Lower the score in retaliation for killing a character

Agentt

Thighs
Then write a fanfic that accomplishes that.
But that has nothing to do with the original point of discussion or the anime in question.

The setting in Youjo Senki is how it is because that was needed for the story the author wanted to tell. If you want to tell a different story, then use a different setting, that fits your story. Nobody forces you to go with a certain setting.
So pick your story and change your setting until it fits the story you want to tell...

But we are already way off the topic, so I'll end it here for now and go back to writing.
Well, it was just an example. If I were writing a fanfic, I could use the fame of Youjo Senki as a gore anime to write whatever setting I want. Not while writing an original. My point was just that there can be a situation where one wants to write a dark work with a light hearted opening
But, yes, we are a bit off to the point. I wish @RedHunter2296 a good luck.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
But that is the point. YOU are the author. YOU decide, what happens and how to display it. The author of Youjo Senki wanted a certain theme and tone to his story, so he didn't begin it with "she is chosen by god". Exactly that is my point.
hell, Carlo Zen really sets it up to counter expectations like that while also making it clear that the world is crapsack and shit will hit the fan... a lot.

LinMeili

Haha, it reminds me of when the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire came out and
Ned Stark died at the end
people were ENRAGED that the author killed the "main character" and called the book and saga a total failure...
Um, no that didn't happen. In fact, people loved it. You can search the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. Sort by oldest and you'll see no one was enraged. 👀 I've been reading the series for decades. The tone of the series is so dark that a death or two or three wouldn't be a surprise. One of the POV characters already got thrown out of a window and crippled by that time.

A.P.R.L.

Um, no that didn't happen. In fact, people loved it. You can search the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. Sort by oldest and you'll see no one was enraged. 👀 I've been reading the series for decades. The tone of the series is so dark that a death or two or three wouldn't be a surprise. One of the POV characters already got thrown out of a window and crippled by that time.
Ehm... I've been reading since it was first published too, and there was outrage. There were good reviews of course, but there were also those who said they wouldn't read it ever again. And it wasn't because someone died, as you said the theme was pretty clear, it was because the "main character" died that people got angry.

Edit: I searched Amazon and Goodreads... the oldest reviews I could find were from 2003, which I expected, though to be sure the outrage was in 1996 when the first book came out and there was no second book yet... people considerably calmed down afterwards.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

Wow didn't know A Song of Ice and Fire was that old. thought it was only decade ago..then again that's basing off when the tv series started but not the actual books so idk...

A.P.R.L.

Wow didn't know A Song of Ice and Fire was that old. thought it was only decade ago..then again that's basing off when the tv series started but not the actual books so idk...
Old... haha... if you say it like that I feel old too... :sweating_profusely:

Localforeigner

But it seems that some of the readers who have been following my story very closely simply lowered the grade for that very reason. As always without comment on why the low grade.

If they didn't comment on the grade, how do you know this is what caused it? While it certainly might be, there could be other reasons.