Monoatomic edge clash

What will happen

• Total voters

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
The reason why swords/ blades can "bite" into each others' edges is because the force of collision is focused on the small point when two lines (the thin sword edge) intersect, resulting in deformation of one or both swords and thus they interlocked. If the edge his the flat, it will slide off instead because line to plane.

So assuming both swords in this case are one atom thick (sharpness is MAXed) and the strike will have them land edge to edge. I am proposing three scenarios:

1. Edge biting
2. Cleavage of one sword, as one edge is inferior and thus get cleaved through.
3. Both swords break.

Leave your vote and reason.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Alternatively, since they're literally one atom wide, the blades fall apart in the wind when swung. If they reach, they snap into each other, resulting in option C.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I'm glad to hear this! I got in an argument with a dipshit a year or two ago about that. He was all, "I can just pull the sword off my wall and stop an intruder without any training."
I have a buddy who cut his shin deeply with the chinese saber because he positioned his legs wrong during practice, he had done it for three years and all it took was a distraction. That guy you argued with is a moron.

Stances and edge alighment are important, does that guy think that he is swinging a iron club?

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Stances and edge alighment are important, does that guy think that he is swinging a iron club?
Literally look at any Iaijutsu video. The beginners can barely go through one target while the master can go through several because of their good alignment and steadiness. Moron indeed.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
1 sword breaks, because of the material. The harder one survives.
Seriously though, assuming that they are made from atomically identical material, they would just slide off each other. It would be akin to two pipes colliding.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
2, unless their the same material and hit at the same angle against each other. in which case it depends on their hardness and level of force applied.

LesserSarcasm

You end up with 2 swords sliced in 2, but really its not the monomolecular egde it the friction with the rest of the blade that will prevent the cut so it depends on what method you have to reduce friction otherwise both sword will bite into each other

assuming both matetial are the same, they can't cut through each other. if there's an edge(the whole thing isnt one atom wide) then depending on the force, the swords might bite into each other ( 1 molecule is chipped in both), or they'd just bounce off/slide.

TotallyHuman

Wouldn't they just wobble? They aren't even swords at this points, more like membranes or strings

BigHoodieBoy

I have no idea how accurate this is, but it if something is that thin yet that sharp I would say The swords are so sharp they cut atoms so both swordsman die in the explosion.

Yes, but watching mahouka I saw a graphene blade, so shit still works.

Just pretend it is stiff.
Obsidian can get to 1 molecule of sharpness, or as close to it as an edge could. If you make it as hard as steel then you'd have two very sharp swords.

Kenjona

I'm glad to hear this! I got in an argument with a dipshit a year or two ago about that. He was all, "I can just pull the sword off my wall and stop an intruder without any training."
He is not wrong entirely, just he will have to hope the other guy is also untrained and unarmed. You can hit/stab someone with a sword untrained, you just won't get as good of an effect as even minimal training on how to hold and swing a sword would give you. And yes you a danger to yourself. :)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
This is kinda a stupid question.
Well this question stems from a brainfart from Legion of Nothing.
Obsidian can get to 1 molecule of sharpness, or as close to it as an edge could. If you make it as hard as steel then you'd have two very sharp swords.
Yeah, that's the point. I want to see what ideas people have about two very sharp edges smacking one another.
He is not wrong entirely, just he will have to hope the other guy is also untrained and unarmed. You can hit/stab someone with a sword untrained, you just won't get as good of an effect as even minimal training on how to hold and swing a sword would give you. And yes you a danger to yourself. :)
I think the danger to himself part is worse. And no, a gun does not make it better, I rather you get a baton or baseball bat. Works just as threatening and in the event of things going south, you are less likely to hurt yourself.

Unarmed... really, in a home invasion scenario, do you dare to picture that person is unarmed? Even if he has a small dagger, that still makes him dangerous.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I have a buddy who cut his shin deeply with the chinese saber because he positioned his legs wrong during practice, he had done it for three years and all it took was a distraction. That guy you argued with is a moron.

An iron club is a far superior weapon. It's almost as good as a stick.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
If the swords are one atom thick that would fall apart
Iirc that's how thin the edge actuall is. And in fact is how it cuts. Cuz its it's so thin that it separates atoms or something. I remember this from watching a video about Wolverine's claws and why the girl from Logan would have better cutting power due to her having two claws instead of three like Wolverine's.

The video went into detail on exactly what "cutting" actually is.