Writing Nature Magic

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
I see this type of magic a lot in stories, so I decided to put it into mine quite a while ago. The user, an elf, and the apostle of the Nature Goddess, is an elf. I figured this could work.

Until now I've been having her be the person who goes out a lot, since she often picks up seeds she finds in the area. Then she'd use these along with Overgrowth, a spell that would forcibly age the seed into it's adult form.

So it's like throwing out a flower seed, then using the spell, turning it into a full grown plant. But yeah, that's the general spell she uses. There was one spell she did use an arc back, which involved having a forest grow in the vicinity immediately, but that one isn't something she would use a lot.

I'm getting out of track here, but I wanted to know what other spells people have for this type of magic?

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
Plant manipulation, making new plants by mixing and matching using magic, using certain aspects of plants like poison or medicine or scent, wood golems, Plant monster familiars etc

Last edited:

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
It's basically her being a one of the force of nature since she can use nature to attack the intruder and defend her comrades.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Give her Plant Metamorphosis, turn it into an active skill that resembles the logia users in one piece.

Give her passives resembling internal mechanisms of a plant, like say, Photosynthesis?
Photosynthesis, allows the user to store energy through light, water, and soil. It sounds nice, right?
You can describe it as a branch of magic that focuses on enhancement, Nurturing Magic, a counterpart of Augmentation.

Last edited:

farmer

Give her an arsenal of plant v.s zombies plants. She'd have a plant gun that shoots bullet-like peas. She could have a sunflower plant take root into her body and heal her. There's a chomper plant slithering around her body that could snap and eat an entire person at a moment's notice

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Give her an arsenal of plant v.s zombies plants. She'd have a plant gun that shoots bullet-like peas. She could have a sunflower plant take root into her body and heal her. There's a chomper plant slithering around her body that could snap and eat an entire person at a moment's notice
Give her Plant Metamorphosis, turn it into an active skill that resembles the logia users in one piece.

Give her passives resembling internal mechanisms of a plant, like say, Photosynthesis?
Photosynthesis, allows the user to store energy through light, water, and soil. It sounds nice, right?
You can describe it as a branch of magic that focuses on enhancement, Nurturing Magic, a counterpart of Augmentation.
These are so helpful thanks

Squirrel

Water can also be added in this. So that her spell would contain both water and wood elements. In short,I meant water is life

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I am not sure this in the spirit of your story, but nature is not limited to plants.

Tsunamis, earthquakes, storms, blizzards and volcanoes are all part of nature. The also scale very well, so if she could cause them, she would not need to learn different spells as she grow more powerful. There is an issue of it having a massive area of attack, but nature doesn't really aim.

If you had no mention of any of that before, then it can be an area of improvement for her. Show her one of those things happening, and make her realize that nature is not limited to plants. From then on, she could research and explore this new facet of her magic, perhaps even pioneering new spells.

If you want to stay closer to plants, then it is a common ability for nature mages to turn into/talk to/control animals (ex. druids), and be able to give weak but long lasting blessings.

As for the spells relating to plants themselves, I think most of them would be non-combative. Agriculture is the foundation of almost every sedimentary civilization, so mage capable of doubling the output of a farm would be much valuable than one capable of destroying it. Our energy is limited, so it would not make much sense to devote valuable time to engineering offensive spells.
A few offensive spells must have been invented here and there, like firing wooden darts from a seed or something, but on a whole it would remain limited, and far from comparable to the arsenal of a fire wage whose magic is innately destructive.
However, they should have countless spells to help agriculture grow. For example, a spell to fertilize the earth, a spell to help crops grow on a large scale (in a more gentle and less costly way then overgrowth) , a spell to kill/remove pest, one to quicken growth, and perhaps one to control the environment so that plant can go all year everywhere.
This applies even if she live in a culture that relies on gathering the resources surrounding them. A natural forest is far from enough to feed a city, so she must have been busy constantly healing/rebuilding it so there are constantly new things to gather/hunt.
I would imagine there would be a competition between nature mages, trying to maximize the output of their farms, tailoring spells to the specific plants they would grow, and transforming their plants doing the magical equivalent to our GMO crops.

Jemini

I am not sure this in the spirit of your story, but nature is not limited to plants.

Tsunamis, earthquakes, storms, blizzards and volcanoes are all part of nature. The also scale very well, so if she could cause them, she would not need to learn different spells as she grow more powerful. There is an issue of it having a massive area of attack, but nature doesn't really aim.

If you had no mention of any of that before, then it can be an area of improvement for her. Show her one of those things happening, and make her realize that nature is not limited to plants. From then on, she could research and explore this new facet of her magic, perhaps even pioneering new spells.

If you want to stay closer to plants, then it is a common ability for nature mages to turn into/talk to/control animals (ex. druids), and be able to give weak but long lasting blessings.

As for the spells relating to plants themselves, I think most of them would be non-combative. Agriculture is the foundation of almost every sedimentary civilization, so mage capable of doubling the output of a farm would be much valuable than one capable of destroying it. Our energy is limited, so it would not make much sense to devote valuable time to engineering offensive spells.
A few offensive spells must have been invented here and there, like firing wooden darts from a seed or something, but on a whole it would remain limited, and far from comparable to the arsenal of a fire wage whose magic is innately destructive.
However, they should have countless spells to help agriculture grow. For example, a spell to fertilize the earth, a spell to help crops grow on a large scale (in a more gentle and less costly way then overgrowth) , a spell to kill/remove pest, one to quicken growth, and perhaps one to control the environment so that plant can go all year everywhere.
This applies even if she live in a culture that relies on gathering the resources surrounding them. A natural forest is far from enough to feed a city, so she must have been busy constantly healing/rebuilding it so there are constantly new things to gather/hunt.
I would imagine there would be a competition between nature mages, trying to maximize the output of their farms, tailoring spells to the specific plants they would grow, and transforming their plants doing the magical equivalent to our GMO crops.

