Need feedback on a story pls

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
your profile is disabled so I can't access it.

Paul_Tromba

So there is a fair amount to unpack here. I would definitely work on grammar and descriptions as there is a lot of grammatical mistakes throughout and there are very few proper descriptions. Grammarly can help with the grammar issue but the descriptions really need some work. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on as it is mainly dialogue. That and the dialogue does not seem human, it seems more scripted than an actual human conversation. The exposition in the first chapter lacked good descriptions and realistic scientific properties so it was hard to follow along with. The latter three chapters are good but still lack good grammar and proper descriptions. All in all, it's hard to follow along with but the premise has a lot of potentials. With a lot of reworking, it could do very well as a novel.

Erivva

So there is a fair amount to unpack here. I would definitely work on grammar and descriptions as there is a lot of grammatical mistakes throughout and there are very few proper descriptions. Grammarly can help with the grammar issue but the descriptions really need some work. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on as it is mainly dialogue. That and the dialogue does not seem human, it seems more scripted than an actual human conversation. The exposition in the first chapter lacked good descriptions and realistic scientific properties so it was hard to follow along with. The latter three chapters are good but still lack good grammar and proper descriptions. All in all, it's hard to follow along with but the premise has a lot of potentials. With a lot of reworking, it could do very well as a novel.
Thank you and I would gladly wait for your review. And I’ve heard of grammarly but it doesn’t work so well unless you pay. And thank you so much for helping me.

Paul_Tromba

Thank you and I would gladly wait for your review. And I’ve heard of grammarly but it doesn’t work so well unless you pay. And thank you so much for helping me.
Grammarly works great for free. I've never paid for Grammarly and it has helped me tremendously.

Linko

I only have time to read the first chapter now, but from what I could gather: It's not exactly bad, but a bit strange. For example, the words "Project PQW" were said 24 times in the first chapter, really at some point you should just refer to it as project/work or anything that would make sense. The dialogues also felt strange, like people don't speak in that way. I may give my opinion on the rest later, but for now that's it.

Erivva

Grammarly works great for free. I've never paid for Grammarly and it has helped me tremendously.
Oh, well sometimes’s it changes what I’m trying to say, which annoys me a lot, but it partially helps in some areas.
I only have time to read the first chapter now, but from what I could gather: It's not exactly bad, but a bit strange. For example, the words "Project PQW" were said 24 times in the first chapter, really at some point you should just refer to it as project/work or anything that would make sense. The dialogues also felt strange, like people don't speak in that way. I may give my opinion on the rest later, but for now that's it.
Okay then, thank you. I’ll wait for your full feedback.

Paul_Tromba

Oh, well sometimes’s it changes what I’m trying to say, which annoys me a lot, but it partially helps in some areas.
It's probably changing your way for the better. It's what it is supposed to do. I also hate it when it changes what I want to say but it is doing it because what I'm saying is incorrect grammatically. If it is changing it to something different than what you want to say then it probably means you need to reword it to make a proper sentence. Good Grammar is necessary for a good story so use it. Don't dismiss what it does just because you don't like it.

Linko

After reading everything, I believe there's too much dialogue. Dialogue can be a useful tool to progress the plot, but sometimes it's better to have the protagonist figure things out for themselves. It is a bit hard to follow the scenes as there is little description of the environment and all of that.
The story could also use some proper editing in some parts that unnatural to read.

If I were to give it a rating from 1 to 5, then I would give this one 3.5/5 for the potential.

Edit: I would recommend longer chapters, 2000-3000 words per chapter should be good enough if you decide to detail more the scenes.

Erivva

Unfortunately I can't since it's a specific object. Not just a project but a robot. That's the name
After reading everything, I believe there's too much dialogue. Dialogue can be a useful tool to progress the plot, but sometimes it's better to have the protagonist figure things out for themselves. It is a bit hard to follow the scenes as there is little description of the environment and all of that.
The story could also use some proper editing in some parts that unnatural to read.

