Need help with tension and interest!

Torii

Like the title says!

I like writing isekai fantasies because I enjoyed reading them. However -- I feel clueless about what creates reader interest and tension in my stuff. I'm not sure where people feel tension. I'm not sure what people feel interested in. I do try to apply things I've picked up. And I do do things that (seemingly) do generate interest. But I have no idea where they're effective or just weak...

True, I can read what I write. But I can't feel interest over my own work. I can feel satisfied about how something turned out...but I can't have an authentic reaction to it. I can't use my own reaction, because it's so distorted by my interests as the creator... And consequently I feel like I'm driving with no headlights on.

I want to dive into another person's head and have access to a fresh mind. But barring that, I need help with some feedback.

https://www.scribblehub.com/profile/9952/

Thanks!

Elateam

Fish and Chips Salesperson
I can't really speak for what generates reader interest other than just keep releasing chapters at your own pace.

For tension I've tried doing many things. I don't know if I get it right either so bear with me.

I use pacing as one way to build tension. the shorter the sentences are the faster the reader thinks they are reading (or that's how I was told in school; check my prologue in my series for an idea but there's probably a better example on the site).

Another way is by foreshadowing. Foreshadowing helps creates tension in it's own way by alluding to something that'll happen later on in your story. I use animals for this purpose in my novel (though, it's not really apparent until later on).

A third way is using the senses. When you relate to the senses, especially sounds, the reader can imagine it and, for the lack of a better word, 'ride' the tension which is what I do a bit too much in my current chapter releases ;).

A final one is diction. The right word choice tends to build or loosen tension and this usually reinforces all of the above (I believe).

Hopefully this helps a little.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
I found that adding in some intrigue through mystery always keeps a reader's interest. Leave behind a little question or two, regarding a character or setting, and they will read more to find out what happens. But then again, I am mainly a psychological romance writer, so my audience wants these type of intrigue points.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Tension and interest needs ingredients, those being a problem and an unknown solution.

Firstly, the problem must be relevant, foreseen but not expected, and surprising at the same time.

Take for example; you have a dead child's body. You have the post mortem being the most iron clad case you've ever seen with the suspect's prints all over. As you go for the arrest you find out that the killer himself has been dead 20 years ago.

It's relevant, expected but surprising at the same time. It must pack a punch with a lingering flavor of damn, the next chapter won't come any sooner. And if you can manage that tension, you've found yourself an interesting plot to go for.

Look for the other sides. Look for places you wouldn't see; perspectives you wouldn't expect and cases you've never thought of. Rack your brains, think them up and if you put enough effort, the fruits will come by themselves.

hueyhare

So I don't know the genre, but this is something used all over the place to increase tension. Add a time limit.

If the the MCs are trying to protect a political leader, give them the time of day that an assassination attempt is going to happen. If they are looking for a murderer, maybe the villain kills a new person each day and his next target is someone close to the MCs. If they are in school maybe their pass/fail final test is at noon the next day, but tonight is also a party at the house of the most popular kid in school. Will they study and commit social suicide or will they go to the party and possibly fail the class?

Another trick often used to create tension is raising the stakes for the villain. There's a phrase (that I may be butchering) that goes something like this: "If they gave Luke a lightsaber, they had to give Darth Vader a death star." It's referring to Star Wars and it means that for every benefit you give your MC the villain needs to be twice as powerful. If it looks like the MC is just going to steamroll your antagonist, the reader might not stick around to see what happens. But if the MC is faced with insurmountable odds, there is this constant question lingering in the back of the readers head: "Will the MC do it? Will they survive? Will they find the killer? Will they pass high school? Will they save the planet?" The more the reader cares about the outcome of that question, or the more you make them care about it as the author, the more likely they'll stay for the ending.

Granted, I'm a new writer too. I'm only 57,000 words into my first story, so take what you will. These are just some tactics that I've seen used in all kinds of media like books, TV, movies, roleplaying games, comics, etc. I hope that helps! Good luck with your story!

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Just some random ideas:
  • set a goal to archieve
  • mysterious secrets to unveil
  • make the mc not to OP, give him restrictions or obstacles in the way
  • subplots, it gives depth to your story
  • cliffhangers