Looking for some retro titles to play.

Notadate

You mean Katawa Soujo? I have it. The only VNs I probably don't have that date back to the 90s. I have ~1100 translated vns archived for myself.
let me get the forbidden box. The stuff I do not dare open

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are my two favorite PS2 SRPGs~

Although I would recommend just buying the Steam Ports instead of emulating the original PS2 releases, since the Steam Ports have more content.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Metal slug series. It's just fun

Lodur

Eight virgin
Don't forget all the 90s eroge vn's.
They are uncountable, like stars. But they were nearly all made fo PC. Some of them had versions both for PC and consoles, but version for consoles usually was not 18+.

bulmabriefs144

Bought a steam deck yesterday, and now I'm in the mood for emulating some oldies. I've got everything set up, I'm only looking for some goodies to play. Any suggestions? Here is what platform I am able to emulate:
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Gameboy
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Nintendo 64
  • GameCube
  • Dreamcast
  • PSP
  • PSX
  • PS2
  • DS/3DS
  • Switch
Here are the games I'm already written up to play, in no particular order (when I have time):
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario World
  • Pokemon Yellow
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Persona 5
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Sonic 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Here are some series I am NOT interested in:
  • Final Fantasy
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metroid
  • Mega Men
  • Tomb Raider
  • James Bond
  • Animal Crossing

Any titles suggested would be appreciated; no need for any links or whatnot; I can source them myself~ :blob_hide:

Here, I have a few. If you dunno how to find them, many are translated on CD Romance. My favorites are RPGs, platformers, and puzzle games. I'll italicize ones that are really fun or really different..

• NES - Crystalis, Castlevania II/III, Digger T Rock, Faxanadu, Ninja Gaiden I/II/III, Rygar, Willow, Star Tropics
  • Genesis - Landstalker, Zero Wing (if only for memes)
  • SNES - Illusion of Gaia, Tales of Phantasia (but I recommend you play it on PSX), Earthbound, Magical Pop'n (this one is alot of fun, it's a platform RPG), Arabian Nights, Blackthorne, Clock Tower, Dragon's View (aka Drakkhen II), Holy Umbrella, Laplace no Ma, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Brandish, Super Mario RPG, Chaos Seed (it's a feng shui sim with fighting and stuff), Far East of Eden Zero (quirky Japanese game), Terranigma (if you like Illusion of Gaia), and Eien no Filena (aka Eternal Filena)
  • Dreamcast - Napple Tale
  • GameCube - Tales of Symphonia
  • PS2 - Okami (kinda a Zelda 3D platformer with a wolf), Atelier Iris (what I found particularly good about this game was completing the NPC quests), Mana Khemia (the crafting system and the plot), Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (As a side note, Dracula X for SNES is a complete ripoff)
  • PSP - Lunar Silver Star Harmony (there are different versions of this story, but this one is my favorite), Mana Khemia (whichever on it plays better on)
  • PSX - Tales of Phantasia, Rhapsody A Musical Adventure (for a funny scene, let the opening screen run for awhile), Legend of Dragoon (the timing system makes this game hard, though)
  • DS/3DS - Bravely Default (it's so twisted and funny that it's worth playing, especially this part),
    Bravely Second, Okamiden (if you liked Okami), Ace Attorney series (as many as possible), Super Princess Peach
Why you should wait for the opening to Rhapsody...
As a side note, I recommend against the Mana Khemia sequel. Mana Khemia II is really not fun. They set you up to get a B the second semester, so then you have an alchemy session where they want you to make a 100% recipe. I wound up rage quitting because it was awful. I also would recommend against Bravely Default II. It's a disservice to the series. I'd also recommend other Zelda games, and some Breath of Fire games (but NOT Dragon Quarter, which has a crazy time limit thing).

Last edited:

Seaspecter

Don't know if it is already on here somewhere but Act Raiser for the SNES was pretty rad back in the day.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
Bought a steam deck yesterday, and now I'm in the mood for emulating some oldies. I've got everything set up, I'm only looking for some goodies to play. Any suggestions? Here is what platform I am able to emulate:
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Gameboy
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Nintendo 64
  • GameCube
  • Dreamcast
  • PSP
  • PSX
  • PS2
  • DS/3DS
  • Switch
Here are the games I'm already written up to play, in no particular order (when I have time):
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario World
  • Pokemon Yellow
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Persona 5
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Sonic 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Here are some series I am NOT interested in:
  • Final Fantasy
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metroid
  • Mega Men
  • Tomb Raider
  • James Bond
  • Animal Crossing

Any titles suggested would be appreciated; no need for any links or whatnot; I can source them myself~ :blob_hide:

Chrono Trigger. I’m amazed that nobody mentioned it already. Maybe because it has ports to several modern devices? Anyways, it’s an RPG originally released on the SNES.

