Made a book cover for my story . Would appreciate any feedback

patbateman123x

Hi! I made a poster for my novel in the artstyle of Persona . Well my friend did most of it anyways i only helped with the sketch since i am no good with art . The point of the cover was to showcase the mc's two sides .One where he is bound to his past trauma and the other where he is trying to break free . The novel's name is Breaking the Masquerade so i thought it was kinda fitting .I'd appreciate any feedback . link to the book to better understand https://www.scribblehub.com/series/482143/breaking-the-masquerade/
720p.jpg

Last edited:

patbateman123x

The thing is, you will probably have to crop your cover. 250x350 pixels is recommended for SH covers. I don't fully understand what that means, but maybe your lawyer will help? @Agentt, does it mean that the cover should be cropped?
oh i see . Will this work ?

Attachments

• 21312.jpg
    21312.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 34

SailusGebel

I've already said that I'm not sure if you must crop it or not. Someone else will probably clear this misunderstanding so wait a bit.

As for the looks, the poster version is okay and somewhat stylish, but the cropped version is understandably lackluster and dull.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Go to canva, my good man. It will take out all the guesswork from making your book covers. Just pick 'novel cover' from the many templates it has.

Though if you were to ask about graphics, Ai-chan would say give it a full face, including the forehead and the ahoge. It will be much easier to decide when you make the cover.

patbateman123x

t
I like it a lot
ty! I appreciate it
Go to canva, my good man. It will take out all the guesswork from making your book covers. Just pick 'novel cover' from the many templates it has.

Though if you were to ask about graphics, Ai-chan would say give it a full face, including the forehead and the ahoge. It will be much easier to decide when you make the cover.
i ll check it out . I personally want to make something that's relevant to the story .Since I've already designed my mc it makes the work a lot easier .And thanks for the feedback

CypherTails

Also try to put some text on it, if not it may come across as some lazy attempt to slap a picture as a cover and call it a day.

Book covers usually have text. Ai Chan's covers are decent examples.

patbateman123x

Also try to put some text on it, if not it may come across as some lazy attempt to slap a picture as a cover and call it a day.

yeah i totally missed that .Thanks for pointing it out!

CypherTails

Oh yes one more thing, try to emulate the covers and title style of the genre of your novel.

Like if "Why do all the girls like me? Is it because I'm a demon?" is your title it will scream jap style light novel. If your title is "Stellar Odyssey" people may think sci fi. The same is true for covers, romance novels have one style, motivational books have one style and jap light novels have one style. If you deviate too far people may go in with incorrect expectations and your actual target audience may not check out your novel in the first place. People most certainly do judge books by their covers.

it's why baked bean cans don't look like soda cans. If Heinz baked beans makes a can that looks like a soda can, people won't think Heinz changed the can shape, they will think Heinz made a soda.

patbateman123x

boiled it down to something like this for now . For now ill just stick with it maybe adding his maid to the next cover would work wonders for me haha
Oh yes one more thing, try to emulate the covers and title style of the genre of your novel.

Like if "Why do all the girls like me? Is it because I'm a demon?" is your title it will scream jap style light novel. If your title is "Stellar Odyssey" people may think sci fi. The same is true for covers, romance novels have one style, motivational books have one style and jap light novels have one style. If you deviate too far people may go in with incorrect expectations and your actual target audience may not check out your novel in the first place. People most certainly do judge books by their covers.

it's why baked bean cans don't look like soda cans. If Heinz baked beans makes a can that looks like a soda can, people won't think Heinz changed the can shape, they will think Heinz made a soda.
I see , this was really insightful . Thank u for pointing it out . I call mine Breaking the Masquerade hence the cover showing two sides of the protagonist . As for the story well its just a highschool story about the mc trying to come to terms with his past by making new friends and stuff and he is eccentric af (for story reasons i haven't gone into yet) but the mc is based on a fav character of mine Kazami Yuuji and a few other inspirations .On surface level they boil down to jack of all trades , but broken individuals under all the playfulness and wit .That was what i was going for . The story has romance but its a slow burn and i showcased most of the chemistry via dialogue since i have introduced just a few characters and they haven't spent enough together yet although his trusted maid and him have gone all the way , well she is the only thing keeping him together is why i tagged it romance in the first .The first few chapters are very light hearted with some drip feeding of trauma so i wondering if my cover doesn't go well with the first impressions so should i go for a more light hearted and vibrant theme?
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/482143/breaking-the-masquerade/ here is a link to the book.It's a short read and if you have time i hope u give it a shot and have fun reading it .I just hope the cover showcases what i am trying to convey . Mind you though the mc is a big flirt so keep that in mind

