Mystics of the golden finger/ system lost.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So in Wizard: Knight's Breathing, the founding father of wizardry Sauron had finally confirmed that he was the one who gave MC Levi the level up system. I was already somewhat disappointed when it was hinted at the prospect and just accepted it when the "big reveal" finally happened.

To me, it is always a letdown to reveal the creator of the almighty system, feels like the omniscient thing becomes pathetic.

Solo Leveling the system is actually created by a lame third rate.

World's Best Martial Artist's system is made by Mr dumbass Crimson Scholar.

The reveal often serves little to no purpose other than to say "the plot thickens!" when the plot is runny as water.

Then there is Defiance of the Fall, which reveals the creator of the almighty LitRPG for all races in an early stage and it is just, meh. A dude plays god, very original, much wow.

This is more of a rant than discussion, I always prefer the mystery of the all powerful system to remain a mystery unless the reveal is awesome. But like dissecting a frog, once you cut it open to understand its true nature, the mystic is already dead.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
So in Wizard: Knight's Breathing, the founding father of wizardry Sauron had finally confirmed that he was the one who gave MC Levi the level up system. I was already somewhat disappointed when it was hinted at the prospect and just accepted it when the "big reveal" finally happened.

To me, it is always a letdown to reveal the creator of the almighty system, feels like the omniscient thing becomes pathetic.

Solo Leveling the system is actually created by a lame third rate.

World's Best Martial Artist's system is made by Mr dumbass Crimson Scholar.

The reveal often serves little to no purpose other than to say "the plot thickens!" when the plot is runny as water.

Then there is Defiance of the Fall, which reveals the creator of the almighty LitRPG for all races in an early stage and it is just, meh. A dude plays god, very original, much wow.

This is more of a rant than discussion, I always prefer the mystery of the all powerful system to remain a mystery unless the reveal is awesome. But like dissecting a frog, once you cut it open to understand its true nature, the mystic is already dead.
I think it may be possible to pull off, but I haven’t seen it done successfully…

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I think it may be possible to pull off, but I haven’t seen it done successfully…
Nah, I don't think it will actually be possible.

Right now I am reading a chinese novel with the same shit, but the twist is that the system is a trap and MC is the third person who got into it.

So the system is made by a martial god who failed to kill the cultivating devil. The system's sole purpose is to make a weapon to kill the devil. It then flown all over the multiverse trying to find candidates.

The first successful candidate took all the benefits from the system and fucked off.

So the system learnt to be harsh.

The second successful candidate was burnt by the lies from the system. As he was slowly lobotomized, he rebelled by splitting his soul into fragments and spending eons trying to destroy the system and is now trying to kill MC because of hatred.

The third successful candidate, MC, has to deal with all the bullshit and while he is grateful of the benefits by the system, without which he would already be dead from the very beginning, he is spiteful to be tasked with killing the devil while dealing with the ingrate and murderous second person.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Nah, I don't think it will actually be possible.

Right now I am reading a chinese novel with the same shit, but the twist is that the system is a trap and MC is the third person who got into it.

So the system is made by a martial god who failed to kill the cultivating devil. The system's sole purpose is to make a weapon to kill the devil. It then flown all over the multiverse trying to find candidates.

The first successful candidate took all the benefits from the system and fucked off.

So the system learnt to be harsh.

The second successful candidate was burnt by the lies from the system. As he was slowly lobotomized, he rebelled by splitting his soul into fragments and spending eons trying to destroy the system and is now trying to kill MC because of hatred.

The third successful candidate, MC, has to deal with all the bullshit and while he is grateful of the benefits by the system, without which he would already be dead from the very beginning, he is spiteful to be tasked with killing the devil while dealing with the ingrate and murderous second person.
I am thinking more in the sense of a comedy or a system creator/distributor story. It might work if it is revealed from the beginning with what the system is/who controls it. If I am not wrong this is what ‘Daddy’s Fantasy World Restaurant‘ did…

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I am thinking more in the sense of a comedy or a system creator/distributor story. It might work if it is revealed from the beginning with what the system is/who controls it. If I am not wrong this is what ‘Daddy’s Fantasy World Restaurant‘ did…
Humor huh?

Not at my alleyway, but maybe.

owotrucked

Chronic lecher masquerading as a writer
The reveal of the system of Legendary Mechanic was based. It was the result of efforts of countless ppl and generations trying to save the world

PancakesWitch

personal systems are fucking stupid most of the time, general system everyone has in a world are always better

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
The reveal of the system of Legendary Mechanic was based. It was the result of efforts of countless ppl and generations trying to save the world
Huh? Do you mean the chinese novel 超神机器师? I have no idea, considering I dropped it near the end.

TremendousHuman

Deleteriously devilish, deliciously dumbfounding
It can be done well. Something something lich's experimental log's system origin reveal was not intended to be some final endgame moment, far from it, and it then slotted neatly into the rest of the story. In quick transmigration stories the system's origin is generally revealed immediately and it's okay too, that's not what the story is even about. It all depends on the goals the plot device is made for.

J_Chemist

I think the inherent use of a system is broken in the first place in a story setting/style.

In MMOs, the system is used to track progress, provide constant challenge, and slowly guide you from Slime Killer to God Killer in an exponential curve of experience gain.

In stories, we see time and time again that this curve is either not followed properly, ignored, or a bias is made towards the MC to make them stand out. When, in reality, the MC is just another body in the grind machine. A proper story would have multiple characters leveling up, funneling towards the boss in an either cooperative or otherwise simultaneous manner to which, inevitably, they would be forced to work together as a party in some capacity (all roads lead to one).

Most stories utilizing systems don't like that and the authors go full retard to ensure their MC gets that special gold star. So, they write their story to give the MC some sort of boost, edge, or cheat ability to overcome the limits of the system. This leads to a lack of build up and developed tension, and the "aha!" moment really tends to fall on its face. The "Creators" are typically really boring, dull, or forcibly portrayed as maniacal/broken in some fashion to force there to be a villain to point at (SAO's creator), or it's some bullshit excuse to make the MC more special (such as Solo Leveling)

In essence, the villain is usually plain and recycled. The system is always twisted to fit the needs of the Main Snowflake. And the people/cast around them are generally dumbed down/crippled (or stunted entirely) to enhance the MC's growth.

It's bad writing and I hate it.

But I'm also a gullible dickhead who enjoys reading it from time to time.

Jerynboe

For a reveal like this to work the system needs to have a degree of character to it. It needs to have goals that have been hinted at, quirks that point at the true creator. Reveals in general need to be earned, and might be the storytelling mechanism easiest to screw up as far as I can tell. Execution needs to be pretty close to flawless.
“You, a mouse, are the creator of the system? No wonder I had a daily quest to kill one cat a day.”
My preference is definitely when the system’s purpose is made clear fairly early on. Or maybe you only think it’s purpose is clear, and everyone in story is working off of that assumption even as it slowly unravels to reveal the true purpose.
Or, if the system does favor the MC, WHY it favors him/her. I recently read a series called Dungeon Crawler Carl where the MC accidentally appealed to the system AI’s foot fetish. It makes him feel very uncomfortable to lean into it, but Carl gets thrown a bone from time to time. The AI is very much a character in that series.