Agreed. A name like "nature magic" is a little too broad for what OP is talking about here. I think a better idea would be to just call it "plant magic."

I have plant magic as a major focus in my world as well, my MC also being an elf and absurdly powerful with it, but I think the angle I'm taking with it might not be entirely suitable for what you've been talking about. I take something of a D&D vibe, and have even adapted a few D&D spells. There's a long sequence I have in which one of my plant mages turns his own arm into wood, just so he can later cast more plant spells on his arm in order to have it whip around like go-go-gadget arms. Of the spells I've used, that one is probably the most suitable for what you're doing.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩

I would imagine there would be a competition between nature mages, trying to maximize the output of their farms, tailoring spells to the specific plants they would grow, and transforming their plants doing the magical equivalent to our GMO crops
You know, you're right. For the third line, btw, by being the Nature Apostle, the planet and it's inhabitants already love her. So she's basically good friends with a lot of animals.

And yeah, I didn't think about causing disasters. But maybe that's a bit too far from her reach for now.

For your second to last line, she's an elf. She used to live on the nonhuman continent, but went over to the human continent, where the MC lives.

Now that I think about it though, maybe Nature is a too broad word to describe her magic lmao. But I've gone this far, so I'll think about what you said and might add some stuff. Thanks :blob_evil_two:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I see this type of magic a lot in stories, so I decided to put it into mine quite a while ago. The user, an elf, and the apostle of the Nature Goddess, is an elf. I figured this could work.

Until now I've been having her be the person who goes out a lot, since she often picks up seeds she finds in the area. Then she'd use these along with Overgrowth, a spell that would forcibly age the seed into it's adult form.

So it's like throwing out a flower seed, then using the spell, turning it into a full grown plant. But yeah, that's the general spell she uses. There was one spell she did use an arc back, which involved having a forest grow in the vicinity immediately, but that one isn't something she would use a lot.

I'm getting out of track here, but I wanted to know what other spells people have for this type of magic?
One of Ai-chan unpublished stories have the premise that everyone who wants to use magic need to have a contract with the source of magic. And sources of magic are fundamentally different in its quality and abilities. For example, forming a contract with a volcano allows one to use powerful fire magic while contracting with a small bonfire allows one to use weak fire magic, and it ceases to work if the source of the magic is dead.

One tree magic allows the user to make use of spatial magic, the ability to move from one spot to another, similar to windwalk but it's tree-walk as long as it's inside the forest. It also allows the user to disorient encroachers by changing the directions in the forest, so that going east actually makes the person go south and going up actually leads to another part of the forest. It's like a labyrinth that is always trolling you.

Another tree magic allows the user to have dominion to every woodland creature.

Another tree magic allows the user to regenerate their wounds and recover from afflictions as trees do when they're injured.

Another tree magic allows the creation of completely new seeds.

Another tree magic allows the person to link to every tree, weed, grass and fungi in the world.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
One of Ai-chan unpublished stories have the premise that everyone who wants to use magic needs to have a contract with the source of magic. And sources of magic are fundamentally different in its quality and abilities.

One tree magic allows the user to make use of spatial magic, the ability to move from one spot to another, similar to windwalk but it's tree-walk as long as it's inside the forest. It also allows the user to disorient encroachers by changing the directions in the forest, so that going east actually makes the person go south and going up actually leads to another part of the forest. It's like a labyrinth that is always trolling you.

Another tree magic allows the user to have dominion to every woodland creature.

Another tree magic allows the user to regenerate their wounds and recover from afflictions as trees do when they're injured.

Another tree magic allows the creation of completely new seeds.

Another tree magic allows the person to link to every tree, weed, grass and fungi in the world.
So is a person allowed to unlock more trees?

Ai-chan

So is a person allowed to unlock more trees?
Not sure what you meant by 'unlock more trees'. The trees, called Heart of Nature is always there. All you need to do is reach it, touch it and implore it to make a contract with you. Farmers do a lesser contract with their crops so that they grow stronger and bear more fruit, but since wheat are not 20,000 years old and gets cut at harvest, the magic they get from these crops are miniscule.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Not sure what you meant by 'unlock more trees'. The trees, called Heart of Nature is always there. All you need to do is reach it, touch it and implore it to make a contract with you. Farmers do a lesser contract with their crops so that they grow stronger and bear more fruit, but since wheat are not 20,000 years old and gets cut at harvest, the magic they get from these crops are miniscule.
Oh I see. I thought it was like everybody could only have one contract.

Ai-chan

Oh I see. I thought it was like everybody could only have one contract.
Anyone can make any number of minor contracts. But you can only have 1 main contract.

Minor contract grants the use of lesser powers, such as in the case of Heart of Preservation, they can use pocket dimension and disorientation, but that's it. Think of it as a limited-time trial.

A person who has main contract with The Heart of Preservation will be able to affect the whole forest and tree-walk to any tree at will. But it is treated as them being the same as the child of the Heart of Preservation, so they need to protect the forest. And if they die, they return to the forest and reincarnate as an ent or dryad.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Anyone can make any number of minor contracts. But you can only have 1 main contract.

Minor contract grants the use of lesser powers, such as in the case of Heart of Preservation, they can use pocket dimension and disorientation, but that's it. Think of it as a limited-time trial.

A person who has main contract with The Heart of Preservation will be able to affect the whole forest and tree-walk to any tree at will. But it is treated as them being the same as the child of the Heart of Preservation, so they need to protect the forest. And if they die, they return to the forest and reincarnate as an ent or dryad.
That's interesting. When is this story releasing? I wanna read it.