Attachments

• abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

CypherTails

boiled it down to something like this for now . For now ill just stick with it maybe adding his maid to the next cover would work wonders for me haha

I see , this was really insightful . Thank u for pointing it out . I call mine Breaking the Masquerade hence the cover showing two sides of the protagonist . As for the story well its just a highschool story about the mc trying to come to terms with his past by making new friends and stuff and he is eccentric af (for story reasons i haven't gone into yet) but the mc is based on a fav character of mine Kazami Yuuji and a few other inspirations .On surface level they boil down to jack of all trades , but broken individuals under all the playfulness and wit .That was what i was going for . The story has romance but its a slow burn and i showcased most of the chemistry via dialogue since i have introduced just a few characters and they haven't spent enough together yet although his trusted maid and him have gone all the way , well she is the only thing keeping him together is why i tagged it romance in the first .The first few chapters are very light hearted with some drip feeding of trauma so i wondering if my cover doesn't go well with the first impressions so should i go for a more light hearted and vibrant theme?
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/482143/breaking-the-masquerade/ here is a link to the book.It's a short read and if you have time i hope u give it a shot and have fun reading it .I just hope the cover showcases what i am trying to convey . Mind you though the mc is a big flirt so keep that in mind
Perhaps in that case you could reflect the light heartedness and the darker undertones in the cover. Because right now the cover just looks bleak so when you read the light heartedness right at the start there might be some dissonance. The initial impact of the story matters too so by making the first impression to be light hearted but yet something feels a little off in the cover might lead to setting the mood you want without letting the sudden dark turn seem out of nowhere. You should allude to these things before they happen, dramatic changes need a bit of set up.

I actually have an example of something like this, because I was drafting a story similar in tone to yours. Basically beautiful exterior but dark interior.

1651330018865.png

So the idea for this cover was to seem off at first glance. The Psychedelics title text that almost hurts the eyes and the crimson blood contrasting with the cheerful greens, yellows and blues. Even the title reflects it subconsciously, which is that Dreams can be good and bad but friends are usually good. So the blood is under the dreams. Most people won't pick it up but by alluding to things, the mind can pick up things subconsciously. It won't work for all your readers but it will work for some.

PS. I may check out your book later, but I don't have the time now.

patbateman123x

Perhaps in that case you could reflect the light heartedness and the darker undertones in the cover. Because right now the cover just looks bleak so when you read the light heartedness right at the start there might be some dissonance. The initial impact of the story matters too so by making the first impression to be light hearted but yet something feels a little off in the cover might lead to setting the mood you want without letting the sudden dark turn seem out of nowhere. You should allude to these things before they happen, dramatic changes need a bit of set up.

I actually have an example of something like this, because I was drafting a story similar in tone to yours. Basically beautiful exterior but dark interior.

View attachment 13740

So the idea for this cover was to seem off at first glance. The Psychedelics title text that almost hurts the eyes and the crimson blood contrasting with the cheerful greens, yellows and blues. Even the title reflects it subconsciously, which is that Dreams can be good and bad but friends are usually good. So the blood is under the dreams. Most people won't pick it up but by alluding to things, the mind can pick up things subconsciously. It won't work for all your readers but it will work for some.

PS. I may check out your book later, but I don't have the time now.
wow ! that is an excellent cover my friend ! I think i understand what u mean . The dialogue in my story is fairly light hearted for the most part in conversations while i make the protag spout out his twisted opinion on things some of the times making his exterior seem more than it is .I'll make a cover to showcase the dichotomy better . For now you are right it looks too bleak .

Agentt

Thighs
The thing is, you will probably have to crop your cover. 250x350 pixels is recommended for SH covers. I don't fully understand what that means, but maybe your lawyer will help? @Agentt, does it mean that the cover should be cropped?
Nope, SH does the resize for you, at an expense of a lil bit of quality.