If I were to give it a rating from 1 to 5, then I would give this one 3.5/5 for the potential.

Edit: I would recommend longer chapters, 2000-3000 words per chapter should be good enough if you decide to detail more the scenes.
Ohh. Okay thank you, I'll try to make my scene's more detailed.
It's probably changing your way for the better. It's what it is supposed to do. I also hate it when it changes what I want to say but it is doing it because what I'm saying is incorrect grammatically. If it is changing it to something different than what you want to say then it probably means you need to reword it to make a proper sentence. Good Grammar is necessary for a good story so use it. Don't dismiss what it does just because you don't like it.
Oky thank you

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
https://www.scribblehub.com/profile/Me and my friend made a partnership to write a story. However I would like to see people’s view on the story and try to improve it. here’s the link to our profile and books.
If it doesn’t work pls you can access it from my book.
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/452479/reborn-to-be-queen-of-an-empire/
"Hikari you traitor!" a young dark-skinned woman with white robes cursed as she gritted her teeth in pain. Blood was pouring out from her belly.

“Hikari… you… traitor!” the woman with blood pouring out from the wound in her belly gritted her teeth in pain as cursed at the woman before. Her white robes, originally a contrast to her dark skin is now stained with an expanding crimson bloom.

Focus on what matters first. In this case, there is blood pouring out from her belly. That is very important. Her white robe is not important other than to specify that she's part of the staff.

She looked at the ten people before her. They were all wearing white robes like her and are the great researchers and scientists of earth.

She looked at the ten people standing before her with anger and disappointment. All of them were wearing the same white robes like her. Like her, they were all great researchers and scientists, perhaps among the best in the world.

Don't clutter your composition. It makes it harder to read. And also stiffens your style. Don't put too much into one sentence. You're not trying to make a point on how awesome you are at creating the longest sentence in the world.

"There is nowhere to run, so now hand over Project PQW!" A fair woman with short purple hair and black eyes said with a smug look on her face. She also wore a scientist robe which displayed her beautiful figure.

“There’s nowhere to run now. Why don’t you just hand over Project PQW? Who knows, maybe I’ll even be nice and let you go.” One of them, a fair-skinned woman with short bottle-purple hair and black eyes said with a smug grin. The unflattering, loose white robe failed to hide her curvy figure.

For someone smug, the purple hair scientist sounds awfully desperate and angry. Also, what is 'beautiful figure'? Describe it with words.

"Do you think I would give it to you knowing your intentions?" The dark-skinned woman snarled at the fair woman.

“Kuh… you think… I would give it...? Knowing your intentions?” the dark-skinned woman snarled at the fair-skinned woman.

She is awfully coherent while suffering such injury.

"The world is dying and we've been placed in a dire situation. So how could you all fight for power over Project PQW?" The dark-skinned woman yelled in frustration as she looked at the group of scientists.

“The world is… dying… and you… fight over this…?” the dark-skinned woman yelled in frustration at their betrayal.

She seems to be talking a lot with blood pouring out of her belly. Nobody does that. Not even Tupac Shakur when he was shot twice and left for dead.

"Only a fool wouldn't know that project PQW has the power to control the world," another scientist bellowed as they stared at the teenager at the end of the hall with greedy eyes.

“Only a fool couldn’t see the potential of Project PQW. With it, we can control the world!” another scientist laughed as he stared at the teenager, with eyes full of greed.

You do not need the 'end of the hall'. Nobody cares. Your readers definitely won't. It's needless detail that has no bearing whatsoever in the story. It would have context if you instead start the chapter with her attempting to escape but was shot from the back or something. But as of now, it is useless detail.

Now, those are examples of how you could improve. Here is Ai-chan's impression. Do not get offended, Ai-chan has no malicious feelings about giving this feedback so please take this with an open mind:

1. Project PQW is mentioned WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much! Get rid of most of the instances of such mentions. Replace them with 'my project', or 'the project' or 'my baby' or 'endeavour' or 'this project' or 'salvation'. Just think of something. You use this way too much. It gets to the point that just seeing this word makes Ai-chan sigh and lose interest in reading the rest of the paragraph. Special nouns should be used sparingly, not liberally. Here's a tip, reduce it to less than 5 in each 2000 words chapter.

2. You're not putting yourself in their shoes. The dialogues are too robotic, with no feelings or personality behind them. Some of these dialogues would not even be said in real life. For example: "Everyone run!!" nobody would say this as the facility is about to explode. They would say, "Out! Out! Out!" or "Outoutoutout!" or "Run!!!" or "Out of my way!" Personality is important, even for mob characters.

3. Ai-chan guesses you've never felt debilitating pain before. Those with debilitating pain would not be coherent in their speech, not even if they're some qigong master. It is very painful when your stomach is cut open to the point that blood poured out of it. When it happens, it gets extremely hard to do anything else, even your eyes would lose focus and your joints would refuse to obey you. That's why when people had that kind of injury, they'd just lie down or drag themselves with their hands. At that point, your legs are just gone. You can still use your legs, but it can't even hold your own weight.

4. You need to identify what is important in your story. In many cases, you focused on something unimportant, while putting the important bit to the side as if an afterthought. As a new author, you don't need to give a 'wow' sentence, just knowing what is important and what is not is a good way forward. Put the important thing on top, not on the bottom.

5. Now for the good news, the length is fine. You just need to provide proper details.

Last edited:

Erivva

"Hikari you traitor!" a young dark-skinned woman with white robes cursed as she gritted her teeth in pain. Blood was pouring out from her belly.

“Hikari… you… traitor!” the woman with blood pouring out from the wound in her belly gritted her teeth in pain as cursed at the woman before. Her white robes, originally a contrast to her dark skin is now stained with an expanding crimson bloom.

Focus on what matters first. In this case, there is blood pouring out from her belly. That is very important. Her white robe is not important other than to specify that she's part of the staff.

She looked at the ten people before her. They were all wearing white robes like her and are the great researchers and scientists of earth.

She looked at the ten people standing before her with anger and disappointment. All of them were wearing the same white robes like her. Like her, they were all great researchers and scientists, perhaps among the best in the world.

Don't clutter your composition. It makes it harder to read. And also stiffens your style. Don't put too much into one sentence. You're not trying to make a point on how awesome you are at creating the longest sentence in the world.

"There is nowhere to run, so now hand over Project PQW!" A fair woman with short purple hair and black eyes said with a smug look on her face. She also wore a scientist robe which displayed her beautiful figure.

“There’s nowhere to run now. Why don’t you just hand over Project PQW? Who knows, maybe I’ll even be nice and let you go.” One of them, a fair-skinned woman with short bottle-purple hair and black eyes said with a smug grin. The unflattering, loose white robe failed to hide her curvy figure.

For someone smug, the purple hair scientist sounds awfully desperate and angry. Also, what is 'beautiful figure'? Describe it with words.

"Do you think I would give it to you knowing your intentions?" The dark-skinned woman snarled at the fair woman.

“Kuh… you think… I would give it...? Knowing your intentions?” the dark-skinned woman snarled at the fair-skinned woman.

She is awfully coherent while suffering such injury.

"The world is dying and we've been placed in a dire situation. So how could you all fight for power over Project PQW?" The dark-skinned woman yelled in frustration as she looked at the group of scientists.

“The world is… dying… and you… fight over this…?” the dark-skinned woman yelled in frustration at their betrayal.

She seems to be talking a lot with blood pouring out of her belly. Nobody does that. Not even Tupac Shakur when he was shot twice and left for dead.

"Only a fool wouldn't know that project PQW has the power to control the world," another scientist bellowed as they stared at the teenager at the end of the hall with greedy eyes.

“Only a fool couldn’t see the potential of Project PQW. With it, we can control the world!” another scientist laughed as he stared at the teenager, with eyes full of greed.

