Making The Worst Possible MC

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Relatable MCs in fiction are a must if you want to engage readers. They're the cornerstone of a good story, the point of view that grounds an entire narrative, and making a good MC is essential to a finely-crafted narrative. So... instead of like, doing a good job: let's throw all logic into the fire and make a fucking demonic chuunibyou harem-magnet edgelord NEET mary-sue that eats souls for breakfast and can only communicate through UwUs and OwOs.

If you feel up to the challenge, I'd like to see what you think would be the core traits of the worst possible MCs that you can muster - the components that build up most unrelatable, repulsive, or absurd characters that your mind can create. Feel free to go wild with it. I want to see true insanity, that's what this thread is all about!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Relatable MCs in fiction are a must if you want to engage readers. They're the cornerstone of a good story, the point of view that grounds an entire narrative, and making a good MC is essential to a finely-crafted narrative. So... instead of like, doing a good job: let's throw all logic into the fire and make a fucking demonic chuunibyou harem-magnet edgelord NEET mary-sue that eats souls for breakfast and can only communicate through UwUs and OwOs.

If you feel up to the challenge, I'd like to see what you think would be the core traits of the worst possible MCs that you can muster - the components that build up most unrelatable, repulsive, or absurd characters that your mind can create. Feel free to go wild with it. I want to see true insanity, that's what this thread is all about!

I am not sure. Many successful and engaging stories point to the contrary, that relatable MCs are not a must.

Polarize4777

In my opinion the core traits of a horrible and un-enjoyable main character is the part where they are always going "EVERYTHING IS ABOUT ME!!!". The plot seem to revolve around them, and them only. They can do anything with zero effort, and pretty much the spot light is always around them. Lacking any filter when they speak, and do hypocritical shit that just outright trigger you with rage. Also the valiant fuckers with their ideals and moral clouding their judgment to believe their action will always lead to a great result that will resolve all issues. I guess I just hate mary sue MC and the one that are selfish with nonredeemable acts that make you question why they are even the main character when a side character could have done a better job.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

there's never truly tier list of hatable MCs. sometimes it isn't even the MC itself but the way the MC is handled. Rey from nuStar Wars is fucking ridiculous not because of her personality (she had none to start with) but how her character and existence itself is the epitome of a Mary Sue. Everything she does is effortlessly successful and doesn't show a tad bit of invested energy into actually getting better. She is just better than everyone else on the get go.

Then you have the MCs you just dislike because of their personality. They're not always unintentional (Jason Brody from FarCry 3 is an example, I like his character, but if he gets a canon death i wouldn't be crying over him), but most of them are pretty fucken daft. Examples include the nearest harem novel you could pick up. 7/10 chances are he's/she's fucking annoying and has sex revolving around his head 24/7.

ShrimpShady

Opens up the first chapter quoting Nietzsche before asking a philosophical question about whether or not humans are born equal or something.

Kldran

I feel like successfully making a truly terrible main character, without also making a terrible story to accompany it, would result in the intended main character not actually being the main character. Instead of a story about a hero saving the day, it'd be about how the hero's companion somehow prevented the hero from failing despite the hero's obvious lack of sense.

I'm now wondering what would happen if a story gave the main character a different personality and skill set for every chapter. Start with the differences being small, then as the story goes on the changes get bigger and bigger until readers start complaining and asking what is going on.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
@Kldran, that's an interesting and mote realistic take on how transmigrators or body possessions could be written. Gradual instead of overnight personality changes.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
@Kldran, that's an interesting and mote realistic take on how transmigrators or body possessions could be written. Gradual instead of overnight personality changes.
the thought of staying immortal through constantly switching host bodies would be interesting. the soul will never die, but i will be poisoned until it is laid to rest.

--MON--

never write a story with the jp novels as your influence since it will make your story undesirable.

you see villain or antihero mc are never meant to be together with romcom harem echii neet (neet is possible) incest soft and easily flustered character.

they don't mix like oil and water, this will make your character change personalities every few chapters which is worse. you are making a worst possible mc not a worst possible story.

Last edited: