Named chapters, yes or no?

IllyasArt

For me, I really like naming chapters for my novels. I also really like it when other authors do the same. It makes it easier to remember what chapter you were last on, and is helpful to me when I need to make sure I reference something from an older chapter properly.

I am curious what readers think about named chapters?

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
For me, I really like naming chapters for my novels. I also really like it when other authors do the same. It makes it easier to remember what chapter you were last on, and is helpful to me when I need to make sure I reference something from an older chapter properly.

I am curious what readers think about named chapters?
HUGE YES! I love naming and having named chapters

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Yes of course, not having name is a big no no. To the point I don't number my chapters, just the chapter name.

My conducts had only given me one incident so far, jumbled up one chapter's placement...

Cortavar

Yup, I'm with named chapters also!

And even better if you get to make an unspoilery name that's still interesting and/or whimsical.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Yes.

I always like having a gimmick for the title, it makes me come up with something that fits either the chapter and the gimmick.
Like the title of a song or starting with "Why" or something.
It's really fun.

bulmabriefs144

There are several ways to articulate chapters.
  1. just Chapter Number
  2. just a Name
  3. Chapter Number & Name
  4. Chapter Number then Subtext (I first saw this in Divine Comedy, where they mention "In which Dante meets...")
I don't like either type 1 or 2. #1 is boring, #2 you get lost on how many chapters you've read. I actually really like #4, but it's not commonly done, and can feel overdone if you don't have a good sense of humor.

J_Chemist

Yes but if my brain starts to hurt, I just slap a random title and send it. But I have a lot of chapters now and it's hard to avoid doubles sometimes.

Edit: I use numbers and titles. Helps keep track of where you are and also there's a name to go with it.

Succubiome

On Scribblehub I feel like it's basically a must? And yeah, very much helps when I'm like "hmm where did I write that?"

I don't think it matters that much on AO3.

I actually really like #4, but it's not commonly done, and can feel overdone if you don't have a good sense of humor.
I do this in I Was A Hero In Another World But My Dog-Girl Slave Swapped Places With Me And Now I Can’t Disobey Her.

Jerynboe

The first time I reposted my story to another website I left out the chapter names to save me 30 seconds per chapter. One of my readers was deeply offended and pressured me to go put them back in.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Yes. Named chapters will always be better than simple numbered ones. But if you wanna be like Frank Hebert, don't even number your chapters. Don't even call it a chapter. No number, no name, no nothing.

Vitou

Absolutely! Not naming them just looks boring and lazy. Just a number doesn't tell me anything.
You can do many things with a few words in the name. Making a pun for something that happens in that chapter, or you could even do some kind of foreshadowing. One of my favorite things to do is coming up with a cool chapter name. Although sometimes it can be a bit of a pain to think of one lol

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Naming is a big yes for me. Sometimes I put in an Easter Egg of sorts or keep a specific pattern. Like, in a story about Shadows, every chapter name had Shadow in it in some way.
I once wrote a book, every Title was a half sentence, they partially rhymed together as well, so when you took out every chapter title and put it next to each other, adding punctuations or broke the line sometimes, it turned into a lowkey poem, or at least a short story. The story it would tell is the story of the book, but unless you have actually read it, you won't be able to tell what happens. Because it's, of course, so concise and unspecific at the same time, sometimes even metaphorical, that you will only understand once you already know the story.