My Collection of Writing Quotes

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I keep a list of all the ideas and sayings that I think are meaningful, and I thought I'd post the ones related to art here to inspire people! Feel free to leave your own.

Rene Descartes
You just keep pushing, You just keep pushing. I made every mistake I could make. But I just kept pushing.

Shallan Devar
If you could explain everything perfectly, then you wouldn’t need art.

Henry Ford
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.

Sigmund Frued
One day, in retrospect, the years of struggling will strike you as the most beautiful.

Frank Herbert
Be prepared to appreciate what you meet.
You have square thoughts which resist circles.

Hoid
All people are musicians. The question is whether or not they share their songs.
Failure is the mark of a life well lived. In turn the only way to live a life without failure is to be of no use to anyone.
The only way to create something that nobody hates is to create something that can’t be loved.

Lee (East of Eden)
[P]eople are only interested in themselves. If a story is not about the hearer he will not listen. . . . The strange and foreign are not interesting-- only the deeply personal and familiar.

Arthur A. Milne
My spelling is wobbly. It's good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.

Brandon Sanderson
Don't worry that you aren't giving people what they want. Give them who you are, and let that be enough.

Quentin Tarantino
Make the movie that we have never seen, because you have never made it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
When you travel faster than light, all you can see is darkness
--some weeb on the internet.
Religion is like a penis. No one likes when you force it on them
--some meme I found years ago with a picture of an old lady holding a weenie

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
When you travel faster than light, all you can see is darkness
--some weeb on the internet.
Religion is like a penis. No one likes when you force it on them
--some meme I found years ago with a picture of an old lady holding a weenie
Mmmmm. Will not be adding these to my collection.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Life is always unpredictable. Expect getting raped a lot so be sure to bring lube just in case.

Its inappropriate to laugh at Dark Humor but no one would always love happy-lucky-events forever. The last laugh would always be those who are lucky than others.

Don't expect to be hit by a truck, thinking you'll be the same as those protagonist after reincarnating. You might ended up worse than you expect.

Don't expect someone higher than you to respect you when you can't even respect those under you. Humans don't respect ants so why should god respect humans?

I think thats some of the quotes I have since I prefer keeping some to myself.

LordJoyde

"Just because something is factually correct does not exclude it from also being unfathomably idiotic." - WH40K TTS, Rogal Dorn.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's better to regret the results than to regret the possibilities.

D

Deleted member 45782

This really didn't go the way I expected
Its good. I just don't really know and look up famous people quotes much so don't know much to share here too.

Aside from Bill Gate, who likes hiring lazy people bc they find all the smarter ways of getting things done so they don't have do much work. Or something like that idk.

D

Deleted member 45782

Don't listen to that voice always telling you that you're pathetic. Keep your chin up. Don't turn back. Keep moving forward, one step at a time.

Don't keep kicking yourself what's already been done and who to fault. Figure out how to fix and solve it the mess, then can look back at it later. The quicker you get over it and fix it, the quicker you can move on to do better.

Some of my favorites include:

Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it - Salvador Dali

One of my favorite surreal artists. I like this quote since it tells me the potential of art is infinite and when you feel you've reached the top, there's always a higher mountain up there.

Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your soul according to fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka

It inspired my writing a lot. Told me to never compromise on anything i believe is right.

When I read some of his quotes again, I feel that Kafka is like a millennial who's born 100 years too early, especially when he said about wanting to die.

The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable - Kurt Vonnegut

One of my inspiration to just make writing a hobby, since I couldn't bother writing for others.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it - Salvador Dali

One of my favorite surreal artists. I like this quote since it tells me the potential of art is infinite and when you feel you've reached the top, there's always a higher mountain up there.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your soul according to fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka

It inspired my writing a lot. Told me to never compromise on anything i believe is right.
I feel like these two quotes complete one another, with each one having the biggest potential to be an amateur writer's ultimate Achilles Heel if taken individually.

Dali's quote of perfection is great, but taken the wrong way however, will result in stagnation. Most people start out with the tallest of hopes and highest of dreams AND nothing else. They have no concept of sufficiency or finding content with their current progress while reaching further simultaneously. Given the wrong context, this quote might just enable a writer to just stay on their comfort zone and eventually, fall into a rut.

On the other side of the coin, Kafka gives the opposite of the message. Finding the inner self is true and all, but that obsession may cloud our judgement, giving way to ego. You'd end up like Onision and his own books; so into himself that he couldn't find his asshole with a mirror on a stick.

Dali reminds us that the concept of perfection, as stated, will never be attained. The ceiling doesn't exist. Artistry will only ever go as far as you'll persist, so forget the heavens, and keep reaching for the clouds. Kafka here tells us to NEVER stop reaching for said clouds. Making weight of it would only pull us down.