Looking for some retro titles to play.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Bought a steam deck yesterday, and now I'm in the mood for emulating some oldies. I've got everything set up, I'm only looking for some goodies to play. Any suggestions? Here is what platform I am able to emulate:
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Gameboy
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Nintendo 64
  • GameCube
  • Dreamcast
  • PSP
  • PSX
  • PS2
  • DS/3DS
  • Switch
Here are the games I'm already written up to play, in no particular order (when I have time):
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario World
  • Pokemon Yellow
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Persona 5
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Sonic 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Here are some series I am NOT interested in:
  • Final Fantasy
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metroid
  • Mega Men
  • Tomb Raider
  • James Bond
  • Animal Crossing

Any titles suggested would be appreciated; no need for any links or whatnot; I can source them myself~ :blob_hide:

Tsuru

THE GOD OF THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !

TETRIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding, half kidding though =p
Somehow Tetris kinda feels like the "Mushoku Tensei" of games.
Not the first, but the best one that helped promulgate the "genre".

Tsuru

N64.

Serious recommendation.
There is a RPG that is quite unknown but oh boi it is quite very good but didn't get attention, it's "Sky of arcadia"
It was rpg on dreamcast, but had a "remake?" on N64.
Not bc of the theme of "floating islands" but this game is kinda my "Laputa" of my youth. By that i mean : [You finish it and somehow you feel your heart turning empty and full of sadness for no reason = just like watching Laputa movie]

Tsuru

Compared to nowadays games, this game "Sky of arcadia" could rival the old other IPs like Suikuden, FF, etc
bc it had a very original plot, solid gameplay, good animeish looks, characters likeable. Waifus...........COUGH i mean "very pretty female teammates".
Drama.
Very old but forever likeable "cliches" = a crazy scientist enemy, a stoic enemy (well 2), a rich 2nd generation dude that act arrogant without knowing that in fact he is a clown and very weak, a old man teammate that lost his son, LOST CIVILIZATION, subquest with stories that are mindblowing or worth crying, THE ART !!!!!! a rich and powerful enemy country that don't care of environment and bullying the poors with a big ghetto, a "dandy" teammate (that try to escape a woman that have a big crush on him that use all her strength to chase him, forcing him to use all kind of tactics to escape), old school puzzle dungeons, hidden stuffs, a "macho" enemy general with muscles, sealed gigantic enemies that SOMEHOW are unsealed despite your goal to make sure they stayed sealed = RPG rule number XX that i forgot lol, ASIAN STYLE TOWN, a tavern boss woman that wait for her husband that never returned (you can find him and they get back together => he lost his memory and stuck in a place where only your "ship" is safe), over the top "super attacks"

Fina btw make a cameo in Valkyria Chronicles.
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg

Favorite image of my favorite side character:

Screenshot_3.jpg

Heck now i think about it.
Could have been a very epic success if : 1) it wasnt publish right before the end of the life of N64 popularity
2) if it had Final Fantasy in it's title hence catching the attention of gamers

Corty

@Tsuru

Wait, the medic was a cameo in VC? Huh. Now I am totally putting it first on the list. The VC series is one of my favs; I got my PSP fixed just to play the 2nd game that was exclusive to it, lol.

Corty

@Omnifarious Should I get a ROM or go for the HD remaster on steam? Knowing that sometimes these "remasters" are... not as nice... *looking at you, Heroes 3*

Tsuru

@Tsuru

Wait, the medic was a cameo in VC? Huh. Now I am totally putting it first on the list. The VC series is one of my favs; I got my PSP fixed just to play the 2nd game that was exclusive to it, lol.
Happy that my "hard work" helped the game jump high in rankings xD

But sad that it's proof, "how much unknown unpopular" the game is T~T
i guess the blame is on nintendo going "Wii" route on consoles hence killing RPG studios to continue to stay on the boat

but wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I THINK I HEARD A WHILE AGO THAT SKY OF ARCADIA WILL GET AN ADAPTATION ON SWITCH !!! Not kidding !!!!!!

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Superman 64 just to experience pure pain.
But Mario 64 is probably a good one, especially if you've never played it. It's one of my favourite Mario games next to the Mario Galaxy series.

EVO: Search for Eden (SNES) -> probably one of the best sci-fi rpg story i've played on snes, especially if you looked up hidden plots.
Kirby Superstar (SNES) -> quite relaxing platformer in spring breeze mode, but i kinda quit it at higher star stages
Mother 1, 2, 3 (SNES, GBA) -> i highly enjoyed all series. good if you're interested in rpg with surreal elements.
Pacman Adventures (SNES) -> you use the slingshot everywhere for interesting developments instead of controlling the pacman. I played it back then and it's really fun.
Legend of Mana (PSX) -> extensive crafting system and lots of interesting plotlines
Vagrant Story (PSX) -> it has so much in-depth mechanism for psx game, also extensive crafting system as well
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (PSX) -> my introduction to JoJo series. It's probably still my most favorite fighting game due to its variety of mini games, cool movesets and nice storytelling to boot.
Fear Effect (PSX) -> it was an interesting action game with a nice story.

I haven't personally played it, but Xenogears for PSX was dubbed to be one of the best games.

though my personal favorite of them all is gotta be EVO. it made me love the sci-fi genre a lot. the mother series is also my fav.

Corty

@gaylolis Thanks~ Especially the PSX titles, I am always at a loss with those, I totally skipped that console. And looking back, many PSX graphics turn me off, the early 3D graphics can be pretty rough and they hurt my eyes with the PSX's texture morphing or tearing or whatever that effect's name is.

MrPopocap

Bought a steam deck yesterday, and now I'm in the mood for emulating some oldies. I've got everything set up, I'm only looking for some goodies to play. Any suggestions? Here is what platform I am able to emulate:
  • NES
  • SNES
  • Gameboy
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Nintendo 64
  • GameCube
  • Dreamcast
  • PSP
  • PSX
  • PS2
  • DS/3DS
  • Switch
Here are the games I'm already written up to play, in no particular order (when I have time):
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Super Mario World
  • Pokemon Yellow
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Persona 5
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Sonic 2
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Here are some series I am NOT interested in:
  • Final Fantasy
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metroid
  • Mega Men
  • Tomb Raider
  • James Bond
  • Animal Crossing

Any titles suggested would be appreciated; no need for any links or whatnot; I can source them myself~ :blob_hide:
You put Persona 5 in there so you already know the style of the game, so I recomend all games of the Persona franchise. All of them, expect 4 ( I think) and 5, is from the PS2, so you can play. You will not regret it!

The old games of the RE ( Resident Evil) franchise are also interessant to play if you haven't.

Dragon Ball Budokai too, if youre interested in the anime. Best game of the PS2 is Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Anyone who says otherwise never played it.

Shadow of Colossus and ICO are classics of the PS2 that I also recomend.

There are many more, but this should be enough to keep you entertained for a few weeks, if not months!