around 210k words and counting so good luck lmao

SailusGebel

I meant to do a guide as a practice as well as a small promotion. So that your guide would be pinned to @WelcomeToSH or something like that. However, if you don't want to, don't do it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hathnuz

Hey, some of you know me. I've been doing review feedbacks on here for a while and I've been thinking of ways to expand it. Now I know there was a person who briefly did some youtube review and readings, and I was thinking about doing something similar, so before I did anything, I just wanted to see what the community thought.

Is there anything specific you'd like to see? Sounds like a stupid idea? Should I mix real books with reviews of online serials. Just do first chapter feedbacks. Purely constructive videos?

Anyway that's where I'm at right now. Let me know if you have any opinions. I'm really just looking for advice.
Maybe insert some cynical or sarcastic humor (or any kind of humor, really, as long as it comes off naturally). Or some top 10 list videos.

I'd prefer for you to review online serials rather than published books since there are already many booktubers doing that, but that's fine too.

Whether full reviews or simply first chapter reviews only, why not both? One is for more than 100k words stories while other is for less than that. Lastly, make sure you have a good mic. In-built laptop mics has terrible sound quality.

BenJepheneT

Lastly, make sure you have a good mic. In-built laptop mics has terrible sound quality.
but the late 2000s YouTube nostalgia tho.

yeah sure we left Fred Figglehorn in the wayside but there's still some gems left in that era, right?