A bunch of big names worked on it too, according to wikipedia, “Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Square's Final Fantasy series; Yuji Horii, creator of Enix's Dragon Quest series; and Akira Toriyama, character designer of Dragon Quest and author of the Dragon Ballmanga series. In addition, Takashi Tokita co-directed the game and co-wrote the scenario, Kazuhiko Aoki produced the game,[1] Masato Kato wrote most of the story, while composer Yasunori Mitsuda wrote most of the soundtrack before falling ill and deferring the remaining tracks to Final Fantasy series composer Nobuo Uematsu.”

Also, it has a lot of influence on modern RPGs and was the first game to have a new game+. Ehehe… I might have info dumped a bit much.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Chrono Trigger. I’m amazed that nobody mentioned it already. Maybe because it has ports to several modern devices? Anyways, it’s an RPG originally released on the SNES.
It was on the starting list. :blob_hide: :blob_cookie:

D

Deleted member 139452

Don't play duck hunt,Don't play duck hunt,Don't play duck hunt,Don't play duck hunt, please, please,please, please, please please.
On a serious note i would recommend
→ASTEROIDS
→Contra
→crash bandicoot
→Prince of persia
→The secret of monkey Island
→Day of the tentacle
→Pong
→paper boy
→space invaders

Last edited by a moderator:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Don't play duck hunt,Don't play duck hunt,Don't play duck hunt,Don't play duck hunt, please, please,please, please, please please.
On a serious note i would recommend
→ASTEROIDS
→Contra
→crash bandicoot
→Prince of persia
→The secret of monkey Island
→Day of the tentacle
→Pong
→paper boy
→space invaders
We didn't have duck hunt. We had this:

Moorhuhn if anyone is curious.

Sagacious_Punk

Resident solarpunk
Battle city
Z (1996)
Sokoban
Half-Life
Red faction
Sanitarium
Pong
Hitman contracts
Pirates of the Carribean
Some GTAs
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Horde
Dark Omen
IGI
Undying
The sting
Vampire the masquerade 1&2
XIII
C&C Generals
Syndicate (1993)
Commandos
Crash Bandicoot
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Balder's gate 2
Ultima 7
The Terminator (1991)
Contra
Prince of Persia
Metal Gear Solid
Enclave
Bomberman
Need for speed 3
Duke Nukem 3D
Aliens vs Predator 2
Age of Mythology
Sudden Strike 3
Max Payne
Beyond Good&Evil
Diablo 2
Knights&Merchants
Vietcong
Armies of Exigo
Diggles
Starcraft
Populous
Motocross madness 2
Little Big adventure 2
Swat 4
Earthworm Jim
Hard truck 2
Loder runner
Postal 2
Parasite Eve 2
Etc... Too many to list.

Oh wow, The Sting?! Somebody actually remembers that game?!?
It's like the og Thief Simulator from wayyy back (2000 I think?). Literally nobody talks about that game, even obscure game reviewers. It had a neat gameplay, but I don't know how much it holds up by today's standards.

Clive Barker's Undying, Beyond Good&Evil, SWAT 4, Command&Conquer: Generals... this list is top tier.

Try Drakan: Order of the Flame for PC! Is the best PC game I've ever played. You can explore the world riding your dragon or on foot, and you can dogfight other dragons and explore caves and dungeons on foot.

View attachment 18349

Let me add my hearty recommendation for Drakan, too! This is the definitive dragon rider game - alas, mainly because has so little competition. The only other titles that come to mind are the Panzer Dragoon series and the original Drakengard. (Drakengard's sequels are bleh, gameplay-wise.)

(Century: Age of Ashes can go take a hike.)

Btw, Drakan has a PS2-only sequel, called Drakan: The Ancients' Gates. It's ever more fun than the original, although the redesign of Arokh (the dragon) is less cool imo, even if both he and Rynn (the female knight) sport higher polygon count. The sequel is also easier in general, especially once you get the Fear spell - that one is 110% broken and trivializes almost all ground fights.

Another series that has a sort of dual legacy is Summoner. The first game came out for the PC in the late 90s/early 00s (iirc), and is a squad-based semi-action RPG kinda like the original Dungeon Siege. Your party roster is pre-determined, save for the last slot where your MC, the titular summoner, calls up various monsters. The game has this weird "active combo system" which requires you to time button presses at certain intervals, similarly to the original Witcher.

Meanwhile, Summoner 2 - which came out only for the PS2, like Drakan's sequel - is a totally different game: an action-adventure third person rpg hybrid, in which you play a badass wizard queen who's on a quest to save the world. And she can transform into various creatures, hence the title. Has almost nothing in common with the original, so you can start playing directly, if this type of gameplay sounds more like your thing.

One last recommend - Project Eden (PC). The game itself is a first/third person action adventure with puzzles, set in a futuristic megapolis where you control a squad of future-equivalent swat team. It's a bit cliche story-wise, and the level design is kinda barebones, but it makes it up for its shortcomings with sheer atmosphere, mixing tech-noir/cyberpunk with some light horror elements. The game's strongest suit, however, is its technical achievements; once the initial loading is done, any subsequent game load happens instantly. Even on machines from that time period (2001). How that was achieved, I've no idea. But it's awesome.

Also, currently I'm doing a playthrough of Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising (PC), which is another excellent blast from the past, genre-defying game.

Regards,
Sagacious