Motivation is dog shit

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Motivation is dog shit

This is a bold statement, but I believe it to be true. There is no point to passion if it's going to be an undirected energy that you cannot continge upon. Leaving your success up to your passions, an uncontrollable factor can do good for you, but more than likely the bads of passion will outweigh the goods. To leave yourself to be dominated by your passions essentially allows a stranger to live your life in place of you. If you are going to be dominated by the mysterious magic of passion, you aren't going to live a good life.

Instead of walking blindly down a dark path, you should recognize that the only way for you to truly write or to truly succeed at anything is to embed discipline and consistency into your life. You should embed the fact that you write 2000 words everyday into who you are, and recognize that the only thing you can do is to choose to write those 2000 words, or to put it away. You are solely the creator of your action, but never the creator of your legacy. The only thing that you can do in life is to choose your action, but this in of itself is a superpower, one which grows stronger when you realize it. You can never control the reactions of others, you can never control the world, but you can change your life for the better.

Aaqil

Cookies!
Motivation is dog shit

This is a bold statement, but I believe it to be true. There is no point to passion if it's going to be an undirected energy that you cannot continge upon. Leaving your success up to your passions, an uncontrollable factor can do good for you, but more than likely the bads of passion will outweigh the goods. To leave yourself to be dominated by your passions essentially allows a stranger to live your life in place of you. If you are going to be dominated by the mysterious magic of passion, you aren't going to live a good life.

Instead of walking blindly down a dark path, you should recognize that the only way for you to truly write or to truly succeed at anything is to embed discipline and consistency into your life. You should embed the fact that you write 2000 words everyday into who you are, and recognize that the only thing you can do is to choose to write those 2000 words, or to put it away. You are solely the creator of your action, but never the creator of your legacy. The only thing that you can do in life is to choose your action, but this in of itself is a superpower, one which grows stronger when you realize it. You can never control the reactions of others, you can never control the world, but you can change your life for the better.
I am confused, I don't see how one's motivation to accomplish something goes against this, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:

Ilikewaterkusa

I am confused, I don't see how one's motivation to accomplish something goes against this, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:
Motivation can be helpful in helping one do stuff, but it’s unreliable and uncertain. It would be more reliable to rely on discipline and consistent action, than random sparks of motivation.

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
Motivation is dog shit

I have too much motivation that I someone even told me that I was an idiot (for writing new series after new series). You know it. :blob_nom:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Discipline and consistent action are the best means to achieve goals with clearly definable methods you know you are, and especially will be, standing behind.

If you are intent to use them exclusively, it exchanges the whim of passion for the rigid brace of a you long past. "Who you are" is put to question many times throughout life. The less a determination matches with how you developed, the faster it will end up discarded, more often than not with everything attached.

That is not even to say that the time you did invest before that point was necessarily well spent. There are many things to write 2000 words about and many ways to go about it. And none I know of make you a better writer on their own.

You need discipline to achieve milestones, but passion and motivation to continue to set them.

Ilikewaterkusa

Discipline and consistent action are the best means to achieve goals with clearly definable methods you know you are, and especially will be, standing behind.

If you are intent to use them exclusively, it exchanges the whim of passion for the rigid brace of a you long past. "Who you are" is put to question many times throughout life. The less a determination matches with how you developed, the faster it will end up discarded, more often than not with everything attached.

That is not even to say that the time you did invest before that point was necessarily well spent. There are many things to write 2000 words about and many ways to go about it. And none I know of make you a better writer on their own.

You need discipline to achieve milestones, but passion and motivation to continue to set them.
Not really. You don't neccesarily need passion or motivation of like a high magnitude, you just need to reduce the resistance of continuing and setting it

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Not really. You don't neccesarily need passion or motivation of like a high magnitude, you just need to reduce the resistance of continuing and setting it
If the goal you are trying to reach is one that can be reached with continuing alone.
Your example writing task is effective only if you invest thought into which topics and techniques you'd profit from practicing and reflect the results afterwards.
Without this continuous, voluntary effort, the discipline goes to waste.

Ilikewaterkusa

If the goal you are trying to reach is one that can be reached with continuing alone.
Your example writing task is effective only if you invest thought into which topics and techniques you'd profit from practicing and reflect the results afterwards.
Without this continuous, voluntary effort, the discipline goes to waste.
I have no idea what you are saying lol

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I have no idea what you are saying lol
Your point, as I understand it, only applies to goals that you can already know clearly definable steps to reaching it before you even start.
But writing any 2k words a day will quickly become pointless for improvement when you don't expend the effort to reflect on the errors in what you wrote and select your next piece accordingly. Neither of which seem readily quantifiable targets to me.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Passion or motivation isn't mandatory to aid someone with work, but it does help someone in unique, unquantifiable ways. You can see proofs of passion in supplementary forms such as a glossary, or a companion encyclopedia. The examples I've listed are not required to finish a complete series, but the fact that the author decided to implement them shows that they are passionate enough to deliver their audience more than what they bargained for. Imagine if Tolkien never wrote The Silmarillion, or the pages upon pages of just describing Middle Earth's civilizations and natures. He didn't need those to tell the stories in LOTR/Hobbit, but the fact that he did make his work and mythos all the more entertaining and mystical. Without passion, he would've been just another forgotten tombstone left dishevelled under some armpit ditch in the UK.

Discipline and consistency deliver the substance, but passion and motivation give it the style it needs to stand out. They exist somewhat symbiotically. Style without substance is shallow, but substance without style is dry. Motivation is technically "dog shit" and discardable if you want your story to read like a Popeye's biscuit.

To turn the discussion on its head, you CAN'T prove that you have no motivation if you're writing/posting your works here with any considerable quality. If you were to rely on consistency and discipline alone, you would've just written your stories as a bullet points list with no prose whatsoever. Why spend a paragraph describing someone's look or an object; descriptors are wasteful in terms of delivering the plot alone. If your webnovel doesn't read like a black box transcript from an aeroplane, I'd call you a hypocrite.

Let me put it this way: if you're writing a story just for the sake of writing a story, then yes, all you need is consistency and discipline. But if you want your story to be read and remembered for the considerable future, then passion and motivation for the craft would be necessary to retain a legacy.

You can say I'm talking out of my ass and that you don't need some trivial emotions to create a successful work, but considering that we're both posting unrecognized works on a site colloquially known as SmutHub, I'd say we two have just about similar credibilities to our words.