You do not need the 'end of the hall'. Nobody cares. Your readers definitely won't. It's needless detail that has no bearing whatsoever in the story. It would have context if you instead start the chapter with her attempting to escape but was shot from the back or something. But as of now, it is useless detail.

Now, those are examples of how you could improve. Here is Ai-chan's impression. Do not get offended, Ai-chan has no malicious feelings about giving this feedback so please take this with an open mind:

1. Project PQW is mentioned WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much! Get rid of most of the instances of such mentions. Replace them with 'my project', or 'the project' or 'my baby' or 'endeavour' or 'this project' or 'salvation'. Just think of something. You use this way too much. It gets to the point that just seeing this word makes Ai-chan sigh and lose interest in reading the rest of the paragraph. Special nouns should be used sparingly, not liberally. Here's a tip, reduce it to less than 5 in each 2000 words chapter.

2. You're not putting yourself in their shoes. The dialogues are too robotic, with no feelings or personality behind them. Some of these dialogues would not even be said in real life. For example: "Everyone run!!" nobody would say this as the facility is about to explode. They would say, "Out! Out! Out!" or "Outoutoutout!" or "Run!!!" or "Out of my way!" Personality is important, even for mob characters.

3. Ai-chan guesses you've never felt debilitating pain before. Those with debilitating pain would not be coherent in their speech, not even if they're some qigong master. It is very painful when your stomach is cut open to the point that blood poured out of it. When it happens, it gets extremely hard to do anything else, even your eyes would lose focus and your joints would refuse to obey you. That's why when people had that kind of injury, they'd just lie down or drag themselves with their hands. At that point, your legs are just gone. You can still use your legs, but it can't even hold your own weight.

4. You need to identify what is important in your story. In many cases, you focused on something unimportant, while putting the important bit to the side as if an afterthought. As a new author, you don't need to give a 'wow' sentence, just knowing what is important and what is not is a good way forward. Put the important thing on top, not on the bottom.

5. Now for the good news, the length is fine. You just need to provide proper details.

Thank you so much Ai Chan I actually never realised and you've opened my eyes. Now I think about it the story does feel unrealistic. And also if I may ask, the part that you said about Project PQW. It's kinda the name of the robot so do I give i a much more easy going name?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Thank you so much Ai Chan I actually never realised and you've opened my eyes. Now I think about it the story does feel unrealistic. And also if I may ask, the part that you said about Project PQW. It's kinda the name of the robot so do I give i a much more easy going name?
Glad you're open to improvements. About the name, the problem is not the name itself. You can name it Project Holy Titties and nobody would care much. The problem is you said it too many times in a single chapter. You have to reduce the instances of it being mentioned. From a single quick sweep from top to bottom, Ai-chan can tell you that half of Project PQW's instances could've been removed easily and it wouldn't affect the story for sure.

Just imagine yourself going to McDonalds for lunch. You told your friends you want to go to McD, and they agreed, McD sounds good. Then you said let's queue up at McD's counter, and your friends said, yes, you're in McD. Then when you order, you asked for McD's BigMac, McD's Coke, McD's spicy chicken and McD's fries. Now your friends are all weirded out, because you were already in McD and so of course you would be ordering McD's food, so why is the need to specify McD when ordering? Then when you sit down, you suggested sitting at a McD 4 seat table, which is a weird thing to emphasize because you are in McD after all, all the seats are McD's. And once you sit down, you said there's no McD chilli at the table, so you went to the table next to yours and asked if you could borrow a bottle of McD's chillis. Then once you sat down, you realize you forgot to get the spoon for the salads, so you ask one of your friends who had already stood up to get you a McD spoon near McD's counter, next to the McD staff in front of the McD counter.

See in this case, all the McDs are unnecessary except one or two. Special nouns should never be mentioned too many times, unless, you give the special noun a voice. In this case, McD said, McD sighed, McD rolled up its sleeves and slapped you in the face, McD jumped off the counter in anger. That turns McD into a proper noun instead of a special noun, turning McD from a fast food parlour into an actionable character, an anthropomorphized fast food restaurant.