My little reading corner. Story feedback. Quality not assured. Opinions reign supreme.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
View attachment 23800
Pallium is different than a toga. But both were used by the Romans and Greeks. I don't disagree that there was a difference but both were common clothing types of similar garments used by both Greeks and Romans. If I said that the character wore a pallium then they would assume the Catholic band rather than the Greek garment. Toga is easier to identify due to it's commonality but both were very similar. Even history books often confuse/interchange the two because of how close in history and similarity they were.
Calling them similar is like comparing apples and pears. In the eyes of the unstudied layman, yes. In the eyes of someone versed in the classical arts, no. They are very different.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Calling them similar is like comparing apples and peers. In the eyes of the unstudied layman, yes. In the eyes of someone versed in the classical arts, no. They are very different.
Perhaps I need to do some more research on this but all I can find is that neither the toga nor pallium were Greek but different types of Roman dresswear as the Greeks used a much thinner garment due to it being hotter who's name I can't seem to find. So I concede this discussion for the time being. If you have any links to references on the Greek dresswear, I would appreciate it.

Verdante

The label "togata" was literally used by the ancient Roman authors to distinguish Roman theatre pieces from Greek ones.

Actors of Roman plays wore the toga. Actors of Greek plays wore the pallium. I leave it to your imagination how "Greek" the toga was.

Cosy cover. My weak spot are noble girl villainess novels.

Not a fan of POV indicators. I know people do them, but they are jarring, destroying my immersion every time and a sign - opinionated - of subpar writing skill.

Phoenix glanced at him and said, “no need.”

Capitalisation. Capitalisation.

He crouched back down into the car and mumbled an “okay.”

Excerpt quotations usually use single quotation marks. The double ones are for speech.

Go in, say hi, replace the flowers in the vase, scan Lilianna’s condition, and leave.

Not a fan of inner monologue, but good asyndeton.

Asyndeton is one of several rhetorical devices that omit conjunctions. The definition of asyndeton is simple enough: It is a sentence containing a series of words or clauses in close succession, linked without the use of conjunctions. To see an example of asyndeton in action, consider these two sentences.

Fluid and smooth. Mostly. Keep up your work and you will grow without fail. Especially, with your genre backing you.

Lilianna first met Phoenix at the age of 13. Phoenix was 15.

:blob_cookie: Sounds legal to me.

Phoenix tilted her head, her eyebrows furrowing. “Not you…”

Lilianna breathed a sigh of relief, the glint in her eyes returned. “Good, because I like you.”

She smiled, humming to the soft jazz playing in the background.

Phoenix’s face contorted as if she had never heard those words before. “Why?”

Eager birds here. A bit too unsubtle the approach.

-

Not a fan of slice of life, but I won't judge. It is a valid approach and I see the route you are going. It has merits, although I appreciate some purpose in my novel. I wish you luck.
Thank you!! I used to not have POV indicators, but I'm worried people won't notice which POV they're currently on haha :blob_sweat:

Assurbanipal_II

Perhaps I need to do some more research on this but all I can find is that neither the toga nor pallium were Greek but different types of Roman dresswear as the Greeks used a much thinner garment due to it being hotter who's name I can't seem to find. So I concede this discussion for the time being. If you have any links to references on the Greek dresswear, I would appreciate it.
Pallium is the name it was given by the Romans in the later period, as they both adapted much from each other. The Greek term is himation.

You can tell by the ium ending alone. That is not Greek. Heck, Greek is not even Greek. It is a derived from Latin Graecus. Meanwhile, they called themselves Hellenoi.
Thank you!! I used to not have POV indicators, but I'm worried people won't notice which POV they're currently on haha :blob_sweat:
Screw them. :blob_neutral:

Paul_Tromba

Pallium is the name it was given by the Romans in the later period, as they both adapted much from each other. The Greek term is himation.

You can tell by the ium ending alone. That is not Greek. Heck, Greek is not even Greek. It is a derived from Latin Graecus. Meanwhile, they called themselves Hellenoi.

Screw them. :blob_neutral:
Yeah, Greece wasn't even all Greek. It was just a bunch of city states and because the of a city called Graia, every place that spoke the same language was mistakenly called Graia. This turned into Greece and it has fucked with historians for over 2k years. Though thank you for the term. I'll have to change that later when I get home. If possible, could I come to you for historical accuracy surrounding Rome and Greece in the future?

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
View attachment 23789
For inspiration. What you can theoretically do with words. The arrangement of words alone is an art form and writing technique in itself.
Sorry for the ot, but you reminded me of this splendid artwork by Carlo Carrà.

Assurbanipal_II

Yeah, Greece wasn't even all Greek. It was just a bunch of city states and because the of a city called Graia, every place that spoke the same language was mistakenly called Graia. This turned into Greece and it has fucked with historians for over 2k years. Though thank you for the term. I'll have to change that later when I get home. If possible, could I come to you for historical accuracy surrounding Rome and Greece in the future?
:blob_hide: You are welcome. You can contact me if you wish so. I will provide help within my capabilities. 5 years Greek and Latin.

Paul_Tromba

:blob_hide: You are welcome. You can contact me if you wish so. I will provide help within my capabilities. 5 years Greek and Latin.
Thank you. That's way more than I have. My friend has two years Greek and Latin but he's very bad at both.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
Can I try out? I only have a prologue and 2 chapters so far, <2k words each chapter as of the moment.

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
You gonna hate my novel lol, I don't put chapter numbers, only titles, willfully so by choice.

Gunshot_god

Ehem Would you like to give review to my new story with only two chapters so far ☺

patrick_lansing

General writing advice. Short chapters. Reader attention degrades severely after 2000 words. Some might endure 3000, but the attention span is usually lower.

So if you happen to be one of these dense authors with detailed descriptions and much rambling. Don't do it. Don't write long chapters. Just don't.

They are tedious to read. Especially, if must process much information. Unless you have a good sentence structure and know what you are doing, people will just have forgotten the entire chapter. You overload them.

All the long winded, well crafted descriptions. Nobody is going to read them, or rather nobody is going to retain them. Your word count goes wasted.

Thus, shorter chapters. They also impose a certain discipline.
Word! A hundred gazillion agrees of mine agree with you, great Mesopotamian ruler.

melchi

What is a custom title?
General writing advice. Short chapters. Reader attention degrades severely after 2000 words. Some might endure 3000, but the attention span is usually lower.

So if you happen to be one of these dense authors with detailed descriptions and much rambling. Don't do it. Don't write long chapters. Just don't.

They are tedious to read. Especially, if must process much information. Unless you have a good sentence structure and know what you are doing, people will just have forgotten the entire chapter. You overload them.

All the long winded, well crafted descriptions. Nobody is going to read them, or rather nobody is going to retain them. Your word count goes wasted.

Thus, shorter chapters. They also impose a certain discipline.
J chemist writing short chapters?! What is this?!