Manga is better than anime, Prove me wrong.

Daichi

I will say Mangas are 100 times better than anime. They have in depth stories and you can feel the emotion that the protagonist is experiencing. In short they are best media of entertainment.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I will say Mangas are 100 times better than anime. They have in depth stories and you can feel the emotion that the protagonist is experiencing. In short they are best media of entertainment.
Check my math!

Light Novels/ Original Literature is greater than Mangas but Mangas is greater than Animes.

It's rare for me to see good animes nowadays unlike years before. Anyway, its my opinion :blobtaco:

Zoey

Mustachu
While I won't disagree with you, one thing anime has over manga is music, because you really can't have music in manga(at least not that I know of).

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
For certain values, manga is better than anime. Just like for certain values, LNs are better than manga.

When you judge for certain values, something is always better than something else. It's all relative.

NCKZMA

I'd say it depends on the quality, and they vary both in anime and manga. Sometimes the manga may have good art while anime not so much which does affect the feel. I'd still say the manga is the better medium because it's generally more in-depth.

well that's probably why anime was made in the first place: to promote the source material.

though sometimes i wonder if that's why they made shitty adaptations in the first place

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Comparing medium is a waste of time. They each have their strength and weakness and most of the time it's just a matter of preference.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Comparing medium is a waste of time. They each have their strength and weakness and most of the time it's just a matter of preference.
I agree with Alverost~

Novels are good because they can go a lot into the character's mind.
Mangas are good because they have art, but still give you time to go through things and appreciate each individual panel.
Animes are good because they're very fluid and vivid, while also having a soundtrack that can accompany the occurrences.

Each of them have their pros and cons. Back when I was younger I was really into novels, but nowadays I'm mostly into Original Mangas and Original Animes. I just love them for what they do and how they use their medium to the fullest~

Idol animes in particular just feel so so soooooo much better than Idol Mangas~

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
I have logical methods for the consumption of entertainment when it comes to the 4 sources of all goodness.

The 4 sources of all goodness.
(1) LNs, Webnovels
(2) Manga, Manhwa
(3) Anime, Movies
(4) Visual Novels, Games

It all comes down to entertainment efficiency and utility. I only have so much lifespan. There are already more stories than I can consume in my lifetime. New stories are always coming out at a rate much faster than I can ever catch up to. Therefore, I favour the medium that will allow me to digest the entertainment I crave in the most efficient way possible. But it's pointless to just focus on speed if the quality drops off. Therefore, both time efficiency and quality are entangled factors that determine what entertainment I consume.

Various series are often adapted to other mediums so a person has to choose which medium they want to read/watch/play the entertainment in. Most often the original format of the entertainment is the best. It hasn't been altered, adulterated, truncated, or subjected to budget limitations.

Anime is an expensive endeavour to produce. Usually, a story is never created as an anime first. It is usually adapted from an already popular book, game, or manga. This is for profit reasons. Anime are usually subject to budget restrictions that directly effect the quality of the final product in a negative way. But when an adaptation is done well it truly is a superior product to manga because manga is a storyboard art style that attempts to approximate motion picture.

Manga and anime can be consumed at roughly the same rate. What I mean is that if you spend 1 hour watching anime or 1 hour reading manga you might find yourself roughly in the same point in the story. Well, rates can vary by person. I favour the fastest way to consume the entertainment first. As I go I assess my personal opinion on how much I like the series, premise, or concept. If I find myself truly interested then I will look at the other mediums the series has be produced in and assess their qualities. After that point it's a balancing act between preference, quality, and time efficiency. I need to figure out which medium will produce the maximum entertainment value per unit time!

Adaptations to any other format from the original format always have problems. Problems due to budget and interpretation. I've already mentioned budget, but not interpretation. The producers who are adapting the media have their own interpretation and vision for the work (eg. character design, plot, and pacing), which may not be the same interpretation as the audience. Thus some people become very unhappy because the adapted product does not correspond to the interpretation they developed in their minds from the original.

Here is a major point in favour of Manga, Manhwa, LNs, Webnovels, Visual Novels, and Games over anime. Anime usually is mainstream media that has to be tailored to a more general audience. There are so many stories that would never be published on as anime and movies because of themes being unsuitable for audiences or profit concerns. The other formats of entertainment can get away with plots, characters, themes, premises, and content that motion picture cannot. So you can find a lot more selection and extreme variety outside of anime. The anime version isn't better than the manga version if it doesn't exist.

Zoey

Mustachu
Please try webtoons
I was more referring to musical timing than music in general. I know that there are web comics with music but they lack the timing of anime. (or really any video, though that's a bit off topic)